NEW HD RUMOR; 24 HD Channels for DirecTV..Bye bye Voom

Status
Please reply by conversation.
matthpd195 said:
So does this mean you have information regarding ABC HD?? I haven't heard anything else about this channel being added!?

Its been hinted along with another channel but I didn't know what that other channel was and my contact told me is wasn't launched yet but I never thought it was ESPN2 going HD so with that said I think it will be coming with ESPN2 HD.

But I can't confirm or deny this information and I'm pretty sure I might have crossed a line in saying this but its all rumor isn't it.

When my contact said that they had deals done for channels it could very well mean that ABC HD East and West and ESPN2 HD could be three of those channels.

But its true that yes Disney would use ABCHD carriage as a force to get ESPN2 HD. I would not be suprised if Disney worked into DirecTVs contract that when DirecTV freed bandwidth that they must carry ABC HD east and west and I wouldn't be suprised if that contract also included carriage of ESPN2 HD when launched because Disney I know has been planning to launch ESPN2 HD from day one because its just common sense and a matter of time.

LonghornXP said:
...there will be a total of 24 HD channels including the old ones currently available.

Channels 1-5 will be the current HDTV Package for 10.99/month.
Channels 6 and 7 are the current CBS East and West HD feeds.
Channels 8 and 9 are the current HBO HD and Showtime HD channels.

Channels 10, 11, 12 and 13 will be future HDTV Package channels which would be if added the following.....InHD 1&2, TNT HD and ESPN2 HD.

Channels 14, 15, 16 and 17 will be future premium movie channels which would include TMC HD, Cinemax HD, Starz HD and Encore HD.

Also channel 18 will be for the coming NFL Network HD.

Channels 19 and 20 will be for the coming Fox HD NY and LA
Channels.

Channels 21 and 22 will be for the coming NBC HD NY and LA feeds.

Channels 23 and 24 will be for the coming ABC HD NY and LA feeds.
If that's the "new lineup" by the end of this year or so, I'd be a might happy camper! :clap

This would allow DirecTV to strongly compete with anyone in the HD arena, and would likely (when you factor in Sunday Ticket) sink the Voom ship once and for all - there would be no real reason to get Voom. :yikes

Other than perhaps a SciFi Channel (not my cup of tea, but I know others like it), and maybe HGTV or something like that, this lineup would keep all of us very busy watching HDTV!! :cool:

pradike said:
If that's the "new lineup" by the end of this year or so, I'd be a might happy camper! :clap

This would allow DirecTV to strongly compete with anyone in the HD arena, and would likely (when you factor in Sunday Ticket) sink the Voom ship once and for all - there would be no real reason to get Voom. :yikes

Other than perhaps a SciFi Channel (not my cup of tea, but I know others like it), and maybe HGTV or something like that, this lineup would keep all of us very busy watching HDTV!! :cool:

Now just to point out that I'm not saying this will be the final lineup but it will be for the most part the type of lineup we will be seeing and could very well be the exact lineup we will all have but if could be a little different but again I'm not saying this will be the final lineup of HDTV from DirecTV so I don't want anyone getting their hopes up for this exact lineup to be coming to a receiver near them but it should be very close what what it will be soon within the next month or two.

matthpd195 said:
So does this mean you have information regarding ABC HD?? I haven't heard anything else about this channel being added!?

DirecTV already has CBS-HD E&W, they will soon have NBC-HD E&W and FOX-HD E&W. Odds are very good that ABC-HD E&W will be added. Also taking into account the fact that DirecTV and Disney were negotiating their carriage again this year (the article that came out said, I believe, "later this year" or "late this year", or something like that), and after negotiations were over was when CBS-HD was announced and NBC-HD was announced. Also take into account that Ken H. on avsforums said that:

I can confirm D* & ABC are in talks for HD carriage.

Taking all this into consideration, I would say that chances are VERY good for ABC-HD on DirecTV...hopefully sooner than later as I would like to see ABC programming in HD.

~Alan

pradike said:

I will not like to open the Voom/DirecTv debate but I would think that us as consumers want more providers (be it VOOM, Dish Network or Cable or someone else) to drive the HD market competition as well. The monopolistic approach does not work and will not benefit consumers. It is competition among the various HD providers that does. This is why Dish Network gets a thumb down from me. They are just playing the wating mode. If as a result someone sinks or is left behind, that's what the market dictates. We as consumers (I think) all will benefit from competition. Unless anyone of us has special interest in any particular provider (stock holders or special position within the company).

The latest list of 24 channels really could make sense. That is good news if they are not counting Sunday Ticket channels.

Breaking the list down:
The Basic HD $10.99 package would offer 10 channels

The Local Package would get you the 8 HD Network channels (do you also get these with the HD package or do you have to have the Local package?)(This would actually be 4 channels for me since I only recieve the west coast feeds. Is it possible to get both East & West feeds?)

Then there would be 6 premium HD movie channels (this would make it alot easier for me to upgrade to the TOTAL CHOICE PREMIER)

Why is Charlie biding his time? With whom would the FCC be more likely to approve as a merger/takeover partner for Voom - E* or D*? Charlie's strategy: let D* invest heavily now in HD, keeping Voom's subs numbers below target and bleeding red ink. Wait until the death and scoop up Voom for a song. Who else, besides D* and E*, would want Voom as it stands now? With the scale tilting toward D* now, I suspect the FCC would offer E* less resistance to purchase approval.

I don't think the air can truly be cleared until the Ka / Ku / SuperDish things have the dust settled. There is quite a bit of good information and good speculation out there between the big 3 forums.

What else is new, we will just have to wait until D* breaks the news, however, I feel this is be sooner (2004) rather than later (2005).

I support the rumor earlier in this thread where D* will add Ka or Ku (I am not this technical ... yet) in the 90, 101 & 110 slots and move to 5 LNB dish ... it just makes the most sense. The whole 72.5 to 119, man that mother would be huge and the time to deploy to current customers insane.

ramcm7 said:
Why is Charlie biding his time? With whom would the FCC be more likely to approve as a merger/takeover partner for Voom - E* or D*? Charlie's strategy: let D* invest heavily now in HD, keeping Voom's subs numbers below target and bleeding red ink. Wait until the death and scoop up Voom for a song. Who else, besides D* and E*, would want Voom as it stands now? With the scale tilting toward D* now, I suspect the FCC would offer E* less resistance to purchase approval.

I think that makes perfect sense. Charlie being smaller than Rupert would be a natural player for Voom and DTV doesn't need Voom. Either way- Voom is a small fish waiting to be eaten.

Just to keep it on topic and refrence an early thread This is what were looking at as Scott posted a couple weeks ago

1. CBS-E (NFL) - 101°
2. CBS-W (NFL) - 101°
3. FOX-E (NFL)
4. FOX-W (NFL)
5. NBC
6. NBC
7. ESPN - 110°
8. Bravo
9. HDNet - 119°
10. HDNet Movies - 110°
11. Discovery HD - 110°
12. HD Events (NFL) - 110°
13. HD PPV (NFL) - 119°
14. HBO - 119°
15. Showtime - 110°
16. Additional Full Time 1 (ABC-E?)
17. Additional Full Time 2 (ABC-W?)
18. Additional Full Time 3 (TNT-HD?)
19. Additional Full Time 4 (Cinemax-HD?)
20. Additional Full Time 5 (Starz-HD?)
21. Additional Full Time 6 (TMC-HD?)
22. Additional Full Time 7 (NFL Network?)
23. (NFL Sunday Ticket) - 101°
24. (NFL Sunday Ticket) - 101°

Everything here makes sense other than 23 & 24, given that we have 8 NFLST HD channels now. Perhaps this list is not all inclusive of D*'s plans or we will only see 22 channels total.

slacker9876 said:
Just to keep it on topic and refrence an early thread This is what were looking at as Scott posted a couple weeks ago

1. CBS-E (NFL) - 101°
2. CBS-W (NFL) - 101°
3. FOX-E (NFL)
4. FOX-W (NFL)
5. NBC
6. NBC
7. ESPN - 110°
8. Bravo
9. HDNet - 119°
10. HDNet Movies - 110°
11. Discovery HD - 110°
12. HD Events (NFL) - 110°
13. HD PPV (NFL) - 119°
14. HBO - 119°
15. Showtime - 110°
16. Additional Full Time 1 (ABC-E?)
17. Additional Full Time 2 (ABC-W?)
18. Additional Full Time 3 (TNT-HD?)
19. Additional Full Time 4 (Cinemax-HD?)
20. Additional Full Time 5 (Starz-HD?)
21. Additional Full Time 6 (TMC-HD?)
22. Additional Full Time 7 (NFL Network?)
23. (NFL Sunday Ticket) - 101°
24. (NFL Sunday Ticket) - 101°

Everything here makes sense other than 23 & 24, given that we have 8 NFLST HD channels now. Perhaps this list is not all inclusive of D*'s plans or we will only see 22 channels total.

Add HBOHD-W and inHD 1 & 2, and you'd have a real strong lineup.

I'd like to see the cost of the HD Tivo's to come way done so everyone can have one and then add just the east code feed of the HD channels instead of the east and west feed. That way they won't be using up bandwidth for the west coast feed, and DirecTV can add even more HD channels. You can Tivo the east coast feed and watch it when you are ready to.

Chris

Seawaves said:
Add HBOHD-W and inHD 1 & 2, and you'd have a real strong lineup.

How many times do I have to say that this list is not the list and the list does not include the NFL Sunday Ticket channels nor does it include Spice/PPV or Special Events channels.

This lineup has to be said to be out of date right now.

LongHorn you are the only one in this forum with a Brain

Could you give us a hint at what date this may all take place(New HD Channels)..just a taste!

Or I will be forced to pound another pin in my head!!

LonghornXP said:
How many times do I have to say that this list is not the list and the list does not include the NFL Sunday Ticket channels nor does it include Spice/PPV or Special Events channels.

This lineup has to be said to be out of date right now.

We all have "OUR" list, yours or no else's is official, no matter how much insider info you have.

This thread is every bit about a wish list of HD channels for DTV to add.

The only official list will be when Directv has the channels active....

Neutron said:
The only official list will be when Directv has the channels active....

Neut,

I can see a DTV plan to ramp the HD and drop the DVR price and rule the HD world. Even ten new HD channels of non-network content would be huge.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts