Networking/Dishonline

jrv331

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Feb 10, 2004
NE Ohio
I have a 722 and want to hook it up to the internet. Its no where my router so I need to use some type of wifi adapter. Can U use a wifi stick usb adapter or do I need to use an adapter that goes into the ethernet jack?

Also will this allow me to access the tv content from dish online or will I still need the sling adapter - not interested in recorded content at this point just the live tv feature.
Thanks
John

The answer is maybe. Some USB sticks work, some don't. Had an RJ45 WAP that was flaky. Replaced it with a TrendNet 642 gaming adapter. After upgrading the firmware it has been bullet proof, while the new software is flaky. You can find them online for $30 delivered. Maybe not today, but at least two big internet retailers run specials at least once a month.

To insure that you get a wifi dongle that works, go to your Dishnetwork online account and click on "Order from Store". It's called the "Wifi Broadband Connector". Adding this wifi adapter to your 722 will indeed allow it to connect through your wireless router to the Internet and download Dish Online conten for display on your 722. No Sling Adapter is necessary.

Also will this allow me to access the tv content from dish online or will I still need the sling adapter - not interested in recorded content at this point just the live tv feature.

John

No Sling Adapter is necessary.

It sounds like the OP wants to view live content from his 722 on the internet. How is he going to do that with the adapter?

It sounds like the OP wants to view live content from his 722 on the internet. How is he going to do that with the adapter?
On 2nd reading you may be right, if you mean "without the adapter". He does say "Dish Online" rather than "Dish Remote Access", so it's unclear to me what exactly he wants to do.

you might try this page from Dish's website in order to find a solution to get you connected. i'm not sure what you are asking in the last question, are you wanting to watch your receiver live from your laptop/mobile device away from home? if yes, then yes you would need a sling adaptor for that. you can go to dishonline.com and you will have access to shows that are on that website from networks that are in your programming package.

Sorry about the confusion. I want to be able to watch live tv from my laptop or Iphone like it says you can on the dish on line website. Its not really clear if you need a slingbox for that, at least to me anyway.

I was just wondering if I hook my 722 up to the internet if I'm able to access live content using the dishnetwork ipone app.

Thanks

John

Ok, Thanks guys for all the help. I called dish and was able to get the slingadapter free since I just agreed to a new two yr contract with my receiver.

John

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts