New Amsterdam

I liked it, but anything sci fi gets cancelled on most networks. FOX maybe the exception with both Sarah Conner Chronicles and this show .

I watched it too. It is like a cross between Highlander and Law and Order. It is interesting that the first 2 episodes were actually Episode 4 and 5. I wonder what happened to the first 3.

That guy must be really screwed up living all those years watching his children die. At least for Highlanders, I don't think they are capable of having children? It is one thing to watch your lovers grow old and die, but to do the same with your children.... I don't know...

I had it figured out that Omar was his son pretty quick... but since he had not met his Grand Daughter, I guess he keeps his distance as much as he can...

I didn't. Because in most shows, immortal (highlanders or vampires), usually avoid relationships and having children. I guess his situation is unique, because he has to find love to become mortal. That's why I think after a few hundreds years, he would be pretty messed up in the head.

There is no way he has to make a table to come up with such a small amount of money. He lived for so long, he got to have a huge amount of money saved up.

I also feel like that we are missing the important part of the story. Why the heck did the shaman made him live forever until he found true love? Yes, he saved her, but there seems to be no connection on finding true love part. It is almost like she put a curse on him for betraying someone's love or something. Maybe it was explained in the first 3 episodes we didn't see.

Last edited:
He lived for so long, he got to have a huge amount of money saved up.

Did you ever watch the Highlander series? There was a rather funny episode where one of the immortals lost all his money because he was declared dead before he could set up his "inheritance" for his new identity.

Anyway, since he's a cop and already has enough secrets, its possible he is purposely keeping a low profile money wise. Internal investigations gets to be rather funny if they see cops with large bank accounts.

I like the homage paid to Highlander as well, when the kid asked if he'd ever had his head cut off. ;)

Might be one of those things you have to wait on a Dvd set to see those episodes and know the whole story...

Isn't this series one that wasn't ever going to be normally picked up, but because of the writers strike got a second lease on life? I believe it originally had a 13 episode order and was to appear last fall, but they pushed it back, and then canceled production even before the writers strike with only 7 episodes filmed. I think its only because they don't have other shows that they are airing what they do have now.

Isn't this series one that wasn't ever going to be normally picked up, but because of the writers strike got a second lease on life? I believe it originally had a 13 episode order and was to appear last fall, but they pushed it back, and then canceled production even before the writers strike with only 7 episodes filmed. I think its only because they don't have other shows that they are airing what they do have now.

Hmmm, does it mean there is only 2 more episodes left? :p

Hmmm, does it mean there is only 2 more episodes left?

More likely 4 or so. I'm not certain if the 7 includes the pilot or not (I think not, as a couple websites show 8 total episodes including it, thus running through April 14th before we run out of new material.

TV.com: New Amsterdam up in smoke?

If the series is continued depends on ratings I guess.

Looks like I was right. Sci-Fi shows always get Canceled. They would rather see more violence , blood and killing. You ever notice what passes as entertainment on CBS? CSI shows have murder after murder in them. Without a trace , Numbers, Shark, all have murders, violence & killing. Even Jericho, which I really liked , had a sci fi type plot and was first cancelled and brought back this year to finish the story, after thousands protested the cancellation. I can remember in the 60s when CBS had a lot of sci-fi shows like Lost in Space, Land of the Giants, Time Tunnel. Now you barely get 2 episodes of a sci fi show on and they cancel it.

Looks like I was right. Sci-Fi shows always get Canceled.

Well, its still up in the air if its actually canceled or if they just put it on hiatus because the writers strike was about to start and they knew another episode couldn't be finished in time.

Like I said, depends on the ratings.

Looks like I was right. Sci-Fi shows always get Canceled.

Well, its still up in the air if its actually canceled or if they just put it on hiatus because the writers strike was about to start and they knew another episode couldn't be finished in time.

Like I said, depends on the ratings.

Is there any website to check a show's rating?

EDIT:

Just found that New Amsterdam pilot had over 13 mil viewers and 2nd episode got over 10 mil. Not bad at all. It beat CSI last Thursday.

Last edited:
Personally I'm a bit surprised he got the girl as quickly as he did. Does this mean he's mortal again? And if not, what more must be done? Assuming he is mortal, does this make it just another crime drama but with the main character having lots and lots of experience?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts