Need New LNB, which is the best

Status
Please reply by conversation.

spongella

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 12, 2012
Central NJ
It's time to replace my old universal Ku LNB, am looking for the best performer on the market. Anyone have an opinion?

A tangential question. I have a 90CM dish with a LNB. Would a LNBF be better or are the terms interchangeable b/c they both have feedhorns? Yes another amateur here.

Reactions: spongella
A LNBF is a LNB with built in feed horn. Very popular with Ku/Ka bands because it is so small. LNBF's at C-Band are also very common now. An LNB does not have a built in Feedhorn. You have to have a feedhorn to match with it to use it. Your 90cm dish most likely has an LNBF all in one unit.

Reactions: spongella
For ultimate performance you want the matching feedhorn for your dish, and the best PLL LNBs. These LNBs can be $250 each.
The cost of upgrading to high end PLL units can be offset by purchasing a larger dish and a PLL LNBF. There are some new PLL LNBF models that are relatively inexpensive and perform quite well. A new 1.2m dish, and HH120 motor, and PLL LNBF would likely cost about the same as one PLL LNB, and the bigger dish would likely give you better performance than the high end PLL LNBs on your current dish IMHO.
Post some pictures of your current setup so we have a starting point. We always like pictures... worth a thousand words they say... :)

Here's what I have "Patriot 36x31" Offset Ku Dish with Avenger 0.2dB NF Universal Single Ku LNB." Would a LNB with no feedhorn even work?

P1010049.JPG

Here (other side of the pond) one of the best performers is Inverto Black Ultra or IBU. It has integrated feedhorn and called an LNB, even company than produces it, calls it LNB. But to not confuse public there is picture of this LNB. Price is about 15 ish.
IDLB-SINL40-ULTRA-OPP.jpg

Just because Inverto incorrectly calls it a LNB, doesn't make it so.... Yes, it is an LNB, but also has an integrated feedhorn/scalar. The rest of the industry calls it a LNBF. :D

Inverto also calls this a LNB:
Inverto-Black-Pro-Twin-Flange-LNB-IDLB-TWNF00-OOPRO-OPP-C120.jpg

I had so many Brits asking if the Titanium Satellite LNBFs were LNBs, that I added the search word LNB to the descriptions. Not sure how this discrepancy started, but it sure is confusing and causes needless support questions!

Reactions: KE4EST
Than not only Inverto but all the rest producers (well, majority of them) call devices with integrated feedhorns- LNB. At least it is true in Europe.

OK, it is understandable difference, I am not arguing. BTW, in Wiki we also can find explanation like this: ScreenHunter_482 Sep. 22 20.53.jpg

Thanks fellas for the information. I like to use a Universal LNB on Ku even though there are few FTA stations needing it. One though is RASD-TV on 45W.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts