New DTV Subscriber Install Question

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Who would i contact to get a second opinion? The installer said the order was on hold and i would have to call Directv to get the paperwork sent out again. I think the problem is that my patio faces east, and my building is blocking the satellite from the southwest.

I was thinking about doing a 20 foot pole extension lol. But i have no idea if, or how this would work!

Call DTV and raise Cain! They'll send a supervisor for a second opinion (which should've been offered to begin with)

Who would i contact to get a second opinion? The installer said the order was on hold and i would have to call Directv to get the paperwork sent out again. I think the problem is that my patio faces east, and my building is blocking the satellite from the southwest.

I was thinking about doing a 20 foot pole extension lol. But i have no idea if, or how this would work!

IF that doesn't work, call a local installer, look in the Yellow Pages.

FWIW, I use a 16' pole for my installation.

IF that doesn't work, call a local installer, look in the Yellow Pages.

FWIW, I use a 16' pole for my installation.

Yah i would have to do something similar. I could have the base be in my personal space on my patio and just run a longer pole up above the roof of the complex and get signal up there. The only sticky thing is going to be tethering it to a spot up above my apartment so it doesn't sway haha! Should get a call from the installer tomorrow morning to set up an appointment!

So i had another question.

I am looking at the self install instructions on the D* site, and since i live in Tucson AZ, it is showing that my dish should point to the south east. Now i have no idea if this is right or not, but when i check the Sadoun.com site it shows similar results.

If this is correct, then why would the installer tell me that he can't get the satellite on my right, when it is facing south? This satellite would be in the southwest sky, and not the southeast. Again i have no idea where the satellite is, and i'm sorry but i am certainly not paying $20 to download the app on my phone to use once.

After looking at the self install instructions, i don't see how my building could be blocking anything if the satellites truly are in the southeast sky from az and my patio is on the east side of my building!

I am looking at the self install instructions on the D* site, and since i live in Tucson AZ, it is showing that my dish should point to the south east. Now i have no idea if this is right or not, but when i check the Sadoun.com site it shows similar results.

If this is correct, then why would the installer tell me that he can't get the satellite on my right, when it is facing south? This satellite would be in the southwest sky, and not the southeast. Again i have no idea where the satellite is, and i'm sorry but i am certainly not paying $20 to download the app on my phone to use once.

After looking at the self install instructions, i don't see how my building could be blocking anything if the satellites truly are in the southeast sky from az and my patio is on the east side of my building!

Try here:
Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Also, if you have the co ordinates, you can use a compass to find the direction in the sky, just not the elevation or tilt.

Try here:
Satellite Finder / Dish Pointing Calculator with Google Maps | DishPointer.com

Also, if you have the co ordinates, you can use a compass to find the direction in the sky, just not the elevation or tilt.

I used the directv site and typed in my zip code and it gave me the Azimuth and elevation. Went outside with a compass on my phone and lined everything up. The Azimuth that the web site gives me is to the southEAST of me. If this is the case, and i can actually get the installer office to call me this morning to set up a second opinion, i see no reason why i can't hit the satellite. I checked the LOS on the Azimuth that the directv website gave me and it looks perfectly clear from what i can tell.

*Crosses fingers*

So I had the install today. No LOS from the house Pole mount only option. Installer charged me $140. Said anything other than a roof mount is a custom install. I'm calling DTV tomorrow to raise heck. Just need some advice on what to say Thanks!

So I had the install today. No LOS from the house Pole mount only option. Installer charged me $140. Said anything other than a roof mount is a custom install. I'm calling DTV tomorrow to raise heck. Just need some advice on what to say Thanks!

I think that should be free if he gave you a No LOS for a roof mount. He's correct in that anything other than roof mount is custom....but.....if you can't get a roof mount and pole mount is the only way for LOS then it should be free. Ask them for a one time credit on your account of $150 to cover the cost and the fact you were steamed about it and had to call them up again.

pratt said:

Why do that? You knew ahead of time that it should have been free--I would have called D* then in there to resolve the issue. What's your angle? Trying to get the installer fired for trying to feed his family? Do you want D* to pull the money back out of his pocket? Trying to play both sides against the middle? I'm all for getting what's included at no cost (hence my post was the first to say that the LOS pole was included), but what you are now trying to do is sick. If you had a beef you should have said something, especially since you knew beforehand. Now you are complaining about it behind his back. Be a man and eat it!

140 sounds steep of a pole mount, what else was included? The LOS pole only includes so many feet of trenching.

As for what to say, I hope no one gives you any advice. I worked that call type before in another era. I heard the horror stories of installers charging for gas and the such, but you are no different paying a charge you believed was not valid only to call back the next day to try to get credits. To me that is theft, and there is a special place reserved just for you. Leveraging a situation to get free Sunday ticket is one thing (something that has no incremental cost), but to try to get a custom install for free off the back of a working man is where I draw the line. Again, if you had a beef, you should have been a man and said something then. Only a portion of that 140 was not valid, and you are going to now try to steal the whole amount. Really? I hope you future is filled with rain-fade induced 771s!

Your local sd channels are on the 119 satellite which is to your southwest. Even if you don't care about it, Directv requires the installers to install the dish that gets that satellite. If they can't, they won't do the install. You may get a local independent installer to put in the dish that gets the 99, 101, and 103 sats. They are to your southeast.

For the life if me I can't seem to find a local installer in tucson. Any idea on how to get this done?

Sent from my SGH-T959V using SatelliteGuys

Why do that? You knew ahead of time that it should have been free--I would have called D* then in there to resolve the issue. What's your angle? Trying to get the installer fired for trying to feed his family? Do you want D* to pull the money back out of his pocket? Trying to play both sides against the middle? I'm all for getting what's included at no cost (hence my post was the first to say that the LOS pole was included), but what you are now trying to do is sick. If you had a beef you should have said something, especially since you knew beforehand. Now you are complaining about it behind his back. Be a man and eat it!

140 sounds steep of a pole mount, what else was included? The LOS pole only includes so many feet of trenching.

As for what to say, I hope no one gives you any advice. I worked that call type before in another era. I heard the horror stories of installers charging for gas and the such, but you are no different paying a charge you believed was not valid only to call back the next day to try to get credits. To me that is theft, and there is a special place reserved just for you. Leveraging a situation to get free Sunday ticket is one thing (something that has no incremental cost), but to try to get a custom install for free off the back of a working man is where I draw the line. Again, if you had a beef, you should have been a man and said something then. Only a portion of that 140 was not valid, and you are going to now try to steal the whole amount. Really? I hope you future is filled with rain-fade induced 771s!

Bitter much? So I'm assuming that you would consider anyone who tries to negotiate a lower or free price for Sunday Ticket a Thief as well? What about the installer who charged me for something that should be free? What does that make him? I'm not trying to get him fired. He did a great job with the install and had it done in short order. I'm just trying to find out why I had to pay for something that I was told was free and why I had to make the check out to him and not the company he works for....Oh and for the record I did say something and he stood his ground.

Sounds to me like you are an installer who tried to rip one too many people off and got busted for it and got canned...Or your mom took you PS3 away. Either way. 771 away!

Your local sd channels are on the 119 satellite which is to your southwest. Even if you don't care about it, Directv requires the installers to install the dish that gets that satellite. If they can't, they won't do the install. You may get a local independent installer to put in the dish that gets the 99, 101, and 103 sats. They are to your southeast.

Wait a minute .... the 103 and the 119 are only 16 degrees apart.
If the 103 points to the SE ( I think your compass is off) (or your a LONG ways to the WEST.), the 119 is not that far from it, you get it using the same dish, one cannot be to the SE and the other to the SW.

Wait a minute .... the 103 and the 119 are only 16 degrees apart.
If the 103 points to the SE ( I think your compass is off) (or your a LONG ways to the WEST.), the 119 is not that far from it, you get it using the same dish, one cannot be to the SE and the other to the SW.

Tuscon's longitude is about 111 west. That puts it between the 103 and 119 sats. The 110 sat would be nearly due south.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)