new edision os mio 4k issues

LocutusOfBorg

I have better things to do
Original poster
Pub Member / Supporter
Aug 2, 2009
USA
I just got mine today. Video looks terrible at 1080p/60 and there's no audio. Video has a purple border on 4:3 aspect. HDMI cable worked fine with the Elite. And there's no US English language option. Blind scans work though except for 105.0W C band when it stopped scanning early in the service scan. I just noted that my screen displays OpenPLi and I'm not sure that's a problem.

Using a HDMI v.2 cable? I would try a different cable? No audio could be the cable handshake or the audio decoder setting.

Yes, I would agree that the window box setting for 4:3 format has a purple tint in the masked area. Would need to check other images to see if this is only with TNAP or present on other images.

The TNAP image English selection is designated as English UK. Other images offer different options, but I have yet to notice text differences between the English selections.

As noted in other threads, due to the thousands of channels on 105w, it is advised to scan without sorting Free Only. There are only a few encrypted channels on 105w and quick to delete.

Your 105w Blind Scan in Free Only mode did not stop scanning, it was analyzing each audio PID for the encryption sort. Takes a LONG time in Free Only mode on this satellite. Try All mode and the scan should complete in 7 or 8 minutes.

If OpenPLI displays on the TNAP GUI, I would perform a factory reset before continuing. I have not seen this displayed on the GUI, but of the image is based on the SatDreamGR fork (OpenPLI).

Last edited:
Reactions: c-spand
Yep, in "Free only" mode it takes at least 1.5hours to scan 105w. I found that out the hard way.

I've also had the "no audio" issue even with a HDMIv 2 18Gbps whatever cable. Once I STOPPED going through my 5-way HDMI switch, and went directly through one of the 3 HDMI ports on my tv directly, I no longer experience the no audio issue.

IF you are having this issue exactly like mine, try this: Jump to another channel, then jump back to the original channel that had no audio. Is it back? If you are making a recording right then and can't zap to another channel, simply go into PVR mode and play the recording for a few seconds. Then STOP, and go back to the live channel and audio will be back. If so, that's exactly how it happened to me. By the way, even with no audio, a recording made at that same time DOES have audio when you listen to it later.

So, IMO, it's some sort of odd HDMI handshaking issue with HDMI switches or receivers.

Last edited:
I had similar problem. I was using the hdmi i had on manhattan rc1978. I had a newer hdmi i purchased on sale put that one on and had audio and picture perfectly. Process of elimination. The newer hdmi can handle the 4k signal better. Once you get rolling you eill really enjoy this box. I am a newbie to the enigma2 gen.

Well, my cables checked out OK. I don't know what the deal was but I had the HDMI from the receiver connected to the IN port of the HDMI capture card and it gets passed thru to the OUT port of that card to the TV. Connecting directly to the TV worked fine so I restored everything back to original setup, rebooted the PC and now the video looks good and the audio works. Don't know why I had to go through all that but based on my experience over the last 20 years I've come to expect that none of this electronic junk works properly. I wouldn't be surprised if I'll have to reboot several times over the coming months. Anyway, before anyone says not to go through the capture card, the capture card is going to be for another project for streaming a remoted STB to a Roku next to a TV so that I can eliminate some cabling. I'm not sure but can the osmio stream it's video to another device on the LAN? The docs I have aren't very detailed. As for HDMI v2, not sure if I really need it since I don't have any 4K devices. Titanium is the GUI suppose to display OpenPLI or SatDreamGR? I did see SatDreamGR displayed once but never again. And I was wondering if I can keep the blind scan from looking for radio channels? I'm not interested in radio channels. And I haven't figured out how to delete encrypted channels (or any channels for that matter) yet.

OK. I can change the GUI skin to SatDreamGr - not a big deal. Changing channels on a satellite works OK but I found that I lose audio when changing satellites when routing the osmio thru the hdmi capture card - PC has to be rebooted everytime I change satellites in order for the audio to work again - works OK when I bypass the capture card and go directly to the TV so the osmio is doing something that the capture card doesn't like. The Elite didn't cause this problem so it has to be some kind of issue with the osmio. I might spend some more bucks on hdmi 2.0 cables but that's no guarantee that will fix the problem. Any ideas how to fix this? By the way, I'm using Ubuntu 18.04.1. So far I haven't been able to connect to the osmio webgui - I tried both http and https using ports other than the defaults. I'm guessing at a lot of stuff so I hope I don't mess this thing up and have to factory reset and start all over. Would've been nice to have searchable pdf detailed documentation.

Try this: MENU - SETUP - SYSTEM - AUDIO/VIDEO - HDMI-CEC setup - set "Enabled" to OFF (slide the switch to the LEFT using the left arrow button) - hit OK button to save.

You have to connect to the WebIF screen using a BROWSER. So, if you have a browser on your Linux pc, bring that up and type in the Mio's IP address and it should come up.

It was already off.

Well, sorry I can't help you with a capture card setup. Can't guarantee that it'll work with that sort of a setup. If it works fine with your tv set all by itself, that's what you'll have to be satisfied with. This is the first 64bit E2 receiver, and is still very new in development.

Maybe try flashing some of the other E2 images to one of the other 3 slots left. Maybe one will work better for you with the card.

There's OpenVIX, OpenDroid, OpenSpa, OpenPli, Pur E2, and many others.

I went to one website to try to d/l an image but kept getting dumped back to the same page. I'll look around more. Good thing I like messing with this stuff even though it gets frustrating. Also, it's a good thing I don't have anything better to do - except maybe watch TV, shovel snow on occasion, and soon to mow the lawn.

Reactions: primestar31
I went to one website to try to d/l an image but kept getting dumped back to the same page. I'll look around more. Good thing I like messing with this stuff even though it gets frustrating. Also, it's a good thing I don't have anything better to do - except maybe watch TV, shovel snow on occasion, and soon to mow the lawn.

Play around with it, and see what happens. Try hitting the MENU button when you are in various screens and see what comes up, as there's plenty of "hidden stuff".

You can't really mess it up too badly, even if you manage that, you could always reflash it. I got mine working the first day about 1/2 the way, then let it sit for a few days just thinking about it, and reading any thread I could find here and at Legitfta site. All the info pretty much locked into my brain, and I haven't had any issues finishing up and figuring out things since then.

I use a Windows 7 Pro pc for all my stuff, and have no issues with that. I can't help you much on a pc using Linux.

Reactions: comfortably_numb
Got 'em. Now to figure out how to install them without wiping my channel lists.

Likely your video card isn't supporting handshake negotiation. Would be better to disable this function in the OS Mio 4k HDMI AV set-up, unless it can enabled in the capture card. I doubt that the HDMI cable is the cause since it works correctly with direct connection to the TV.

All services are logged during a service scan. Radio services can be sorted once scanned.

The TNAP image should display The North American Project and Glamor Aura skin logo during screen save. Did you perform the factory reset as was suggested?

OpenPLI documentation is a great resource for images based on their distribution. Each image and skin may have different defaults and different displayed menu items or button assignments. There are so many variables with skins and user settings, an operation document is near impossible, but the available options are typically universal, though might have different menu locations or descriptive text.

Each image in a multiboot slot has a completely separate set-up and service list. The file can be copied and transferred to a new image to minimize set-up time and need to rescan or organize.

A search of using Linux os with E2 might be helpful. Would think that ftp, telnet and WebIF would be available, but I an not a Linux user.

Last edited:
2 things: why doesn't the time zone stay put? if i disconnect the power cord the TZ goes back to GMT+1. second question is can the blind scan be customized so that it scans only TV? i won't rescan 105W again if i am going to get this enormous number of radio channels.

Found the likely reason you are seeing an OpenPLI logo on the GUI.

Possibly did you change the Menu>>> System>>> GUI Settings>>> Skin from the default GlamorAuraFHD-NA to PLi-HD-FullNight? If the default skin is changed to the PLi-HD-FullNight, the OpenPLi logo appears. :)

If you live in Mountain Time Zone, use another GMT -7:00 selection such as Chihuahua,La Paz, Mazatlan. This E2 issue is fixed for next TNAP update. Already implemented on other images with nightly updates. This mountain timezone issue was discussed in a thread by Magic Static.

As mentioned in my previous post, Service Scans are for all compatible services. This list can be sorted with the TV/Radio button, but not Radio or TV only scanning. WebIF can sort and delete in a few moments. Another option is to perform a transponder scan then de-select the few transponders with the radio services then initiate the service scan.

I switched from LMDE to regular mint (ubunto-based) about ten days ago. I have no issues running webif or mounting my Azbox running E2 Openatv. So, Linux does work fine. As for webif, I clear the complete address bar and input the IP address only -- no http or slashes, etc.

The box shows itself under network for me. I made no adjustments with Mint, but I may have NFS shares enabled on the E2 image.

Catamount

Likely your video card isn't supporting handshake negotiation. Would be better to disable this function in the OS Mio 4k HDMI AV set-up, unless it can enabled in the capture card. I doubt that the HDMI cable is the cause since it works correctly with direct connection to the TV.

I haven't found any config screens that mention "handshake negotiation".

OpenPLI documentation is a great resource for images based on their distribution.

I'm still looking for something that is usable.

Each image in a multiboot slot has a completely separate set-up and service list. The file can be copied and transferred to a new image to minimize set-up time and need to rescan or organize.

I doubt that I'll mess with multiboot. I have enough stress in my life.

A search of using Linux os with E2 might be helpful. Would think that ftp, telnet and WebIF would be available, but I an not a Linux user.

I got the web interface to work. FTP, SFTP, and Telnet are all available on Linux. But, I haven't found a Linux based channel/satellite editor.

I guess like everything else, there's a learning curve. I'm just going to do simple things. But, I really would like to get this streaming project working but that's a challenge also. VLC isn't doing what I expected it to do, Kodi is a pain also, and now this issue with the capture card. I spend way too much time eliminating and debugging issues. I'd like to be an expert at everything but that'll never happen.

Reactions: Titanium
If you live in Mountain Time Zone, use another GMT -7:00 selection such as Chihuahua,La Paz, Mazatlan. This E2 issue is fixed for next TNAP update. Already implemented on other images with nightly updates. This mountain timezone issue was discussed in a thread by Magic Static.

That seems to be an adequate workaround.

Play around with it, and see what happens. Try hitting the MENU button when you are in various screens and see what comes up, as there's plenty of "hidden stuff".

I found that the blue button on the remote will show hidden menus. There was only one that I've found useful - software update that was hidden.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 9)