Netflix App Who Would Like To See It To The Hopper

Given that most SmartTVs are running un-patched linux distros
Not downplaying security holes that may exist in the distribution(s) they use, what is the risk to users ? My TV has no personal information, no stored credit card data, etc, etc.

Not downplaying security holes that may exist in the distribution(s) they use, what is the risk to users ? My TV has no personal information, no stored credit card data, etc, etc.

No, but it has access to your entire home network, and can be used as an attack vector for other devices connected to it as well as snoop on wireless traffic. Security has not been a priority for TV-makers, and Samsung, LG, etc., who make lots of Android devices, should know better. Smart TVs are essentially just a PC with full networking stacks, wi-fi capability, and most actually run web servers and browsers to render Smart Hub or its equivalents. I have no idea if the Hopper is any better, but I know that many Smart TVs do have actual vulnerabilities. In the days of Heartbleed and Shellshock, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Think that would narrow dishs revenue, to offer their competitors on their box?
I've said this all along about Dish adding a Netflix app, Amazon Video app, and so on. People disagree and insist it won't "hurt" Dish... Clearly Dish isn't in a hurry to add it though !!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Well I mean let's think about it. Dish is starting OTT service. If you want OTT, go through their products, not their competitor. Or use their equipment to watch their competitor. It's like you can lower your programming pckage, and get Netflix, and watch what you would be missing on Netflix, removing money from their pocket.

Dish will understand one day that many of us have Netflix and DISH... so by adding support for it in the Hopper only makes us happier DISH customers.

I already watch Netflix through my Hopper with the PlayOn app.

Reactions: thechaz05
This is true, but it is a huge deterrent. For instance, it's a pain in the ass for me to switch to my DVD player, or TV app, because I don't want to change remotes, so I just don't use Netflix anymore. I don't think it will help their revenue, but has the capability to hinder it. I don't think in the long run, adding it will make anyone consider dish. Not enough people that the number would matter at least.

When I want to watch Netflix, I push the red "Netflix" button on my TV remote...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

But the common customer only likes to have one remote out. How many complaints on here, or elsewhere have you seen because they couldn't control everything from one remote? How many techs have been rolled out because a remote issue to the TV functions? The common customer has their dish remote, and puts the tv remote in a drawer. Especially if it changes volume, input and powers on and off. In my case, the dish remote will not let me access the smart tv apps, unfortunately, so I just said screw it. Not to mention searching titles became a task. I know it's always there, but I just don't want to hassle with it. And I'm an informed customer. What about all those uninformed customers? They will just give up, leaving revenue in dishs pocket.

Think that would narrow dishs revenue, to offer their competitors on their box?
They might lower their package, and probably drop premiums, but at the end of the day they would still be Dish customers. I would think from Dish's perspective, a little less revenue is better than none at all if a sub leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dish is losing customers already..revenue will drop eventually..dish has forgotten that customers come before profit

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!

Dish is losing customers already..revenue will drop eventually..dish has forgotten that customers come before profit

Posted Via The FREE SatelliteGuys Reader App!
They put FEES before everthing else. IF DISH would make one change they would definitely reap the benefits of more subs. Drop the FEES on all joeys . Just charge one hopper fee or two if you have two of them,but NO fees on the joeys whether they were virtual, or wireless ,or wired . TIVO is doing this with their mini Tivos. They charge only one $14.99 a month per account or they charge a reduced extra fee for a second TIVO receiver. If DISH did this one thing they would see many new subs flock to their service. I am paying now over $36.00 a month in just Hopper/joey fees, which is more than half of what I pay for programming .

I get the concern for competition but I see Netflix and Amazon Prime as more of a direct competitor. On the Amazon Fire TV box the Netflex app is there as well as others that might be considered competition. Different Company philosophy between Dish and Amazon, probably. Problem I see though is that I see Amazon as cut throat as anyone and they find a way to make it work.

They put FEES before everthing else. IF DISH would make one change they would definitely reap the benefits of more subs. Drop the FEES on all joeys . Just charge one hopper fee or two if you have two of them,but NO fees on the joeys whether they were virtual, or wireless ,or wired . TIVO is doing this with their mini Tivos. They charge only one $14.99 a month per account or they charge a reduced extra fee for a second TIVO receiver. If DISH did this one thing they would see many new subs flock to their service. I am paying now over $36.00 a month in just Hopper/joey fees, which is more than half of what I pay for programming .

Yeah, but you know Dish...if they did drop the Joey fee, they would raise the Hopper fee to more than compensate for the loss in Joey revenue.

They might lower their package, and probably drop premiums, but at the end of the day they would still be Dish customers. I would think from Dish's perspective, a little less revenue is better than none at all if a sub leaves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd have to agree with this. This is why Dish offers the Welcome pack. It's better to offer the customer a dirt cheap package than it is to lose them altogether.

Last edited:
Reactions: ncted

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)