New Channels Added: - Discoveries & Fox Movie

truqui said:
Free StarzHD...still? I don't think that everyone gets that...!!!
It must be a slip up...
Of course it's a slip up. Gotta be. Why would they not be advertising the hell out of it if it was part of basic? Or even if it was a free preview? :confused:

TheTimm said:
Of course it's a slip up. Gotta be. Why would they not be advertising the hell out of it if it was part of basic? Or even if it was a free preview? :confused:

So everyone is getting it now...even if you're not on vavavoom?

Oooops, let me shut up...someone may be watching!!!

truqui said:

Yes. I'm not on VaVa and I get it -- and StarzHD west for that matter. No point being quiet about it, there's been a couple hundred threads about it (each of them with people screaming at everyone to be quiet about it, I might add :D ). Sooner or later it'll disappear. They probably sent this problem to the escalation department, so it could be a while. :D
But I still don't think this has anything to do with the new standard definition commercial stations being considered "premium" channels.

Scott Greczkowski said:
I am fairly confident of it now. :) No VaVa for your kids to go GaGa. :D

I would have been too; however, Discovery Kids is not part of the basic level - only the highest tier, which I would have not imagined. And as I have mentioned, according to what I can only take as the official company position (coming from a supervisor, that's what it should be anyway), any new channels from this point forward can be considered equal to HBO, etc and thus would only be part of the VaVaVoom package.

truqui said:

I guess the cat is out of the bag… ;) And now that the secret is out, I must say that I also get some of the other premium channels every now and then, if only for a few hours. I make it a habit to scan through those channels regularly, just to see what comes in… :D

In a way we could view it as a small "consolation prize" for all the trouble we have been forced to endure while voom does all their testing and gets all those other bugs out of the system at our expense… :(

I'd like to see Voom go to "tiers" in this way:
1) HD Only - Voom21 and all HD Channels they can give
2) Voom - Voom21 & HD plus Cable Basics they have been carrying
3) Voom Plus - All "commercial" SD channels and all HD they can
4) Va Va Voom - Everything on their service that can be legally provided

I doubt if the movie channels will allow their HD to be offered without the SD counterparts. If so, I'd push for the minimum to get in the "HD Only" package (perhaps HBO-HD E and HBO-SD EW with the other flavors and west feeds in Va Va or HBO package). Voom's pride and joy is HD. They should start from there and build UP to packages including the SD channels everyone misses (or needs a 2nd provider to keep).

JL

justalurker said:
I'd like to see Voom go to "tiers" in this way:
1) HD Only - Voom21 and all HD Channels they can give
2) Voom - Voom21 & HD plus Cable Basics they have been carrying
3) Voom Plus - All "commercial" SD channels and all HD they can
4) Va Va Voom - Everything on their service that can be legally provided

I doubt if the movie channels will allow their HD to be offered without the SD counterparts. If so, I'd push for the minimum to get in the "HD Only" package (perhaps HBO-HD E and HBO-SD EW with the other flavors and west feeds in Va Va or HBO package). Voom's pride and joy is HD. They should start from there and build UP to packages including the SD channels everyone misses (or needs a 2nd provider to keep).

JL
I like it. Well, except I'd call #1 "Voom21+", and #3 "VaVoom". :D

CDH said:
Ummm... you can just add the channels you *do* watch to "favorites" and page through that guide. Or am I missing something?

Get a hold of yourself, man! You'll take away all of the things to complain about if you keep making good suggestions like that.:D

I too am surprised and disappointed that the new channels are in the VaVaVoom package. I was looking forward to watching those channels but I will not be able to without upgrading. I don't mean to be ungrateful for all the channels I do get but I think those channels belong in the regular package and premium movie channels in the upgraded package. I have supported Voom for a long time and will continue to do so but this is still a downer for me. Oh well, just my 2 cents worth.
[Edit/Delete Message] [Reply With Quote] [Quick reply to this message]
:(

To be objective about this debate regarding the recently added channels (in dark gray horizonal bars below) and whether they should be included in the basic Voom package versus VaVaVoom I checked out the other DBS providers and put together this snapshot of some of the channels and some of the packages offered. There isn't an exact apples to apples comparison to be made but I've highlighted in light blue similarly priced packages to facilitate a comparison. Rather than offer my analysis I'm going to post this message and as I would if I were to tie the tails of two cats together and throw them over a clothesline to fight it out I'm going to sit back and let you have at it while I watch.:eek:

<TABLE id=table1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=2 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD align=middle></TD><TH align=middle colSpan=4>Dish Network</TH><TH align=middle colSpan=2>DirecTV</TH><TH align=middle colSpan=2>Voom</TH></TR><TR><TD align=middle>Channel</TD><TH align=middle>AT120</TH><TH align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>AT180</TH><TH align=middle>AE Pack</TH><TH align=middle>TC</TH><TH align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>TC +</TH><TH align=middle>TC Premier</TH><TH align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>V Basic</TH><TH align=middle>VV Voom</TH></TR><TR><TD align=right></TD><TD align=middle>$38</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>$48</TD><TD align=middle>$82</TD><TD align=middle>$42</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>$45</TD><TD align=middle>$94</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>$50</TD><TD align=middle>$90</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Discovery HD Theater[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#c0c0c0>[size=-1]Discovery Home[/size]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#c0c0c0>[size=-1]Discovery Kids[/size]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#c0c0c0>[size=-1]Discovery Times[/size]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#c0c0c0>[size=-1]Fox Movie Channel[/size]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Fox Soccer Channel[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Golf Channel[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Hallmark Channel[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Lifetime Real Women[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#c0c0c0>[size=-1]Military Channel[/size]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]National Geographic Channel[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Outdoor Life Network[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Oxygen[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right bgColor=#c0c0c0>[size=-1]Science Channel[/size]</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#c0c0c0></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]SoapNet[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Starz East[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Starz Family East[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Starz! HD East[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Starz! HD West[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Style[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Tennis Channel[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR><TR><TD align=right>[size=-1]Universal HD[/size]</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle bgColor=#a8ffff>
Dot.gif
</TD><TD align=middle>
Dot.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
Disclaimer: There are other major channel differnces between the offerings of each provider which are not included in the abbreviated list above. Check out the basic offerings of the three providers here although I warn you the site is not up to date. For comparison to cable providers you are on your own. Sorry about the table formatting - couldn't seem to get all lines to show without creating a bitmap.

*Starz! is not officially on Voom's list of channels offered in the Voom Basic package but basic Voom subscribers currently receive Starz! HD channels.

subdude:

Okay, I'll start:
STARZ et al aren't actually part of the Voom basic programming, just some sort of freak freeness--most likely a temporary mistake. And I'm not getting all the STARZ networks, just STARZ-HD and STARZ-HD west.

mdanderson said:
I too am surprised and disappointed that the new channels are in the VaVaVoom package. I was looking forward to watching those channels but I will not be able to without upgrading. I don't mean to be ungrateful for all the channels I do get but I think those channels belong in the regular package and premium movie channels in the upgraded package. I have supported Voom for a long time and will continue to do so but this is still a downer for me. Oh well, just my 2 cents worth.
[Edit/Delete Message] [Reply With Quote] [Quick reply to this message]
:(
If you want to support VOOM show it with you wallet. They give a lot with their basic package as far as HD. So it is a little flipped with VOOM. With others you get a lot of SD in the base package and pay through the nose for a few HD channels. With VOOM you get a lot of HD and have to pay a little for the SD. Give me a break, I am tired of this whinning. I know everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but if we all want VOOM to survives, it takes money from us as well as investors.

I've been with Dish Network since 1996...I'm tired of waiting for Charlie to add HD content. I find his attitude towards HD channels to be cavalier and disturbing. I am anxiously awaiting my VOOM install on the 21st. I wish I had signed up earlier.

Originally, I had planned to sign up for just the VOOM package and keep some Dish programming or get local basic cable. With the programming additions, I've decided that VOOM can be my sole provider (assuming they stay in business). I believe that any channels added (SD or HD) on Voom or VaVaVoom will help to make Voom more viable with a larger appeal.

It seems that alot of people want Voom to survive...as long as it costs them $49.99 or less a month. I understand that different people place different values on different things...I'm happy to pay Voom $100 a month since that's what Dish is getting out of me. A DVR would be the icing on the cake.

subdude212 said:
There isn't an exact apples to apples comparison to be made but I've highlighted in light blue similarly priced packages to facilitate a comparison.
The biggest problem is that Voom starts with 21 HD that would be considered an add on with the other providers. Then they add 4 national HD channels (ESPN, Universal, TNT, Discovery). Unique and important channels that are not included in D*'s TC or E*'s AT plans. Apples, oranges and peaches.

A start to a better comparison would be to add in the HD packs ... but you would still be getting Voom21 channels with Voom. That's a big apple. How many oranges and pears at the competition are needed to match that?

JL

I find it pretty funny that people that were perfectly happy with Voom are now pissed that some channels were added but are only available on VaVaVoom. The fact is you are still paying the same amount for the same channels as before.

I also find it unfair that people portray it as the additional 6 channels cost $40 dollars. That $40 gets you all of the premium movie channels as well. I still think there will be a middle tier added but not until a bunch more channels have been added. Who's going to pay say $15 to $20 to get the six new channels on a middle tier? If there are 30 - 40 new channels in the middle tier you might be willing to pay it.

Personally I'd like to see more HD channels added but I do from time to time watch SD. I'm hoping for NFLNET-HD by the time training camps open in July and, though I haven't seen them, the HDNETs sound appealing too.

And as for me, even though I have a 50" plasma I am not VaVaVooming because I already increased my monthly bill from what I paid for D* and it was the only way to convince my wife to get Voom. I'm still trying to figure out how to justify the jump to VaVaVoom but in time I'm sure I will. Right now saving money by switching to VoIP for phone service looks like the best angle. :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts