New Channels Added: - Discoveries & Fox Movie

I agree - these should be part of the basic package. I'm still holding out hope that they will. The VOOM web site hasn't listed these channels yet - so maybe it's still possible. I will not upgrade to VaVaVoom for these channels - I get enough movies already! I just don't understand this one. It would seem that the whole idea of adding new SD channels is to bring on new, and most likely basic subscribers. Who knows, maybe the plan is to go to more than 2 package plans.

Sorry Ron. Don’t quite get you; are you saying that those channels are on premium packages from other providers as well?

This bites.
Ron61250 said:
If you notice the discovery science ch.and a few other"discoveries" are all on upgraded packages(TC+, AT200, TWC max. choice) Ron :)
Yes Directv and Dish both have this channel suite in an upgraded price, but compare them. To upgrade is only between $9-$11 extra. NOT $40.

I just went to DirecTV's website to do some comparing. Without locals you can get over 150 channels for about $45.00. Now with VOOM you get 111 channels minus locals for $49.95. I expect to pay more for VOOM for it's service, quality and etc... but after doing this comparision I truely believe that VOOM needs to bring their number of channels up to at least 120 maybe 125 in order to be more aggressive. Nobody that I know is going to be willing to pay an additional $40 more per month just to get 6 channels.

Sorry VOOM, but if you make those channels available for let's say an additional $5.00 per month I think that your chances of people subscribing to those channels will be greater.

Maybe they're in the process of creating a middle tier, or a package of extra channels available at an extra cost. That would make sense. They wouldn't want to give them to basic Voomers only to take them away and charge for them later. So maybe they'll keep them on VaVa until they have the rest of the channels toghether for the new package? The more I think about it, the less sense it makes to keep them on VaVaVoom. Of course if there is a plan , they could've shown them to everybody as a "free preview" -- maybe even drum up some interest for these channels.

VaVaVOOM only? Makes no sense!
Do I care? NO!

I care for more HD HD HD HD HD HD HD !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TheTimm said:
I'm a bit disappointed that these are only for VaVaVoomers, but I've never seen any of these channels so it doesn't exactly break my heart. But I do find it a bit alarming in that there are now non-premium channels that are only available with VaVaVoom (or perhaps they also bundle them as a stand alone pack that can be ordered for $x/month?). I wonder if this'll be how they add all the new channels from here on out. Hope not -- I'm just not going to spend a hundred bucks a month on tv, no matter how many channels they add.
Hope all you VaVaVoomers enjoy them though! :D

I think it is an excellent idea. Voom needs money and subscribers. If you had d* you would have to pay extra for these channels. The breakdown may not be the same but D* charges for HD and Voom doesn't. I think that advertizing these will help enormously. Once Voom gets Fox Sports and NFL, that will be a coo. I suspect that NFL HD will definitely be a premium but it is on D* too. Keep up the good work Voom.
You know, the people that just watch and don't read this crap see nothing but improvements.

I know with my BUD and 4DTV, the discovery package which only includes the channels added, was $25 a year extra. I agree with Timm, that a middel package might be created. Perhaps with only one "Va VOOM."

mindstein said:
You know, the people that just watch and don't read this crap see nothing but improvements.

I hope that to be true.....most ppl watch and enjoy their favorite channels , leaving the business autopys to the hardcores.

:)

Maybe Scott or Sean can find out if there's a plan for a middle tier ( I like the name "VaVoom", gutter!), or what the heck Voom is thinking? Please? :eek:

Note: That was not a request for a hundred different people to e-mail customer service and post their canned response. Nor was it a request for the same hundred people to make an "I just got off the phone with a CSR" post/thread. :D

Strange Fox Movie Channel is premium. I remember getting that on my basic $40 (now $45, I think) DirecTV package.

Too bad too, FXM does unedited movies like IFC. Still SD, so no real loss... :)

-John

TheTimm said:
Maybe Scott or Sean can find out if there's a plan for a middle tier ( I like the name "VaVoom", gutter!), or what the heck Voom is thinking? Please? :eek:

Note: That was not a request for a hundred different people to e-mail customer service and post their canned response. Nor was it a request for the same hundred people to make an "I just got off the phone with a CSR" post/thread. :D
Why do we need a middle tier, those who can afford a "GOOD" HDTV don't need a middle tier, don't you agree.

My take

1) Adding channels is good
2) More packages might make sense from a marketing standpoint (I like the one VA :D )
3) How about if they just offered everything for $79.99. I have no plans to keep VA VA VOOM for $40 after my free 3 months, or to pay a ridiculous $20/per...but if they promised me everything they ever have for $80...I would take it. That is what a cable bill is anyway....For $80/month I expect a DVR though..

HD_Eric said:
2) More packages might make sense from a marketing standpoint (I like the one VA :D )
3) How about if they just offered everything for $79.99. I have no plans to keep VA VA VOOM for $40 after my free 3 months, or to pay a ridiculous $20/per...but if they promised me everything they ever have for $80...I would take it. That is what a cable bill is anyway....For $80/month I expect a DVR though..
Then Quit Voom and go eslewhere, you don't what HD or have a reason to have it< why else make such a statement>

danielle_s said:
This bites.

I expect to pay more for VOOM for it's service, quality and etc... but after doing this comparision I truely believe that VOOM needs to bring their number of channels up to at least 120 maybe 125 in order to be more aggressive. Nobody that I know is going to be willing to pay an additional $30 more per month just to get 6 channels.

I agree.

jgantert said:
Strange Fox Movie Channel is premium. I remember getting that on my basic $40 (now $45, I think) DirecTV package.

Too bad too, FXM does unedited movies like IFC. Still SD, so no real loss... :)

-John
I agree that it's no real loss, in the sense that I have no interest in any of these channels. But sooner or later (I hope) they'll add a channel that I (or you) do care about -- and then it'll really suck (for me) if it's only on VaVa. So if this is how they'll be adding channels in the future, it won't matter to me if they add every channel in the history of channels -- I'm not spending a hundred bucks a month on tv.

I agree that adding channels is a good thing. But the way they went about adding these particular (non-premium IMO) channels leaves me flummoxed.

HD_Eric said:

Let us know when and where you find a comparable package to VaVaVoom with the DVR included for $80 per month. If you do I will quit Voom and go to that provider too.

kelljc said:
Then Quit Voom and go eslewhere, you don't what HD or have a reason to have it< why else make such a statement>

Eric has a valid point. Why should we pay more than $30 more for less channels? I realize that V* has the advantage in HD and that is what subscribers to V* want, but after reading a lot of posts here these same V* subscribers want more channels.

However, I do expect to pay more when the DVR comes out though.

Indy said:
Let us know when and where you find a comparable package to VaVaVoom with the DVR included for $80 per month. If you do I will quit Voom and go to that provider too.
I pay Cox Cable $50 with an HD PVR, but without premiums. I should say, as of today I paid them. No that VOOM has the SD channels I need I don't need cable anymore.

Let's all support VOOM a little here. I realize some are dissapointed, and yes they should be included in the base pack package, but look how much HD is already included in the base package.

Cox Cable offers a variety tier for $5.00 month, they have a tier for everything. Maybe this is the right move for VOOM.

Anyway, glad to say good-bye to cable. will miss the hd pvr though.

ken

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)