Need help setting up an OS Mio+ for use with a manually operated dish motor

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

N6BY

Geek
Original poster
Lifetime Supporter
Mar 1, 2006
Roseville, CA 121W
So far I have been using my OS Mio+ only with a fixed 1.2M dish aimed at 99W.

Today I bolted the 1.2M dish onto my Birdview motor. The Birdview motor is powered by a GBox, which is not connected to the Mio and does not use USALS. (I just move the motor east or west using the motor's remote control).

I am stumped as to how to add another satellite to Tuner A. Currently it just has one satellite (99W).

How do I setup the Mio+ for use with a manually operated motor?

EDIT: Forgot to mention that I am using TNAP

Think of each signal path as a LNB profile. If running a single KU LNB, use LNB 1 for all KU satellites.

If you have a single LNBF on a manually controlled motorized dish and do not want automatic dish positioning (not sure why you wouldn't want automatic dish positioning), do not activate any switch or motor settings. Just configure the signal path for each satellite and save.

Open Tuner Configuration menu
Configuation mode:advanced
Satellite: Select the target satellite from the list (hint: the white PVR button displays a satellite list for easy selection).
LNB: LNB1
Priority:Auto
Type of LNB/device: Select the LNB type and LO
Voltage mode: Polarization
Increased voltage: off
Tone mode: off
DiSEqC mode: none

If you only want to set-up 1 satellite, stop here and press the Green RCU button or OK. If you want to add multiple satellites to the available satellites list, repeat the above steps and only change the selected satellite with all other settings as described above. Once all desired satellites are activated and saved by pressing the Green RCU button or OK, exit to blind scan menu.

Aim the dish at the first satellite by using the controller box, then perform a blind scan if that satellite. Aim the dish at the next satellite and blind scan that satellite. Repeat.

Sure would be easier to program the STB to signal the controller box to move automatically using DiSEqC 1.2. Btw... the TNAP has an auto focus (find and peak) function that communicates with a controller using DiSEqC 1.2 to locate a satellite based on a unique transponder then optimizes the signal quality.

Thanks Brian. You talked me through it. :)

Not knowing about LNB Profiles and getting the satellite list to appear are where I was stuck (but now it all makes sense).

I have avoided DiSEqC in the past because my Birdview motor has some 'slop', and the numeric position on the GBox varies depending on which direction the dish is moving. But I think I will give it a try after I get it the dish aligned to the arc.

Reactions: Titanium
Now I have scanned several satellites. When I press the 'Sat' button it gives me a channel list for the most recently scanned satellite. When I press the green button to choose different satellites it lists three categories for each satellite 'Services', 'Providers', and 'New'. I understand the first two, but what is 'New' for? There is nothing listed there. (Just curious).

I think the reason I am having questions is that this receiver is very rich in features! You can do so much with it and it absolutely blows away all receivers that I have ever had before.

Last edited:
The NEW sort category displays the latest services found during the latest service scan (if the service scan was performed on the selected satellite). Example: If I performed a service scan on 103w C-band, the NEW service sort for 103w C-band would display the services found during this service scan. If you selected 99w C-band NEW sort, no services would be displayed as the last service scan was for 103w, not 99w.

If the uplinker did not properly identify the service type as TV or Radio, the found services will be displayed in this list, but will not populate to either the TV or Radio lists. You may save these orphaned (unlabeled) services in a custom favorites list.

Reactions: N6BY and k.r.
Ahh. The ole' sat button.
Look into a channel editor. I'm using E-Channelizer.
What it will let you do is read the scanned channels on your receiver into a pc. There you can create what's known as a Bouquet.
You can then organize and sort channels per satellite. Think of it as having multiple electronic program guides on 1 cable box, but having multiple cable providers wired into it.
Example. I have 127W Galaxy 13 as one "bouquet", another 105W AMC 15.
Then I can press the EPG button and select a sat and channel to watch.
The only thing that sucks is the EPG isn't populated with the schedule for most every channel.

And yes. Last scanned is just that. You have to put last scanned channels into a bouquet and save it or the next scan will overwrite what was there.

Right guys?

Reactions: N6BY
You are right, Last Scanned channels will overwrite on a new scan if not copied to a user bouquet first.

However, for creating new user bouquets, you can do that right within the OpenWebIF screen. In fact, I prefer that way over all others because it's so simple for most jobs, and why deal with even more confusion with an outside channel editor? I've tried a few, and don't like any of them as much as just OpenWebIF's built-in one.

Reactions: Titanium and N6BY
You are right, Last Scanned channels will overwrite on a new scan if not copied to a user bouquet first.

However, for creating new user bouquets, you can do that right within the OpenWebIF screen. In fact, I prefer that way over all others because it's so simple for most jobs, and why deal with even more confusion with an outside channel editor? I've tried a few, and don't like any of them as much as just OpenWebIF's built-in one.
Oh. Hey. Never tried that. Just did though.
For a noob a channel editor is probably the way to go.
Last scanned channels can be sorted in a flash.
Unreceivable, channels you'll never (or cannot) watch can be shift+click, ctrl+click , deleted in groups....easy.
Drag and drop into a new bouquet is just as easy.
Picons...those little channel icons you can download into a directory and copy, rename to match the channel. Easy as pie.
Save the database, lamedb,....where it will be safe. Because things happen. Or create copies of it...because maybe you want to.
Flash a new image, flash a slot?....There it is. Blow your entire bouquet list and picons right into the image.
If there is any confusion not using the webif. I don't see it. That's how I learned from others who were patient to give help and offer tips. I started using Dreambox Editor until it had bugs since worked out. The free version of E-Channelizer and about 2 minutes to configure. Both work with the usual Windows shortcuts and way of thinking.
And again. If your box takes a puke. Or you want to try a new image. And don't want to worry about cross image compatibility. You have a backup.
Crap. I'll send you my lamedb and picons to play with and get you started. It covers something like 133W to 47W C-Band.