New Channels Added: - Discoveries & Fox Movie

It's no different than the other sat. providers. People are going to be upset that to get that one channel they really want, they have to move up to the next package.

Just a thought:

Since Dolan is financing this himself now he probably wanted to make sure that he made sure the economics would work. The increased cost per subscriber that thes channels will cost Voom may be too costly to add it to the basic package.
So there is no choice but to add it to the expensive package.

im very happy that voom is expanding and showing that it is doing ok. but honestly im not really going to pay anymore than what i do for those channels and im shore that most people agree.
i know that we need to support voom but honestly right now im paying 60$ thats to much but im doing my part. and i think its worth every penny so im not sorry about that.
i also believe that if voom wants to get more subscribers they should add a cheaper package not a more expensive middle one that people have bean suggesting. just think about all those people that dont even want to spend 60 bucks give them a smaller packeg for like 29 $ or 35$ that way they would get alot more customers.

aboali said:
im very happy that voom is expanding and showing that it is doing ok. but honestly im not really going to pay anymore than what i do for those channels and im shore that most people agree.
i know that we need to support voom but honestly right now im paying 60$ thats to much but im doing my part. and i think its worth every penny so im not sorry about that.
i also believe that if voom wants to get more subscribers they should add a cheaper package not a more expensive middle one that people have bean suggesting. just think about all those people that dont even want to spend 60 bucks give them a smaller packeg for like 29 $ or 35$ that way they would get alot more customers.
VaVaVOOM is a great deal at $79.95 per month. VOOM is an HD company so they offer a lot of HD for a low price and more or SD. Just the opposite of D* ane E* which charge a little for SD and a ton for what you get for HD. IMHO, I think everyon should get VaVaVOOM too support VOOM, especially if they add HDnet/Movies and Inhd1 & 2

kfried001 said:
VaVaVOOM is a great deal at $79.95 per month. VOOM is an HD company so they offer a lot of HD for a low price and more or SD. Just the opposite of D* ane E* which charge a little for SD and a ton for what you get for HD. IMHO, I think everyon should get VaVaVOOM too support VOOM, especially if they add HDnet/Movies and Inhd1 & 2

Well said!!!!!!! :D :D

Indy said:
Let us know when and where you find a comparable package to VaVaVoom with the DVR included for $80 per month. If you do I will quit Voom and go to that provider too.

Who said the DVR will be free? Or, are you saying basic packkage plus DVR for $80.

And I think you all should buy a new Navigator each year to support Ford Motor Company. :rolleyes:

For anyone who didn't get the sarcasm there, let me 'splain: I'll "support" Voom by paying a fair price for the excellent service they provide me as long as they provide it and there isn't someone who can give me a better value. While I'm sure eighty or ninety bucks a month for a million and a half channels sounds like a great deal to many, there are also many guys (myself included) who will never pay that much monthly to watch tv -- especially not just to show "support" for a service provider. And that's what Voom is -- a service provider. They're not my wife, they're not my family, they're not my favorite charity. They don't get my "support". They get my business. And as long as they continue to provide me with a tv deal I like, they will continue to get my business.

Now, I'm not "pissed" or angry that they messed up adding these channels. I just think they're screwing up an opportunity to add more subs/provide better service. Humor yourself if you will, that adding these channels to VaVaVoom is going to get a bunch of subs to upgrade but I think that's very unlikely. And if anyone out there was waiting for the Military Channel to be added before subscribing to Voom, they may hesitate when they find out that in order to get it they must sub to VaVaVoom instead of basic. For some folks this will be about as effective as not adding these channels at all. That is a big part of why I hope they're positioning themselves for another tier or two of programming. The point of adding new channels is to please current subs and attract more. The way they did this, they left out a huge chunk of their subs and will do little to attract new subs -- certainly less than adding these channels to basic would have done. All of this is just my opinion of course. I could be wrong. As I speak Voom could be getting overwhelmed by people clamoring to pay eighty bucks a month now that they can get Discovery Kids.

the tim you stole the words out of my mouth
i dont care how many chanels they add to vavavoom i simply am not going to pay that much. and dish and direct knows that most americans wont pay 90$ a month thats why they got more than one choise for under 50$ and thats why they got all the subs and not voom. when you look at voom you picture it as something aimed at the higher middle class and above and not for everybody. thats at least how it apeared to me. i have told several of my freinds about voom and they are intrested untell i tell them how much it costs. and that is what is herting voom the most. in my opinion.

Idear

What about if they offered an HD PACKAGE that would just have their HD channels? Maybe this should even be an HD Budget package that would give you VOOM's original 21HD and all of their non-premium HD's (Universal, etc.) plus the OTA. I could run with that, a subscription to netflix and buy the MLB package online.....

The SD channels are just about unwatchable (PQ wise) right now....I think our brains have adapated to HD and cannot go back!! :D

HD_Eric said:
What about if they offered an HD PACKAGE that would just have their HD channels? Maybe this should even be an HD Budget package that would give you VOOM's original 21HD and all of their non-premium HD's (Universal, etc.) plus the OTA. I could run with that, a subscription to netflix and buy the MLB package online.....

The SD channels are just about unwatchable (PQ wise) right now....I think our brains have adapated to HD and cannot go back!! :D
If Voom offered a package of the Voom21 exclusives along with TNT-HD, Discovery HD Theatre, Universal HD, & ESPN-HD, that would likely be the package I would subscribe to (depending on price, of course). And while I'd be surprised if this is a package that Voom offers (just makes way too much sense), I do think the time is fast approaching where Voom is going to realign their channels into different tiers. Or they're gonna have some very screwy packages! C'mon, these are not premium channels. :no

Am I the only one without Va Va Voom receiving the 6 new channels? Saw Sean pose that question way back when, but no one else has responded in the affirmative or otherwise. Haven't looked today, but last night they were all coming in for me. Just a fluke? Or maybe a perk for being one of the apparent few charter members left? Not that any of these channels are for me worth watching, but I find it very strange that I seem to be the only one with just the basic package receiving these channels.

FAYRICH said:
Am I the only one without Va Va Voom receiving the 6 new channels? Saw Sean pose that question way back when, but no one else has responded in the affirmative or otherwise. Haven't looked today, but last night they were all coming in for me. Just a fluke? Or maybe a perk for being one of the apparent few charter members left? Not that any of these channels are for me worth watching, but I find it very strange that I seem to be the only one with just the basic package receiving these channels.

Probably a fluke like you state...I'm am a Charter Member as many others and they don't come in...

TheTimm said:
And I think you all should buy a new Navigator each year to support Ford Motor Company. :rolleyes:

For anyone who didn't get the sarcasm there, let me 'splain: I'll "support" Voom by paying a fair price for the excellent service they provide me as long as they provide it and there isn't someone who can give me a better value. While I'm sure eighty or ninety bucks a month for a million and a half channels sounds like a great deal to many, there are also many guys (myself included) who will never pay that much monthly to watch tv -- especially not just to show "support" for a service provider. And that's what Voom is -- a service provider. They're not my wife, they're not my family, they're not my favorite charity. They don't get my "support". They get my business. And as long as they continue to provide me with a tv deal I like, they will continue to get my business.

Now, I'm not "pissed" or angry that they messed up adding these channels. I just think they're screwing up an opportunity to add more subs/provide better service. Humor yourself if you will, that adding these channels to VaVaVoom is going to get a bunch of subs to upgrade but I think that's very unlikely. And if anyone out there was waiting for the Military Channel to be added before subscribing to Voom, they may hesitate when they find out that in order to get it they must sub to VaVaVoom instead of basic. For some folks this will be about as effective as not adding these channels at all. That is a big part of why I hope they're positioning themselves for another tier or two of programming. The point of adding new channels is to please current subs and attract more. The way they did this, they left out a huge chunk of their subs and will do little to attract new subs -- certainly less than adding these channels to basic would have done. All of this is just my opinion of course. I could be wrong. As I speak Voom could be getting overwhelmed by people clamoring to pay eighty bucks a month now that they can get Discovery Kids.

Tim...very well stated!!! I'm all for Voom to suceed but if I want to "support" Voom, I'd be buying stock not paying more for it's service. I'll support my family, my charities, schools, homeless, people with terminal diseases but not a business that's in the business of getting my money...

One reason that they may have added these channels to VaVaVoom only is that I believe that they need to pay the content provider a fee per subscriber. Since everything is in limbo at the moment, they may be looking at a way to either fulfill existing contracts or make a push to expand services on the cheap. Since there are fewer subs on the VaVaVoom plan, the cost for adding the channels would be lower. Perhaps if CD pulls off a deal and the long term viability is no longer in question they will add the channels to the basic package.

Just a theory....

DucTape said:
. I have had c-band for many years and ala carte was nice as pie to me. I didn't pay more than I would have otherwise, I agree I didn't pay less either but I paid for the channels I liked and that's all I needed

So if you are not paying less even though your are technically getting "less product" then technically you are paying more. (you are paying a premium to only watch what you want.I don't no how many channels you actually get 60 100 etc.) if someone else with different tastes than you decides he wants more channels than you than he would be paying substantially more than than a a E* or D* customer. (and more than you).

DucTape said:
If you could pick say 60 channels you like and pay only for them would you, sure you would now why shouldn't it be that frigin easy.
I agree... but I don't think that kind of "limited Ala carte is whats on the menu. I think they really mean pay per channel not pay for a block of programming that you specify. However I could be wrong..

DucTape said:
Ever wonder how broadcast TV stations are still around? That's free TV baby and has been from the beginning. It's all about politics and little to do with how it should be.

They sell advertising. lots of it that is specific to their market.

That said I want you to know that I WANT ala carte, Like the Idea of block programming. But I also think CSPAN is important but I don't watch it (often) and I don't know if its money maker. I just think the issues are alot thornier than they appear.

Not everyone with VOOM & HDTV are well off. My parents instilled me with excellent values. If there is something I want I save the money needed to purchase it. To get my HDTV and OTA-STB I saved for 2 years then paid cash. I don't own credit cards a check card does just fine. I don't have a huge screen just a 27" that suits me just fine. Not everyone wants or desires huge screens.

What I pay VOOM is the most I have ever paid for pay television. Some will say well if you can afford to have an HDTV then you are well off enough to pay VOOM an additional $40. This is not always the case. As digital TV and HDTV grows not everyone will be wealthy enough to blow $80+/mo for pay television.

aboali said:
the tim you stole the words out of my mouth
i dont care how many chanels they add to vavavoom i simply am not going to pay that much. and dish and direct knows that most americans wont pay 90$ a month thats why they got more than one choise for under 50$ and thats why they got all the subs and not voom. when you look at voom you picture it as something aimed at the higher middle class and above and not for everybody. thats at least how it apeared to me. i have told several of my freinds about voom and they are intrested untell i tell them how much it costs. and that is what is herting voom the most. in my opinion.
OK, so they should add another tier, but not include the new channels in the base package. VOOM should add a "Variety Tier" like Cox for these channels. But I can't believe how many people want them to include it for $49.95.

As far as supporting VOOM with your wallet. I will because I want them to survive even if it costs more than D*, E* or cable. Remember we are not comparing apples to apples when comparing VOOM to E* or D*, its more like apples to pear pits. VOOM is hurting right now and they need all the help they can get. If you just want the cheapest $$$ then goo with D* or E*. I am friends with a local installer, and BTW, installers have weekly con-calls with VOOM. He said that VOOM is positioning itself to be a premier service and after all said and done it might cost $150.00 to get all the RSNs in Hi-Def, OutDOOR Channel in HD and others. I for one would pay in a heart-beat because I don't see a viable HD alternative at this point.

I respect your opinion, but do you think your statement "And I think you all should buy a new Navigator each year to support Ford Motor Company" was really required. VOOM is going through some hard times is concentrating more on adding new channels to gain subs (because that's what everyone eas whining about) than worrying about what tier to put them in. Let's support VOOM in the short term to make them survive and then worry about the other stuff in a few months.

VOOM, Please read this. You won't survive as a sole provider without all RSN's. I have to subscribe to Direct TV for just NFL Ticket, the OUTDOOR Channel and my local RSN.

You have the ladies covered now which was a smart move because the men bring VOOM into the homes. You pretty much have the men satisfied with "some" sports but you need to round this out quickly. Now the kids are next, Nick E/W, Disney E/W, Nick GAS and NickToons. For the HD Inhd1 & 2 are awesome as is HDnet, ESPN2HD and the OUTDOOR Channel 2 HD in spring.

One question to you kfried001 Has anyone at Voom let us know that they are "hurting" or going through "tough times"? NO
Granted we have been privy to all this because we read and we are part of these forums but they haven't said a word!
I think that maybe 90% of the subs who aren't part of these forums are saying
"What, pay more for SD commercial channels?" And I'm sure they haven't a clue about what is going on at CVC/VOOM

bryan27 said:
Not everyone with VOOM & HDTV are well off. My parents instilled me with excellent values. If there is something I want I save the money needed to purchase it. To get my HDTV and OTA-STB I saved for 2 years then paid cash. I don't own credit cards a check card does just fine. I don't have a huge screen just a 27" that suits me just fine. Not everyone wants or desires huge screens.

What I pay VOOM is the most I have ever paid for pay television. Some will say well if you can afford to have an HDTV then you are well off enough to pay VOOM an additional $40. This is not always the case. As digital TV and HDTV grows not everyone will be wealthy enough to blow $80+/mo for pay television.

Arn't you the same guy pining for WealthTV a channel devoted to conspicuous consumption?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)