Neighbors

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I once had a job where the view out my office window was one of these (Torus antenna):

torus-700.jpg

I actually thought that it was beautiful. Loved looking at it.

If I was rich enough and lived on enough land, I'd have one of those.
Nice dish! I would LOVE that in my backyard.

Yep, looks like I'll have to print out a copy of OTARD rules and talk to the landlord before the crank or her friend complains to him. I heard a visitor say "wow, that's a big antenna" last evening. His mother said "yeah, it's not supposed to be there." I hate making waves after only being here a couple weeks, but the antenna's not coming down unless someone else wants to pay for my cable. Even then, the dish is going up.

OTARD only protects OTA and pizza dishes.
Yep, one ota antenna and one dish. Completely within the balcony (area of exclusive use) with no holes drilled anywhere. The antenna is designed for channels 2-69 so it's pretty wide at one end, but only a little over 3 feet long so it fits on the balcony no problem on its stand.

Lesson to be learned here if one wants a dish farm or a dish size not allowed in a HOA neighborhood or apt complex...Move to the country and live life free...Where I live the area was settled in 1757 and not much has changed...No HOA or BS to deal with here except on occasion when my neighbor wants to park his 18 wheeler along my dish line and block many sats....We have that prob no longer as it got squared away real quick!....Bottom line is live somewhere you are not contained!!!..Our govt is bad enough so don`t let neighbors add to that misery!.

I'm not sure OTARD restricts you to only one pizza dish.

Under OTARD you are allowed OTA antennas (any size) and dishes 3ft across or less. And you are allowed as many as you want.

Heh, you guys married the wrong women! I've got 3 ten footers up now and a 6 footer on the ground and my Wife says nothing as she enjoys watching FREE TV with me! She even helps me via her cell phone when I have to tweak on them. I told her the other day that I was going to put up another Ku only motorized dish and the only thing she asked was where I was going to put that one.

As for HMOs, no way I'd put up with that crap. I bought a 10 acre wooded lot back in 1999 and put the new house in the middle of it. I can piss off my front porch and there's no one around to point and giggle and I like it that way! My nearest neighbor is a quarter mile from me and I can't see anything but the roof of his house in winter time. Summer time I can't see it at all.

Only down side to where I live is my internet connection as the only things that are available are mobile broadband, satellite or dialup! No cable or DSL, but I get by.

Life is WAY too short to live it with/around someone who won't let you be YOU!

I agree with Lone Gunman. you guys married the wrong woman. It looks like dish central here and my wife has helped on all of it at one time or another. Heck she even bought most of the receivers that I have. She actually started it all by buying my first dish which I believe was purchased in 1985.

Reactions: PopcornNMore
And the OTARD fight is on! I talked to the woman in the office before being interrupted (again and again), to be told that she doesn't care what the FCC says, the rules are the rules. The much more reasonable maintenance guy is forwarding my info to the office in CA that actually owns the place. The woman wouldn't even listen when I pointed out that while the petition is pending, I can keep the antenna and dish up. She flat out refused to give me the info of the people who own the place (property in CO, incorporated in DE, offices in CA?) so hopefully the main office will call me soon.

As far as my wife goes, she now wants to paint the dish something obnoxious.

Last edited:
At least you have OTARD legislation on your side. I wouldn't make a big deal about it with the complainant since you know you are allowed under FCC rules and people need to be given a chance to save face. The agree to disagree thing. There's always a good chance she'll find something else to get you tossed out because you "won" and she's a poor loser.

Well, I did make the mistake of actually talking to her before measuring the dish. It's exactly 40" across, so it's just big enough that they can say to take it down. OTARD specifically says 39.37", so I won't fight her on that. Luckily it was free, unluckily I got rid of the smaller dish and brought the bigger one to CO with me. I'm more tempted now to grab that free 36" dish if it's still available...

As for the antenna, I might be willing to swap it since I don't really need RF 2 (rebroadcast on RF 27), but there's no way we're completely going without unless someone else wants to pay our cable bill.

So, anyone want a 40x44 fiberglass dish with nprm? Just pay crazy shipping, or come out to the western slope and I can meet you somewhere.

Who says that dish isn't really 39.37"? You aren't a lawyer or engineer. We don't KNOW where the Gov'ment set their measure points when they set that specific size...

It all depends on where you measure it, correct? It seems to me, and it would be easy to prove that your dish is really no more than 39.37" wide...

Look up the word "aperture", and if needed, explain how the aperture of your off-set dish is 39.37"... I can pretty much guarantee you that your lnb doesn't see that whole 40" anyway...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)