New Dish Network Pricing

I agree, if that rumored 3rd pack runs more then the $20 it would make E* even less compedative with D*. As it is the only thing keeping E* compedative is their better DVR's. That is why I believe if their is a 3rd package, it will include all the simulcast HD channels plus, HD Net, HD Net Movies, Universal-HD and HD Theator and any other new HD basic channel's like rumored SciFi, USA, MoJo, Smithsonian etc, except Voom and will be $5 - 7 less then the current Dish HD, with the current Dish HD (perhaps with a new name like HD Max), still running $20. Having 3 tiers with 2 less then $15, makes the most since for competing against D* and cable. Since E* does not have the bandwidth yet to keep up with D* for the total # of HD channels, they can at least have a package that has most of the channels that you would receive with D* for perhaps $1 or 2 less.
E* could care less about being competitive. As long as their phones ring off the hook from people DEMANDING Sci fi and USA HD they probably think that consumers are stupid enough to pay an extra 5-10 bucks to view those channels.

The Dish order page says that the prices are only good till the end of January. The csr I talked to said they had no idea if the price was going to change in Feb. He also said that they are planning to add HD channels next year, but had no idea what channels they were or when they would be added.

E* could care less about being competitive. As long as their phones ring off the hook from people DEMANDING Sci fi and USA HD they probably think that consumers are stupid enough to pay an extra 5-10 bucks to view those channels.

I think they do, Charlie did not get wealthy by being dumb. E* has got away with offering only a $20 HD pack for 2 years because they had the most HD channels available and the best DVR, now that this is no longer true and it may never be the case again, it is a new ball game. Having the best DVR will no longer be enough, so E* will now have to compete with price, which is what made them so big in SD packages.

To People that do not know:

DISH already takes the digital feed from the local broadcaster if they offer it and run it through compression equipment and goes up into space.

So, it doesn't matter if all the stations across the country broadcast in analog or digital. It will just be a better feed from the local station, but it is running through compression equipment so it won't take up any more room on the sats.

I just looked at direct tv and did a new user order. It is about 10 to 15 dollars less then E right now. I have the AEP and HD and superstations. Not that long ago D was more then E I though, but the 20 HD fee adds alot to it. But since I have been with E for 10 years now it is hard to change. 5 more dollars is going to be hard to take though, but to drop down to the 250 and start paying DVR fees is an option but hard to do.

My 18 months are almost up, and with news like this, Dish is very likely to lose me as a customer.
So in 18 months, they have Lost me, Lost their lead in HD Content, continue to risk losing DVR, and have lost their advantage of a lower price than D.
So what Exactly do they have that's worth staying on board for??

I tried doing the search, but not very good at it....

Can someone tell me the aprox cost for upgrading to HD on Dish? I finally bought a HD TV for the living room (using OTA HD in the theater room and bar). Now with three HD displays, thinking it is now worth the upgrade to HD. But how much will it cost me?

We have had Dish for about 3.5 years. Have a dual tuner SD iDVR n the living room controlling the living room and bedroom. Then a single tuner SD box in the theater room. I would like the dual tuner HD DVR in the living room and HD receiver in theater room and maybe one in the bar. I think we have the 120 package or whatever. Think it is a mid level package.

Needing that much equipment would I be better of switching to Direct? We get a little discount since we have local phone/long distance phone/net and dish all on one bill. But don't think it is that big of a deal.

Dish is going to have to give away the HD package to existing subscribers to keep some of them from switching to DirecTv. They should at least be cheaper than DirecTv since they offer fewer channels and DirecTv only charges $10 so you can't get much cheaper than that.

One other problem (for at least a few folks) is E requires two dish solution now to get all the HD and other channels. D does not.

We may be switching to D or to cable next month unless something happens with E to change that. Wish they could get 129 to work better.

If they had a package that was a lower cost to get just 110 or 119 sat HD we might consider it.

We live in an area that doesn't even have SD locals available on either SAT company. Fortunately I figured out moving.

We are getting ahead of ourselves...Directv has ALWAYS let me down. Why no dual tuners? Why $300 for ONE hddvr and $600 for two? E has two 722's for $200 in Feb...sorry guys, still not close in my book.

P.S. The price increase on T200 does'nt even effect me because I have DDA.

I was wondering does anyone know if DHPP (Dish Home Protection Plan) is increasing this year or will it stay at $5.99 a month?

My 18 month contract runs out this coming March so I just wanted to know. Also when my contract runs out DHPP stays on my account right? I mean I don't have to call them up and say I'd like to keep it.

My only saving grace is that my LAN Line will be Cancelled on January 2nd. Thus, one less bill for me and the wife.
I was hoping my Dish bill would only be going up by $5 because my 522 won't be hooked up to a phone line. Now I need to up it by $10 with this new info.
But it's still better than the $50 I Spend for my LAN Line.
You are VERY LUCKY E*. And I still may go D* anyway, next year when they come out with the newest "Free NFL" package (if they do).