New GEOSATpro microHD Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is "H"8psk? I have seen this mode come up a few times over the last month or so and don't really understand the H part...
-C.

Cham said:
don't really understand the H part...

H stands for Hierarchical. An example is the use of a modulation constellation type to provide support for multiple media types or to make a transmission backwards compatible.

High priority data is transmitted along with an additional lower priority layer to support reception by both legacy DVBS and newer S2 receivers of the same signal. S2 receivers would display the HD version and DVBS receivers display the SD version.

Had an opportunity to view, record and analyze the problematic MPEG2 football feed this weekend. The channel had no issues in live mode. During playback there is an occasional "macroblocking" and after 50+ seconds, the receiver entered a 1 second infinite loop. Was able to exit out of playback and repeat.

Briefly analyzed the TS and not able to determine the cause. We sent a TS file of the program to our factory engineers for review. Will share their observations and report when this issue is resolved.
Brian, and others. I have no idea if this is the same, but when I was in Canada in May, we ran into a DVD copy protection scheme that set a status flag to "stop", "repeat" or "exit", that would trigger such action in all but the "allowed" players. Those allowed players either change the meaning of the flag, or ignored it.... One seemed to sequence the allowed playback track as 1, 11,21,31..., 2, 22,32,.... and we stopped playing with it. I doubt they would go that far on live feed, but a stop or repeat would be easy.

H stands for Hierarchical. An example is the use of a modulation constellation type to provide support for multiple media types or to make a transmission backwards compatible.

High priority data is transmitted along with an additional lower priority layer to support reception by both legacy DVBS and newer S2 receivers of the same signal. S2 receivers would display the HD version and DVBS receivers display the SD version.

awesome!

i have a question on the new receiver. when i get an hd signal from pbs or other sources my tv still has the display that doesn't widen to fit the screen and i have to change the picture to full display instead of standard. standard when i get an hd signal from the antenna it fills the screen. my present receiver is a solomend/openbox. maybe i don't have something set right now but it would be nice to have the hd picture automatically. thanks, charlie

What do you have your Openbox set to under TV System: Video Resolution and TV System: Aspect Mode? Mine works fine in HD.

i have a question on the new receiver. when i get an hd signal from pbs or other sources my tv still has the display that doesn't widen to fit the screen and i have to change the picture to full display instead of standard. standard when i get an hd signal from the antenna it fills the screen. my present receiver is a solomend/openbox. maybe i don't have something set right now but it would be nice to have the hd picture automatically. thanks, charlie

The microHD has display settings for 480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i, 1080p, 1080p 30fps, Native TV or by Source.
The aspect can be set to Auto, 16:9, 4:3WB and 4:3LB

Works very well on filling the screen with the proper looking images when the TV's aspect and resolution settings are set to either native or correctly configured to match the receiver settings. Beware of selecting "Source" type, as the transmission maybe incorrectly flagged and output the incorrect resolution and aspect ratios.

Testing the AM/PM 12 hour clock configuration and the GMT and Local Time settings.

The local time setting holds through standby modes for flawless timer settings with the connected external power supply. Standby mode is Energy Star compliant at 1watt with the spin down of the HDD.

Currently the GMT setting is set by the channel that is tuned. We are almost complete with implementing a menu feature that allow the user to select the satellite and transponder providing the time reference and time setting synchronization.

The 1500 audio services on AMC8, 3951 continue to steal too much of my research time, but I love a challenge! We are experiencing increased reliability in the scans and are able to capture most of the 1500 channels with several repetitive scans of the TP. We anticipate that we will eventually log all of the services with a single scan, but am challenged with allocating memory and setting the correct timeouts to capture the data without slowing down the scan for the more typical user.

Brian, and others. I have no idea if this is the same, but when I was in Canada in May, we ran into a DVD copy protection scheme that set a status flag to "stop", "repeat" or "exit", that would trigger such action in all but the "allowed" players. Those allowed players either change the meaning of the flag, or ignored it.... One seemed to sequence the allowed playback track as 1, 11,21,31..., 2, 22,32,.... and we stopped playing with it. I doubt they would go that far on live feed, but a stop or repeat would be easy.

Nothing that complex with this feed. It appears that a little tweaking with the transport stream will allow playback. We have increased the play out time before the looping occurs and minimized the occasional errors, but still have some decoding issues to overcome that only occur with this particular feed.

Testing the AM/PM 12 hour clock configuration and the GMT and Local Time settings.

The local time setting holds through standby modes for flawless timer settings with the connected external power supply. Standby mode is Energy Star compliant at 1watt with the spin down of the HDD.

Currently the GMT setting is set by the channel that is tuned. We are almost complete with implementing a menu feature that allow the user to select the satellite and transponder providing the time reference and time setting synchronization.

Brian, is there a way that the receiver could be set so that, once the correct time is established, it will keep that time and not sync the clock with every channel/satellite change?

EDIT: I believe that's what you are working on, but just wanted to clarify ;) ...

Tron said:
Brian, is there a way that the receiver could be set so that, once the correct time is established, it will keep that time and not sync the clock with every channel/satellite change?

EDIT: I believe that's what you are working on, but just wanted to clarify ;) ...

Correct, this is exactly what is being implemented.

The local time setting is one way of maintaining a fixed time setting.

The fixed GMT method is an exclusive feature that we developed for previous GEOSATpro models that you will find on no other FTA receiver. In this time mode the receiver is still synced by the satellite, but the user gets to select which satellite and transponder sets the GMT reference.

All other FTA receivers sync the GMT to whatever transponder is tuned. This wreaks havoc on PVR recordings as the majority of transponders are not referenced to GMT.

Brian
Maybe I'm lazy or havent asked it (or just cant see it)

The Manhattan can record two streams on the same transponder while watching a 3rd. So as example one could record 3ABN and LLBN while surfing the rest of the transponder.

Does the Micro have that ability?

i have video resolution at 1080i. aspect mode is auto. charlie

I don't know what's going on then, I would think it would work fine on HD channels. I don't use auto, however, because it tends to stretch my SD channels and I normally don't want them stretched. I have mine set to 16:9. SD shows in 4:3 with black sides (unless it's a widescreen SD channel, which I'm seeing more and more of), HD shows as 16:9. Come to think of it, that sounds confusing because you'd think 16:9 would make everything 16:9, but I take it to mean the aspect ratio of your physical screen.

Are you connected via HDMI or component? If you're using HDMI, maybe your TV doesn't identify itself properly to the receiver, or the receiver doesn't know how to interpret the response. I'm using component, so I don't have to worry about anything like that.

Brian
Maybe I'm lazy or havent asked it (or just cant see it)

The Manhattan can record two streams on the same transponder while watching a 3rd. So as example one could record 3ABN and LLBN while surfing the rest of the transponder.

Does the Micro have that ability?

I am sure that this could be done. How does the user start and control two recordings on a single transponder. Please describe how this is done.

Example: Do you place the receiver on channel one and press record, place the receiver on channel two and press record and then view channel 3? Is this option available when Timeshift option is ON or OFF? Is the option available in both the Transport Stream (TS) and Program Stream (PS) modes? When STOP is pressed, does a prompt appear asking which recording to stop?

Another member PMed asking if the receiver could select and remember a different audio track for example on iFilm on 97W has two languages.

Yes, the microHD remembers the audio selection for each channel and recalls the last selected audio track selected, and if stereo, left or right channel.

I am sure that this could be done. How does the user start and control two recordings on a single transponder. Please describe how this is done.

Example: Do you place the receiver on channel one and press record, place the receiver on channel two and press record and then view channel 3? Is this option available when Timeshift option is ON or OFF? Is the option available in both the Transport Stream (TS) and Program Stream (PS) modes? When STOP is pressed, does a prompt appear asking which recording to stop?

I have timeshift off as on the Manhattan timeshift on removes the signal meter and instead shows the DVR screen when you hit the "i" button twice (with timeshift off it shows the info like TP, PIDS, type of channel, etc)

On a mux find what channel you want (lets say RTV on AMC7 C-Band) and hit record. Then channel up/down through the transponder and find say PBJ. Hit record again. Now you're recording two streams. You can channel up/down through the transponder. If you hit a channel that you are recording the "REC" is in the right corner.

As for stopping a program it falls under one of two options. If you are on a channel you are recording and hit stop it asks you to confirm that you want to stop that program.
If you are on another channel and hit stop it gives you a popup of the 2 channel names with an arrow on one of them. Arrow to the one and hit "stop" and it asks to confirm

I'll take screen pics later...recording something right now ;)

ok game got over ;)

by the way this is on .ts recordings

so I go to 97W and on 3ABN hit record
attachment.php

Then I channel up to Hope channel and hit record again...now both channels are recording
attachment.php

While those 2 are recording I could watch Hope Church Channel
attachment.php

Whoops I'm going to go off that transponder so it gives me a warning
attachment.php

Now I'm on Amazing Facts (while still recording). If I hit Stop this popup shows up allowing me to stop one of the programs
attachment.php

I select 3ABN and it gives me one last time to back out (this sounds like a computer) ;)
attachment.php

I stopped 3ABN but Hope still records
attachment.php

And now if I hit stop again it asks me one last time to confirm
attachment.php

If I hit DVR it shows the 2 programs I recorded...note they are pretty much the same times
attachment.php

Attachments

• PICT0172.JPG
    PICT0172.JPG
    742.4 KB · Views: 434
  • PICT0174.JPG
    PICT0174.JPG
    578.7 KB · Views: 408
  • PICT0176.JPG
    PICT0176.JPG
    861 KB · Views: 438
  • PICT0178.JPG
    PICT0178.JPG
    826 KB · Views: 418
  • PICT0182.JPG
    PICT0182.JPG
    766.2 KB · Views: 422
  • PICT0183.JPG
    PICT0183.JPG
    775.6 KB · Views: 410
  • PICT0184.JPG
    PICT0184.JPG
    754.7 KB · Views: 393
  • PICT0185.JPG
    PICT0185.JPG
    772.4 KB · Views: 378
  • PICT0186.JPG
    PICT0186.JPG
    886.9 KB · Views: 435
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts