New Hopper Software causing HD loss???

soccer_mom

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jul 23, 2012
Ohio
I woke up this morning to see a message that the software on my Hopper has been updated overnight. After reading this I haven't been able to get any HD channels with a message that says "Signal loss on HD channel, tuning to SD equivalent" and the Hopper keeps kicking me to the SD version of whatever I'm trying to watch. This is happening on both local and cable channels. I'm blaming this on the software upgrade because there hasn't been any other change in condition from the last day to today (weather is the same, zero wind, nothing). Unless there's a problem happening somewhere in space.

Anyone else seeing this? Tried the reset and check switch (which returned a message that says it found fewer satellites???).

I hope you didn't save when it mentioned fewer satellites. There is a problem with your installation.

Sent from my iPhone 4S using Forum Runner

Tried a hard reset (unplugged and waited for like 3 minutes) and am still getting the same result.

Thanks for your replies, and yes, I did NOT save when it asked me what I wanted to do. I don't understand how the installation can be the problem as I've been watching on this system for almost a year now... The only thing that's changed has been the software upgrade to the hopper.

There are some close by, but not in the line of sight for the dish. I would say the closest one would be 10 feet behind or so.

I am having a similar issue that started last night with a Joey. I was able to upgrade one of my Hopper 2000 with a Hopper with/sling, but I linked the Joey I have with the other Hopper 2000 before swapping out my other Hopper to the Hopper w/sling. The Hopper 2000 that the Joey is linked to is running S246 so I'm not real sure how the Joey software updated to S292. My symptoms with the Joey were similar in the caption said the receiver had lost the high def channel and was switched to the SD version, except there was no picture just a black screen. The only thing I could do was pull up the channel guide but I could not get a picture, I did a red button reset on the Joey to no avail. I linked the Joey to the Hopper w/sling which is running S315 and everything worked as would be expected, I linked the Joey back to the Hopper 2000 running S246 and the problems returned to the Joey with just a black screen. My system prior to the upgrade to the Hopper w/sling was 2 Hopper 2000's and 1 Joey and my system worked flawlessly, so I suspect that S246 and S315 aren't playing together nicely, thats just my 2 cents worth.

I am having a similar issue that started last night with a Joey. I was able to upgrade one of my Hopper 2000 with a Hopper with/sling, but I linked the Joey I have with the other Hopper 2000 before swapping out my other Hopper to the Hopper w/sling. The Hopper 2000 that the Joey is linked to is running S246 so I'm not real sure how the Joey software updated to S292. My symptoms with the Joey were similar in the caption said the receiver had lost the high def channel and was switched to the SD version, except there was no picture just a black screen. The only thing I could do was pull up the channel guide but I could not get a picture, I did a red button reset on the Joey to no avail. I linked the Joey to the Hopper w/sling which is running S315 and everything worked as would be expected, I linked the Joey back to the Hopper 2000 running S246 and the problems returned to the Joey with just a black screen. My system prior to the upgrade to the Hopper w/sling was 2 Hopper 2000's and 1 Joey and my system worked flawlessly, so I suspect that S246 and S315 aren't playing together nicely, thats just my 2 cents worth.

Do you get any error messages when you run a check switch test? What are your signal strengths?

I ran the check switch test and everything was fine and no error messages. I will try and post my signal strength below.

ForumRunner_20130718_200321.png

ForumRunner_20130718_200335.png

ForumRunner_20130718_200346.png

ForumRunner_20130718_200355.png

I've had the same problem for a while now, swapped hopper and nothing. Right now I went to costco and exchanged my E-Series Vizio with a new M-series to see if the TV was the problem, its still happening.

Tomorrow a tech is coming to check the whole install(wires,nodes,switches).

I had the same problem several times with original Hopper. So far, so good with HWS.

I just started having the same problem, the day after getting the new software on my Hopper.

I am also having this problem a day after the update. It wasn't doing it at first but just started doing it out of nowhere. My other hopper is ok as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone 5 using SatelliteGuys

I am also having this problem a day after the update. It wasn't doing it at first but just started doing it out of nowhere. My other hopper is ok as far as I know.

Update: Red button reset seems to have fixed the problem for now.