Need Help Purchasing First MacBook

rockymtnhigh said:
Sophos is fine. McAfee just seemed to be a bit of a memory hog. Sophos hasn't really done anything in the year I have had it, but its there and satisfies the IT-bureaucrats.

One quick additional q ... Would you know the difference between MS Office and MS Office Academic? Seems Academic allows a cloud type productivity piece, but cannot find any other difference.

One quick additional q ... Would you know the difference between MS Office and MS Office Academic? Seems Academic allows a cloud type productivity piece, but cannot find any other difference.

For the Mac, there should be no difference. Office 2011 for Mac includes Word, Powerpoint, Excel, and Outlook. Does the college have a software-purchase discount? At the school I teach at, it cost less than $50 for students to get office.

I thought it was nothing more than a name that req'd an "edu" type email to validate it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Hall said:
I thought it was nothing more than a name that req'd an "edu" type email to validate it.

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk

Actually first is free and second is $100; guess just get first for that reason but was still curious :)

I know there is a Student/Teacher version of Office for the Mac that has a street price of ~$100 and lets you run on up to three machines. Since my son just started high school we're still eligible. No Outlook, though.

Too bad you weren't able to wait until after the new Mac Book Airs and Pros were announced. The mid-2012 13" Airs dropped $100 from the mid-2011 versions (the one I bought) and have roughly 25-50% better performance. But the big addition is the two USB 3 ports on the Ivy Bridge Macs. Thunderbolt is awesome, but overkill for most users. USB 3 will have more affordable peripherals and better selection, too.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)