New Channels and Olympics on VOOM?

makes sense that they'd launch USA first - after all, some Olympic coverage is supposed to be on USA - as well as US Open Tennis.

I'd imagine there would be a lot of complanining/cancelling if they didn't have USA up by then.

Rock on Voom!!! Hope there's a lot of good stuff on the Fox Sports HD channels. And that I get to see it ;)

HUGE week for VOOM...new firmware, DNC HD coverage, Tyson fight, sports channels, USA network. HUGE week for me too...all the above, OTA from 3 DMAs, ordered STARZ Plus Pack, and to top it off my new A/V received just arrived. :)

...just need ESPN Gameplan!!! :yes

i just don't get it..the date is before the new sat can be used,no mpeg-4 yet how,where, is all this space coming from?? would be sweet,but how??

barth2k said:
what content would fox sports hd have?

not to gripe, but what's so special about florida and ohio? I would think NY and LA would be higher priorities :)

Most of the Fox Sports Regional Networks focus on collegiate sports. NY and LA have more of their market dedicated to pro sports.

riffjim4069 said:
HUGE week for VOOM...new firmware, DNC HD coverage, Tyson fight, sports channels, USA network. HUGE week for me too...all the above, OTA from 3 DMAs, ordered STARZ Plus Pack, and to top it off my new A/V received just arrived. :)

...just need ESPN Gameplan!!! :yes

Bravo HD is will carry us open in HD :D

barth2k said:
what content would fox sports hd have?

not to gripe, but what's so special about florida and ohio? I would think NY and LA would be higher priorities :)

I read inthe local paper that Fox Sports Florida enjoys some pretty high ratings, more than any other regional anything channel. That could be a decider. Actually I'm pretty damn surprised we are getting new channels before the new satellite comes online.. and the new dishes get installed. I also like that Voom is listening to customers on this, and since it seems more people are asking for RSN and USA than PPV they aren't just shoving PPV into customers faces for more $$$... I seriously can't wait to see what else we are going to get in the coming months with Voom. At least this month it's: Tyson, DMC, Tennis, and hopefully very soon RSNs and USA... then it's NFL season and I'm pretty much zoning out until that, and baseball is over... then i'll be like.. Damn I need more channels or something (to fill the void).

Forget all these sports channels put up G4Tech TV

I am one of hughe segment of voomers that would love to get G4Tech Tv, the channel devoted to Video Games and cutting edge tech gadgets. For a leading tech satellite company like voom it is a must to carry this channel. Many voomers are gamers and have to subscribe to alternate satelitte providers like dish to get channels like this.. This would be a huge boon for me , i love video games and cutting edge technology, please carry this channel

I was told by a CSR that Voom is likely holding out to add the ScifiHD channel when it comes out. This would be kewl!!!!

More HD!!!!

Lovely, an entire thread of speculation based on a post that begins with "please consider this a rumor but............"

Scott Greczkowski said:
Please consider this a Rumor.

But I have on good authority that VOOM will add the following channels on August 1st.

Fox Sports Ohio (Cleveland) - Channel 350
Fox Sports Ohio (Cincinnati) - Channel 352
Fox Sports HD - Channel 351

Fox Sports Florida - Channel 340
Fox Sports Florida HD - Channel 341

USA Network will launch on Voom by August 3rd (No channel number given)

Also I am receiving word that VOOM will be carrying the NBC HD Olympic Feed on Channel 321.

Please don't shoot the messenger is this does not come true, however this information comes to me from various sources and the information matches so I felt it was worth reporting. :)
Arent these Fox stations considered "distant" feeds and will not be allowed by our local affiliates? If that is the case, why waste the bandwidth on it?

vurbano,

I was just thinking the same thing. The question is, will everyone receive these stations or just the people in those immediate areas?

Mike

Also, IMHO though I like the USA Network, I am would rather have had the SciFi Channel. But, I guess you can't have everything at once. I am still loving the OTA scan.

rang1995 said:
i just don't get it..the date is before the new sat can be used,no mpeg-4 yet how,where, is all this space coming from?? would be sweet,but how??
Is it possible that the space for these channels is already set aside on the current transponders? Sean and Scott have always said that even though it isn't available to watch all space is filled by 'fillers'. So it is possible that even though our boxes are telling us we have like 141 channels the transponders are already carrying the load for 200 or so. Just a thought.

vurbano said:
Arent these Fox stations considered "distant" feeds and will not be allowed by our local affiliates? If that is the case, why waste the bandwidth on it?

I'm pretty sure that only the people who live in the markets of these channels will get them. On Directv you have to pay an extra premium to receive the out of market channels, and still all professional sports are blacked out unless you subscribe to the appropriate professional sports package (which Voom doesn't have).

So, this is great news for people who live in those particular markets. I highly doubt anybody else will be able to receive these channels. Why waste the bandwidth? Well, this is probably the first step in trying to get all the RSN's. Alot of bandwidth? Probably, but getting your particular RSN (especially in HD) is a major priority for alot of customers. I know that our teams will be switching to the new Comcast Sportsnet Chicago in October (so Fox Sportsnet Chicago will become useless, if even still a channel). And while I'll probably be able to get through the winter without it, come 2005 baseball time I will have to have this channel. And I'm not a multiple provider guy, so I'll be with a provider that has this channel at that time (if not sooner)

C.

vurbano said:
Lovely, an entire thread of speculation based on a post that begins with "please consider this a rumor but............"

Scott G's threads carry some weight to them, if they do NOT happen well it was a rumor, if they do happen even if it's by Sept. 1rst I would be real happy... however what is a fact is

US Open on Bravo HD

and

24 hour Olympics HD feed on Voom (somewhere)

That's good news too.

Anything posted here should be considered a rumor until you actually see it yourself or a press release. :)

With that said I must state that I am VERY.... VERY.... VERY.... VERY.... confident with my rumor. :)

I guess we will find out on Sunday. :D

Scott Greczkowski said:
Anything posted here should be considered a rumor until you actually see it yourself or a press release. :)

With that said I must state that I am VERY.... VERY.... VERY.... VERY.... confident with my rumor. :)

I guess we will find out on Sunday. :D

Scott,

Do you know anything about who wiil get the reginal channels, blackouts and what not that people have been speculating about?

Actually back to the discussion about SCIFI and USA, if those channels did go HD like TNT, I'm sure all their HD shows would be SD shows stretched and upconverted like TNT, no? Unless SCIFI would have the resources to take their shows like Farscape and have them done in at least 16x9. Older shows like Star Trek, Babylon 5 etc, would still be in SD. What would be nice to look forward to would be SCIFI originals like BattleStar Galactica and that one Firestarter 2 they did in HD.

For USA they show a lot of movies like TNT, they could easily show those in HD. However they also show lots of SD programming that I am unsure how it would benefit from being in HD. Unless a USA-HD and SCIFI-HD would follow Discovery's route, and show a different feed of HD programming which all costs $$$.

EDIT: I'm also curious as to how you found out about this, is it from someone who works in the upper echelons of Voom/Rainbow?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)