New HR10-250 Audio Dropout Problem

Status
Please reply by conversation.

High Technology

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 14, 2004
Over the past week I began to get repetitive and frequent audio dropouts with my HD TiVo. These now happen about once or twice a minute, and are extremely annoying. My video is fine, and I don't experience any pixelization, etc. at the time the dropouts occur. While I have had periodic audio dropouts since I've had this thing, they've only been a handful of times (at most) during an hour-long show.

My unit is hooked up to my receiver using the optical cable, and these occur on both SD and HD channels. Also, they happen on older recorded material, that previously didn't have the dropouts. I have swapped the end of the optical cable that's plugged into the TiVo to a DVD player and had no audio drops with a DVD feed.

Are these the beginnings of hard drive problems, and if so, why doesn't the video drop too?

Or did Directv/TiVo do something new to the software? I have the same version I've had for a while, yet my 30-second skip feature deactivated itself again (this was usually a telltale sign of some kind of software patch/upgrade).

I've tried the clear season passes/To Do at the direction of Tech Support, but that didn't solve the problem. A few weeks ago I bought a spare WD 250GB drive that I was planning to use to upgrade the TiVo, but I suppose if I can't get this resolved I might try a drive swap to see that works...

Has anyone else developed this problem in the past week, and if so, have you been able to fix it?

Thanks.

Craig

Audio dropouts

My HR10-250 is doing the same thing, I think D* will correct it soon and if not, it may be something that we have to live with.

I just tried my analog connections, and there are no dropouts at all. This is a problem only with the digital output...and the dropouts are pretty constant and consistent.

PeaceOfMind -- did yours just start recently too?

The new replacement I just received is doing it also. Seems like it is gradually getting worse. Is this happening to all of them or is it a hardware failure?

My HDTIVO experienced a lot of audio "hiccups" yesterday, normally this is very rare for me, but yesterday it happened a lot. I find it interesting that others are experiencing this as well, I wonder if some kind of update was just released?

Well, it looks like I am not alone -- but are there enough of us to get Directv to look into the issue??? If you have this audio dropout problem, where the dropouts occur frequently (at least every couple of minutes), please:

1) Post here (if you haven't already), and

2) Call Directv and make them aware of the issue.

Thanks everyone!

Craig

Below is an email I received from D* about the audio drop outs:

I'm truly sorry for the inconvenience our recent software upgrade to HR10-250 has caused you. To correct this problem, kindly turn off Dolby-Digital as a short-term fix. In addition, be assured that a future software download will resolve the issue.

If you continue having trouble, please call our technical support center and discuss the problem with one of our technical representatives. To reach them, just call 1-800-531-5000 and select the option for technical assistance.

Thanks again for writing and I hope we're able to fix the problem quickly.

Sincerely,

Merely turning off Dolby digital did not work on ours. We also had to use the actual composite analog outputs to connect to our receiver. The optical output did the same thing whether the output was set to DD or not.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)