New hardware on the horizon?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

bobjackson

Original poster
Apr 19, 2012
Houston
Where is Directv in there current hardware cycle. I am curious if they are going to introduce Hopper type hardware in the near future.

I understand the HR34/25 combination will get me close...

Thanks in advance.

Isn't Dish actually catching up with the Hopper? I don't know where they are with hardware upgrades but the current system imo is ahead of Dish.

Where is Directv in there current hardware cycle. I am curious if they are going to introduce Hopper type hardware in the near future.

What do you think that the HR34 is? I don't think that they need to have anything "Hopper like" as the HR34 is capable of doing the same thing if they will ever come out with the RVU clients for it. With a HR34 and H25 you can do everything that the Hopper/Joey can do except pause live TV on the H25. If they ever come out with a RVU client (Joey like device) then it will use the HR34 as the server and you can pause live tv and everything, except that the client will use one of the HR34's five tuners.

Exactly, the Hopper was Dish's response to the HR34, not the other way around.

I think the real question is now that dish has countered with the Hopper, Can dtv counter the hopper with HR34+ software upgrade or are they going to counter with newer hardware.

Personally I think that the hr34 is robust enough get away with simple software to enhance it functions.

I think the real question is now that dish has countered with the Hopper, Can dtv counter the hopper with HR34+ software upgrade or are they going to counter with newer hardware.

Personally I think that the hr34 is robust enough get away with simple software to enhance it functions.

After being corrected in the previous replies, I think StoneCold reworded my question very well. HR34 + Software updates + "Joey like" devices to be able to pause the HR34 would be the utopia?

I don't have the HR34 but couldn't you start recording from the H25 using an available tuner on the HR34 so you could pause and and skip back just like the Joey?

I think the next "Holy Grail" is cloud based DVR's & direct connection to smart TV's without receivers or external RVU's. I don't know if satellite TV providers can initially be as successful as cable & IPTV providers(could a cloud based DVR system be set up solely using DTV's & E*'s present dish set ups?).

No reason that D* should have to bring out something more than what they have, improvements, yes, but new stuff for something that the other guys tried to catch up with you with ?
No.

I like my MRV with the HR24's

Yes indeed. HR34, HR24, and 2 H25's here. Absolutely love the setup! Everybody has their own tuner and the "beast" stays busy recording 5 things at a time...not just locals either. I don't watch much NBC or ABC so I don't need 'em! A few evenings ago I pulled up the playlist there was 7 things recording in the house and the 2 H25's were watching live TV. I could hear the jealous kangaroo's beating on the door wanting to see it in action ;)

Yes indeed. HR34, HR24, and 2 H25's here. Absolutely love the setup! Everybody has their own tuner and the "beast" stays busy recording 5 things at a time...not just locals either. I don't watch much NBC or ABC so I don't need 'em! A few evenings ago I pulled up the playlist there was 7 things recording in the house and the 2 H25's were watching live TV. I could hear the jealous kangaroo's beating on the door wanting to see it in action ;)

+1 I love my HR34 with my HR24 :)

you would have thought companies would have learned when the "industry" sued the crap out of SONICBlue/ReplayTV over commercial skip, etc back in the day trying to force them out of all existence.

I don't have the HR34 but couldn't you start recording from the H25 using an available tuner on the HR34 so you could pause and and skip back just like the Joey?

Could someone confirm this, or you just cannot setup a recording from the H25?

Could someone confirm this, or you just cannot setup a recording from the H25?

Yes, just hit record on the H25. I think it even asks you which DVR if you have more than one on the network.

Sent from my C64 w/Epyx FastLoad cartridge

digiblur said:
Yes, just hit record on the H25. I think it even asks you which DVR if you have more than one on the network.

Hmm, it may with the 25 and the hr 34. It wouldn't do it with me previous multiple hr setup. Not that it needed to obviously but that would have been great to make it all one big hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

Hmm, it may with the 25 and the hr 34. It wouldn't do it with me previous multiple hr setup. Not that it needed to obviously but that would have been great to make it all one big hard drive.

Sent from my iPhone using SatelliteGuys

I know it asks me which dvr to record if you scroll forward in the guide to record something. Not sure about the stuff in progress but I see shows from time to time that the kids record in progress.

Exactly, the Hopper was Dish's response to the HR34, not the other way around.
Except that at this point, the HR34 isn't a whole lot more than a HR24 with more tuners.

DISH leapfrogged the HMC by actually delivering a complete system with client boxes; something DIRECTV has been inexplicably unable to do.

That being said, I believe the next big thing will be some manner of HMC client.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)