new fortec HD specs

Status
Please reply by conversation.
yeah, usually I can decipher Snuffer (being that english is not Ron's first language), but that one is lost on me.

Found this Dr. Dish Review on You Tube for anyone who's interested.

YouTube - Fortec Passion

The remote in that video is EXACTLY like the remote the Captain HD and the Neusat 9000HD uses.

Wonder if the Passion is just another Captain/Neusat clone? That certainly explains why it isn't coming...just ask those of us that have tried the Neusat.:no

Passion HD (testing US)

Hi All,

I just returned from the UK in where I purchased the PASSION HD in a local store, new for about 40quid...$80.00(US)
Setup Los Angeles / I am nearly done installaing and seeing how far I can get with it here.
I so far have successfully scanned all channels including the new MPEG4 HD. Now the trick is for the picture,

Though the unit is preconfigured for the UK with channels, etc. It was fairly easy to erase, and rescan with my coordinates.
There is a BLIND SCAN on this unit, depite reports. It is called POWERSCAN and does just the same. Actually i think maybe more because I see crazy channels ..ie; stuff I have never seen before.

There is also TWO modes of HD QSPK & 8SPK, you have the choice of selection along with HD & SD. The unit is STRICTLY card CAM only. No patches or firmware to enable though I have a DIABLO CARD

Will have more info shortly / Pix uploading soon.
Hopefully this will help.

BB

Last edited:
Hi All,

I just returned from the UK in where I purchased the PASSION HD in a local store, new for about 40quid...$80.00(US)

Wow! $80US - That's about $79 Canadian :) I'm going to check with my wife's family to see if anybody is making a trip the UK in the next few months. That is an awesome price! Are you sure that for 40 quid it didn't fall off the back of a truck?

Hi All,

Setup Los Angeles / I am nearly done installaing and seeing how far I can get with it here.
I so far have successfully scanned all channels including the new MPEG4 HD. Now the trick is for the picture,

Though the unit is preconfigured for the UK with channels, etc. It was fairly easy to erase, and rescan with my coordinates.
There is a BLIND SCAN on this unit, depite reports. It is called POWERSCAN and does just the same. Actually i think maybe more because I see crazy channels ..ie; stuff I have never seen before.

There is also TWO modes of HD QSPK & 8SPK, you have the choice of selection along with HD & SD. The unit is STRICTLY card CAM only. No patches or firmware to enable though I have a DIABLO CARD

Will have more info shortly / Pix uploading soon.
Hopefully this will help.

BB

I just got the Fortec passion and having problem to get the NTSC display!
Hope you could send me a E-mail!
gkgolke@fastmail .ca
Thanks

Last edited:
I contacted the manufacturer and was told the UK version would not work in the US.

I got very god contacts with the Fortec sales office in Toronto,
and got one of there passion sitting on my table!
Officially, it should be on the market in NA, by June or July!
The only holdup is the software!
I was hoping, just by changing the setting from pal to NTSC!
Well I was wrong, it is not that easy!
The guy, that properly could help me, left the company and the others
Don’t know!
I did send a E-Mail to the tech help office and waiting!
The sales office in The UK and Belgian don’t know, also!
I know the guy in Belgian, and might call him, on Monday!
Now I am hoping, to get a beta version from the Programmers.
If not, I may have to wait,or return the receiver!

Just got a call from fortec!
The may be able to send me, a software version!
This is god news.
Will report!

Fortec Passion HiDef FTA Receiver (Near Never Used!!!) - eBay (item 160225300606 end time Apr-08-08 01:39:04 PDT)

I am tempted , but from recent replies I'm afraid that this unit would not help with NTSC.

I could see the problems with regular DVB broadcast being output in PAL.
But isn't HDTV a Universal standard , that doesn't have to match with PAL or NTSC ...... could this receiver just be used for HDTV ?

If that is still the case this isn't a bad buy for $125 including shipping ,setting up the menu might be a problem though.

Any thoughts or impulsive Ebay shoppers here.

By the way this unit is being sold by MrBogusBaxter who posted a reply , guess he had no luck getting it to work properly for NTSC ....... He is very vague in his Ebay listing about this and suggest the buyer research before purchasing.

Last edited:
Fortec Passion HiDef FTA Receiver (Near Never Used!!!) - eBay (item 160225300606 end time Apr-08-08 01:39:04 PDT)

I am tempted , but from recent replies I'm afraid that this unit would not help with NTSC.

I could see the problems with regular DVB broadcast being output in PAL.
But isn't HDTV a Universal standard , that doesn't have to match with PAL or NTSC ...... could this receiver just be used for HDTV ?

If that is still the case this isn't a bad buy for $125 including shipping ,setting up the menu might be a problem though.

Any thoughts or impulsive Ebay shoppers here.

Like I said in a previous post....that remote looks just like the Neusat and the Captain HD's remote. Unless soemone could prove to me that its not the same receiver underneath...I'd RUN from it, if I were planning on it being my ONLY HD receiver.

OTOH, if "I" had the money, I'd try it....LOL...I am a gambler, what can I say. :D

After reading his description and knowing that he posted about this unit on this thread he sure knows how to word it so that no one knows the real reason he's selling the receiver.

Description should read :

Fortec Passion HDTV receiver , bought it impulsively and never figured out how to get it to work with NTSC American TV.

Great Deal but buyer assumes all risks .

By the way this unit is being sold by MrBogusBaxter who posted a reply , guess he had no luck getting it to work properly for NTSC ....... He is very vague in his Ebay listing about this and suggest the buyer research before purchasing.

heh, I was watching that auction too, noticed no one has jumped on it yet. I don't think I will. I asked him a few questions about it and the answers left me still wondering if he got it to work or not. He did say something about a Diablo cam so I'm not sure it would work with fta. The ad was just vague enoujgh to keep me wondering, too many etcs..etcs, etcs in the description.
Maybe he'll pop back here and clear up our questions? Where are you MrBogusBaxter...........
Come to think of it I wonder if it would be wise to do business with someone who has bogus in their name?:D

I wonder if it would be wise to do business with someone who has bogus in their name?:D
That's what prompted my comment above... that and the ridiculous claims.
However, his eBay selling record looks clean.

On the other hand, I want a fully operational North American version of the Passion, and this would just deduct $125 from my fund to get one.
To the best of my knowledge, it's not the right hardware, and it won't be satisfactory for our use.
If just loading the local satellites was all it took, it'd been on the market last summer! - :eek:

In the past, I've gone to some LA area vendors and reviewed them.
Once with pictures. ;)
But I'm not following up on this one.

Fortec in toronto only has four receiver !
Now i got one!
Unles he got it in the UK,i would not trust!

I should be getting the software at any time!
Toronto the fortec people just testing before the sending it to me!
Hopefully this will end all the roomers’!
Don’t expect the cost, to be low!
It will properly more like $300!
Bud at what I got to know, it sure could be a winner!

Status
Please reply by conversation.