new feedhorn, whew!

Status
Please reply by conversation.

dunnsept

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 10, 2008
Central Meechigan
I went out and marked the old chaparral feedhorn with a marker, made sure that I had a horizontal channel, hooked up the new feedhorn to an unused sat recvr, set it to the same skew. went out and braved the temps (actually having a heat wave today, around 25F)
removed the old feedhorn, brought it inside, setup the new corotor to match, just put it in place.
fired up the 4dtv, ...

WOW, what a difference a feedhorn can make !!!
and I amazed myself in that no adjustments were needed at all. I must have come really close to the old one ;-)

W5 used to get quality of 60 to 68, now it's pegged at 99. G1 is giving me 75 which is higher than it was before too.
now I need to get Ku hooked up for the pansat ;-)

both are chaparral, the old c-band LNB is an ARSAT (45K, 68dB and amazingly made in japan!) while the new one is an eagle aspen SLT+. Ku is a Norsat 4508A
BUT I need to run a new line for it and can only find one @#*(!!($*! F connector (need two)

Last edited:
went out and braved the temps (actually having a heat wave today, around 25F)

Ya, 25 is a heatwave nowadays. Im trying to plan how Im going to get my broken actuator swapped (If UPS delivers it) Between the snow today and sub zero coming in by early next week. I guess us TRUE disheads will do anything to enjoy our satellite tv.

REAL MEN will work on there sat systems no matter what. Neither rain, or sleet or snow or -25 to 100+ temps will stop us from getting that channel or feed. I've done it in all of the above. I guess Im truly nuts... :D

I just bought 100+ off ebay PPC EX6XLWS. They look real good and the price was very good, too. Drop on over and I will give you a couple!;)

sure, no problem.. where ya parked? ;-)

I guess it really wasn't the feedhorn itself that made the difference, likely just the new(er) LNB.

TVROPRO: yea, you got that right.. my wife thinks I'm nuts.. well, she already thought it, this just adds to it. she'll have even more ammo against me once I get another F compression fitting and go hook up Ku to the pansat.
if I could find a way to involve my microcontroller programming, oscilloscope and other "stuff" she'd probably have me committed.

now if I could only find my fish tape to get the wire thru the feedhorn support arm....

sure, no problem.. where ya parked? ;-)

TVROPRO: yea, you got that right.. my wife thinks I'm nuts.. well, she already thought it, this just adds to it. she'll have even more ammo against me once I get another F compression fitting and go hook up Ku to the pansat.
if I could find a way to involve my microcontroller programming, oscilloscope and other "stuff" she'd probably have me committed.

We'll all meet up in the crazy house one day and will be trying to put a dish up while were in straight jackets. :D

Dish Tool Bag

dunnsept You need to keep you a well stocked Dish Tool bag that way you always have a F connector are what ever else you need on hand.

Attachments

• Dish Tool Bag 001.jpg
    Dish Tool Bag 001.jpg
    387.7 KB · Views: 128
  • Dish Tool Bag 002.jpg
    Dish Tool Bag 002.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 116
dunnsept You need to keep you a well stocked Dish Tool bag that way you always have a F connector are what ever else you need on hand.

yea.. I know.. more goodies!
my "toolkits" are for microcontrollers & 'lectronics projects (and beer brewing and ammo reloading for that matter).
I have tons of things like resistors, LEDs, LCDs, etc.etc.. but only one F connector for RG6. And I couldn't do it right now anyway.. I built a speed controller for my wife's sewing machine and she's testing it out while I play babysitter ;-)

lonewolf, you're too close to me to have a toolbag... I use an old laundry detergent bucket for all my sat stuff...
I do see we have the same calculator tho... :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts