New info in SEC doc filed 9/2

wbuffetta said:
Self Installs Is Not A Option For Most People
I most definitely agree, but there should be an option for those who can. I have never had a DBS system installed by anyone, including Voom. My stuff was ready for him to plug in when he showed up, all he had to do was run an extra line from the dish to my new Voom stb. :yes

How about letting me sell my VoOm box if I bought it. Or letting me buy a used box and activating it. Voom has to get off of their cable mentality.

Jerry

Part of the problem lies in the digital antennas Voom provides to pick up local TV stations. Based on surveys of customers who cancel the service, "poor reception of local signals is a significant cause of our higher-than-anticipated churn rate," Voom said in the filing.

And people wonder why DirecTV is going to "waste" all of their new bandwidth on local HD channels.

jawilljr said:
How about letting me sell my VoOm box if I bought it. Or letting me buy a used box and activating it. Voom has to get off of their cable mentality.

Jerry

Voom may know of all the people that rip D* with illegal hot boxes.

I like this part, (We have a large number of installed customers who have never made any payments to us ) I have gotten billed 3 times in the past month and I canceled a while back and its not even the right amount I was paying. It seems that for those who have canceled, they are trying to have them pay for the ones who are not paying. Maybe not , but seems that way.

Dvlos said:
Voom may know of all the people that rip D* with illegal hot boxes.

the question is why v* won't ACTIVATE boxes bought 2nd hand. I mean duh, if somebody calls you up to ACTIVATE service, he's not ripping you off. And every box has the phone line, which is required. Also, as far as I know, the encryption system v* uses has never been hacked.

Voom depends on outside installers, who have had to learn to install new types of equipment that sometimes has "operational issues"

What is so "new" about a STB and a dish! If they can install a D or E system surely they can install a V system.

I too cancelled V in August, no one ever picked up my box. I keep getting billed "which I will not pay". The STB is in the original box under my bed waiting pickup, still active? Have no idea.

Carter said:
And people wonder why DirecTV is going to "waste" all of their new bandwidth on local HD channels.

I get 14 digital broadcasts in my area with the stealth. SO I'm not complainging. :yes

Couldn't DirecTV speed up Voom's slow and painful death by just buying Voom's bandwidth? Getting little DirecTV stickers to put over the Voom logo shouldn't cost that much to send out to 28,700 people.

haldol said:
Couldn't DirecTV speed up Voom's slow and painful death by just buying Voom's bandwidth? Getting little DirecTV stickers to put over the Voom logo shouldn't cost that much to send out to 28,700 people.
How can D* afford that when they cant afford to add TNTHD?

How can D* afford that when they cant afford to add TNTHD?

Don't think it's a "money" issue. Have no idea what the hold up is but it's ridiculous whatever it is. CSR told me Voom stole the deal and they had to start over from scratch....whatever that means

DirecTV Boosts HD As VOOM Prepares for Doom

Dont know if this has been posted yet. If so sorry.

New research from tThe Diffusion Group suggests that satellite HD services will boom despite the impending failure of VOOM.

Dallas, TX (PRWEB) September 14, 2004 -- Just as direct broadcast satellite (DBS) video service providers raised the bar with PVRs, expanded satellite HDTV offerings will provoke cable companies to respond in kind. A new report from Dallas-based research consultancy The Diffusion Group predicts that DirecTV’s recent announcement to deploy four new HD-capable satellites over the next few years will spur cable competitors to rapidly increase their HD offerings. At the same time, and despite this new energy among DBS players, upstart satellite and direct-terrestrial-television provider VOOM will likely be reduced to licensing HD content, be absorbed by another HD producer, or declare bankruptcy by year-end 2005.

“With DirecTV expanding its HD offerings with four new satellites, the Company will have the capacity to deliver 1,000 additional local and high-definition channels as well as 150 national high-definition channels,” says Scott Kipp, contributing analyst with The Diffusion Group. “This will put DirecTV in an excellent position to grab a significant portion of the 70 million U.S. households that will be “HDTV-ready” by 2007.”

Conversely, HD upstart VOOM is doomed. VOOM’s recent SEC filing was intended to prepare Rainbow Media (the parent company and subsidiary of Cablevision) for spin-off as a separate company with its own publicly traded stock. The spin-off was originally scheduled for September pending SEC approval. Somewhat interesting was Cablevision’s claim that only by spinning-off Rainbow Media will Cablevision be able to “reverse this trend and grow our customer base quickly and significantly.”

The VOOM service – launched less than one year ago – has attracted only 29,000 subscribers, far short of the 200,000 pledged for year-end 2004. After the company announced price increases and a reduction in equipment subsidies during Q2 2004, subscriptions decreased and churn increased. VOOM posted losses of $36 million in Q1 2004 and $61.6 million in Q2 2004. Q3 2004 losses are expected to exceed $80 million.
In general, DirecTV’s announcement to enhance its HD offerings will prove a necessary competitive impetus, especially among cable operators. As Kipp suggests, “Given the lack-luster diffusion of HDTV to date, the industry must focus on improving (1) the production and availability of compelling content, (2) the accessibility of HD equipment and services at reasonable prices, and (3) awareness among mainstream consumers as to the unique value of HDTV.

TDG’s latest report, "HDTV Service Providers: Competitive Analysis & Forecasts," profiles the various HD services currently offered to U.S. consumers; examines the competitive dynamics underlying service expansion; and forecasts both service adoption and HD technology diffusion through 2008. "HDTV Service Providers: Competitive Analysis & Forecasts" is now available for purchase on the Company’s website, www.tdgreserach.com

About The Diffusion Group
The Diffusion Group is a “think tank” of consumer technology analysts charged with providing timely, actionable intelligence designed to best position new consumer technologies for rapid diffusion. TDG is committed to providing market research and strategic consulting services based on conservative, real-world analysis and market forecasts grounded in consumer research. For more information about The Diffusion Group, visit our website at www.tdgresearch.com.

Media Contact:
Andy Tarczon
972-731-2553
andy@tdgresearch.com

I search for a suitable thread to merge to but I could not find it. If you point it to me, I'll look and see if it's the same thread.

"In general, DirecTV’s announcement to enhance its HD offerings will prove a necessary competitive impetus, especially among cable operators. As Kipp suggests, “Given the lack-luster diffusion of HDTV to date, the industry must focus on improving (1) the production and availability of compelling content, (2) the accessibility of HD equipment and services at reasonable prices, and (3) awareness among mainstream consumers as to the unique value of HDTV."

improve awareness of HD? How? by reducing their bandwidth so much that they are giving away their HD pak?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)