New DTV Subscriber Install Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
pratt said:
Bitter much? So I'm assuming that you would consider anyone who tries to negotiate a lower or free price for Sunday Ticket a Thief as well? What about the installer who charged me for something that should be free? What does that make him? I'm not trying to get him fired. He did a great job with the install and had it done in short order. I'm just trying to find out why I had to pay for something that I was told was free and why I had to make the check out to him and not the company he works for....Oh and for the record I did say something and he stood his ground.

Sounds to me like you are an installer who tried to rip one too many people off and got busted for it and got canned...Or your mom took you PS3 away. Either way. 771 away!

Why don't you read my post to see what I think of people trying to negotiate a better price for the ST. I also stated in my post my prior experience with this issue, and no, it's not on the install side. I am very much pro customer when it comes to helping customers out (if you doubt that click my name and read some of my older post).

I do not believe the whole 140 dollars was for something the was covered under the LOS policy. How many feet did the installer bury the line? Did the installer do any wall fishing--those are always a custom install. If you had an issue with paying the money or making the check out to him, you had a responsibility to contact DirecTV WHILE THE INSTALLER WAS ON SITE. To go back and complain after the fact is cowardly and to stealing--again, I don't believe the full 140 was for the pole. By waiting until the day after he leaves you are not giving him a chance to defend himself.

If you have concerns place a stop payment on the check and the installer will contact you and you can work it out with him. You should have an itemized list of charges, and D* has standard rates for each custom item. Why don't you contact D* and see what the standard rate should be. It sounds to me like you are the type that pays sticker price for a car, drives it home and speaks to the wife and when she finds out how much you paid she makes you go back to the lot and renegotiate . You signed on the dotted line with the knowledge of what's included, why should you be able to go back and complain behind his back.

I'm not defending the installer who charged you for a pole that was included, I would have choice words for him as well, but he is not here. Again, the pole is only part of the 140--there is something that you are not telling us.

Tuscon's longitude is about 111 west. That puts it between the 103 and 119 sats. The 110 sat would be nearly due south.

I checked out the 119 on the azimuth, and it looks like the only possible way i get this done, and save myself $800 over the next 10 months, is to have the base sit on my patio, and attempt to get them to put the satellite on an angle, over my patio wall about 2 feet.

Thats how far away i am from losing $$$$ is 2 feet lol.

Either that or if they can put the base in my patio, and run a pole up to where the satellite is barely above the roof. The only problem with that is i am on the ground floor and the roof is probably a good 20 feet or so up.

This is not going nearly as well as i had hoped!

Why don't you read my post to see what I think of people trying to negotiate a better price for the ST. I also stated in my post my prior experience with this issue, and no, it's not on the install side. I am very much pro customer when it comes to helping customers out (if you doubt that click my name and read some of my older post).

I do not believe the whole 140 dollars was for something the was covered under the LOS policy. How many feet did the installer bury the line? Did the installer do any wall fishing--those are always a custom install. If you had an issue with paying the money or making the check out to him, you had a responsibility to contact DirecTV WHILE THE INSTALLER WAS ON SITE. To go back and complain after the fact is cowardly and to stealing--again, I don't believe the full 140 was for the pole. By waiting until the day after he leaves you are not giving him a chance to defend himself.

If you have concerns place a stop payment on the check and the installer will contact you and you can work it out with him. You should have an itemized list of charges, and D* has standard rates for each custom item. Why don't you contact D* and see what the standard rate should be. It sounds to me like you are the type that pays sticker price for a car, drives it home and speaks to the wife and when she finds out how much you paid she makes you go back to the lot and renegotiate . You signed on the dotted line with the knowledge of what's included, why should you be able to go back and complain behind his back.

I'm not defending the installer who charged you for a pole that was included, I would have choice words for him as well, but he is not here. Again, the pole is only part of the 140--there is something that you are not telling us.

Here is what i got:

Pole. Hammered into the ground. No digging of a hole. No concrete. Just a pole he hammered in the ground. Hope it doesn't get pushed around when the frost comes.

20 ft of cable run to the house. Entry point same as where the existing cable lines came in. Did not bury any of the cable. He just pushed mulch over it next to the house. He connected to the existing wires in the basement where the old cable splitter was.

He connected boxes and was out the door.

That's it. He was in and out in 1hr 15min.

Frankly, I didn't bitch to him because I was blindsided by the cost, which he told me AFTER the install. I wanted to talk with him about it, but he called what I am guessing was the CS department to answer a few questions (on my cell phone, not his) and by the time I got off the phone with DTV, he was half way down the block.

I still don't get why you consider me a thief by calling DTV and attempting to get an explanation of the cost on what most here consider to be a free install. But whatever. You try to negotiate deals for greatly reduced or free items and consider that OK. I want to get some $ back because I feel (based on many of the folks here) that I got hosed. And no, I would not pay sticker price for a car and then go back a day later. I would research what the car should cost and then pay that amount. Basically, the same thing I did here. Looked around on the web for an answer to my question. Even put a post on a message board and got what I would expect were resonable answers (except for being called a thief). I used that information and came up with what I thought was a fair or expected price for the service I was getting.

I called DTV. I was told there is no standard rate sheet for what they consider custom installs, (and a pole mount is considered a custom install even with LOS issues according to them) that it is entirely up to the installer and that they have no control over it. They did not even have a record in their system of my work order for installation so the could not give me the name and number of contractor who installed my equipment. The only number I have on the paperwork given to me by the installer is disconnected...

Anyway, I did speak with DTV today and had $140 credit applied to my account (which I verified online prior to hanging up with the rep).

I understand that DTV needs to use contractors to do installs, however the rates charged should be posted on their website or the contractors they use should be required to have a rate sheet with them. Not something that they pull out with blanks where they fill in their own price.

I'll offer my $.02 because I just had D* installed at my home too...

We just bought a new home that already had a pole mount + old D* dish + LNB + buried cable in the yard on the north side of the home. I noticed right away that the dish was pointed into the heart of a large & quite full maple tree, so I was very skeptical as to how well that spot would work. I'd convinced myself that the installer would just say, "you've already got a pole + dish + all the wiring so that's what we're using". I was wrong. My installer took one look at it and said, "no way I'll use that site, you're not going to be happy with the signal." He checked it on his meter thing and said that the signal there was "barely passable", but not up to his standards. There were a few spots on the roof that might work, but I was hesitant to do that from a past experience with a bad roof install that lead to leaks, and the installer said he'd rather do a pole mount anyway.

We found a nice clear spot on the south side of my property that he said looked ideal. He used a post-hole digger, filled it with concrete, installed a new pole + dish + LNB, peaked it at 98% on 99/101/103, ran about 20' of trenched cable to the house where the other utilities enter, ran new cable through my basement, neatly run around corners and over & up to my den. And he hauled away the old D* dish & LNB too. It took him about 2.5 hours.

Didn't charge me a dime. So, I think it all depends on the installer. Mine seems to have been great. I live in Central Illinois (Jacksonville), his name was Bryan.

So just to update everyone on whats going on, i rescheduled a second opinion. Still haven't actually talked to anyone in person at my residents. Installer office told me there have been 3 people to my apt. Haven't seen any of them. Was told there is still no LOS on the phone. Asked if they could install without hitting the 119 and they said it would still impact my overall signal and that they probably won't do it.

any suggestions?

So just to update everyone on whats going on, i rescheduled a second opinion. Still haven't actually talked to anyone in person at my residents. Installer office told me there have been 3 people to my apt. Haven't seen any of them. Was told there is still no LOS on the phone. Asked if they could install without hitting the 119 and they said it would still impact my overall signal and that they probably won't do it.

any suggestions?

Find a local independent installer that will use a 3 lnb dish that doesn't use the 110 and 119 satellites.

FWIW, when I had my original install back in august of 06, my roof was blocked and still is by a massive huge tree. I was upset, not at them, but that the dang tree was their.

So, he called around, found a pole, got cement, and we digged a hole, and then let the cement get hard, with the pole inside, and then he mounted the dish to the pole.

Took him like 5 hours to do the entire install. But I wasn't charged anything for the pole or install. Idk why, maybe it was different in 06. but idk.

He was from DirecTV itself, i think anyway, he came in a DirecTV Blue/White van.

I used the directv site and typed in my zip code and it gave me the Azimuth and elevation. Went outside with a compass on my phone and lined everything up. The Azimuth that the web site gives me is to the southEAST of me. If this is the case, and i can actually get the installer office to call me this morning to set up a second opinion, i see no reason why i can't hit the satellite. I checked the LOS on the Azimuth that the directv website gave me and it looks perfectly clear from what i can tell.

*Crosses fingers*

You are on it!

When I am in Denver I navigate around town using the sats...the line there is almost due south.
When I get back to MD the line is SW (about 230)
West of Denver / Rockies + a SE line.
There is a LOS (Line of Sight) or (azimuth) chart that shows CONUS with lines from the major markets; pretty cool!

Joe

Find a local independent installer that will use a 3 lnb dish that doesn't use the 110 and 119 satellites.

Now since i ordered my stuff online, can i call the independent installer and have him set the install himself? Or does it have to be through the people DirecTV set the install with?

I really don't want to have to cancel another account and set it up again with a store here to get this done!

By the way, i have YET to even speak to anyone in person from the install company. I have had 3 different appointments and still haven't even seen anyone!!!!

Starting to get a little ridiculous!

Thanks!
Brandon

Now since i ordered my stuff online, can i call the independent installer and have him set the install himself? Or does it have to be through the people DirecTV set the install with?

I really don't want to have to cancel another account and set it up again with a store here to get this done!

By the way, i have YET to even speak to anyone in person from the install company. I have had 3 different appointments and still haven't even seen anyone!!!!

Starting to get a little ridiculous!

Thanks!
Brandon

I'm pretty sure you would have to reschedule with the local guy.

So I got ahold of directv and they said I could have anyone install it.

My question is, does the free installation only work if you go through the people they send out? Our should I still get it even if I go to someone else?

Thanks
Brandon

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SatelliteGuys

My question is, does the free installation only work if you go through the people they send out? Our should I still get it even if I go to someone else?

Thanks
Brandon

If you go to a local Installation company I would expect to pay them for the installation, they also will supply the equipment.
I advantage you would have is you would KNOW what equipment you would be getting ahead of time.

Thanks
Brandon

I went through a local when I had my system installed and it was free.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)