New Install, what do you think!

Thanks. Should the DPP44 not be grounded? Did you take note of the 12 port splitter? That was hard to find. Finally found one from CATV/SMATV/Broadband Communications Equipment for Voice, Video, and Data System Design - Blonder Tongue Laboratories, Inc. I did all the work except install the dishes. I installed the Sirius antenna, wiring, and the installer let me install the DPP44 too.

Technically speaking...I'll leave it up to you to decide...the DPP44 and DP34 are not U/L certified as groundblocks. That's all I'm saying. Granted, Dish did put groundlugs on both switches. :p

If I say anymore I'm sure I'll hear about it not only on this board, but probably at one of my weekly meets. LOL

Nice Installation

Very nice install Charles. I wonder if Dr. Video, your installer, is going to get paid for all the in-house cable runs, wall plates, etc. that you installed. :rolleyes:

I do note however that the coax cables on the Sirius antenna as well as the two dishes do not appear to run through grounding blocks before entering the house as required by the NEC.

FWIW, I attended a BICSI installation course and according to them, mounting boards should either be fire retardent plywood (difficult to acquire) or painted with fire retardent paint. This was for commercial buildings do I don't know if any residential building codes require it.

I'm curious. You are receiving St Louis LILs, you have Charter cable life line or basic, and OTA antenna. That's 3 sources for STL stations(?)

Maybe a professional installer can answer why DISH 500s are now being installed for 61.5 vice DISH 300 18" dishes(?) I don't see how it can provide more gain with two focal points.

Lastly, enjoy your new system. What type of wall plates did you use?

Technically speaking...I'll leave it up to you to decide...the DPP44 and DP34 are not U/L certified as groundblocks. That's all I'm saying. Granted, Dish did put groundlugs on both switches. :p

If I say anymore I'm sure I'll hear about it not only on this board, but probably at one of my weekly meets. LOL

OK, I will research that grounding stuff. Thanks again

Very nice install Charles. I wonder if Dr. Video, your installer, is going to get paid for all the in-house cable runs, wall plates, etc. that you installed.
I do note however that the coax cables on the Sirius antenna as well as the two dishes do not appear to run through grounding blocks before entering the house as required by the NEC.
FWIW, I attended a BICSI installation course and according to them, mounting boards should either be fire retardant plywood (difficult to acquire) or painted with fire retardant paint. This was for commercial buildings do I don't know if any residential building codes require it.
I'm curious. You are receiving St Louis LILs, you have Charter cable life line or basic, and OTA antenna. That's 3 sources for STL stations(?)
Maybe a professional installer can answer why DISH 500s are now being installed for 61.5 vice DISH 300 18" dishes(?) I don't see how it can provide more gain with two focal points.

Red,

Wow on the mount board. I guess maybe it should be fire retartant painted. I never thought of that.

Two of the 722s and the 625 have four coax going to them with Leviton keystone type plates. I used 3gig and changed out all connectors thru out the house with 3gig.

We kept Charter's basic cable service and they are still my ISP. If you could make out on the mount board the A/B switch that cable is on A and modulated out from two 722s and the 625 are on B. If satellite goes down and the OTA too I will just punch the A/B switch to cable and at least have some TV till the thunderstorm passes by. The basic cable is only $5.00 a month because of the $10 discount for ISP if there is other service from Charter.

Not sure of the question about the 300 versus 500 dish.

Thanks again

It's not really two focal points after you add the adapter. But the real answer is they don't want to stock and or make Dish300's anymore.

I have this setup for the Des Moines locals (though I'll be glad when Dish finally provides my locals in HD). The only reason we keep basic cable is because we use them as our ISP - very fast - and basic cable is only a few $ more than the cable modem. For a couple bucks we get backup redundancy.

If Moto's dvr's are more user friendly it's only because they have no functionality to make it difficult to run. You will love the 722 after your learn all the features.

As a former Moxi user I could not agree more!

Dumb Question: Whats the "SIRIUS antenna" for?

I know that if you subscribe to the Americas Top 200 or higher package you get the SIRIUS audio channels included but, do you need that additional antenna thing? (i'm guessing it is the little dome below your dish 500)

I thought those channels came though the dish network satellites?

For example, Directv mirrors the XM channels thourgh there regular satellites so there is no need for an additional thing to pick up the XM channels.

Am I correct? I don't understand?

-Scott

I know that if you subscribe to the Americas Top 200 or higher package you get the SIRIUS audio channels included but, do you need that additional antenna thing? (i'm guessing it is the little dome below your dish 500)

For example, Directv mirrors the XM channels thourgh there regular satellites so there is no need for an additional thing to pick up the XM channels.

-Scott

It's for listening to Bubba on 101. ;)

Not all of the Sirius channels are on Dish Network.

-Scott

My wife likes Howard Stern. When we were with Charter Cable we had him on TV too. I guess DishTV doesn't.

My wife likes Howard Stern. When we were with Charter Cable we had him on TV too. I guess DishTV doesn't.

So E* only caryes SOME of the SIRIUS music channels and to get ALL of them you need that extra antenna?

What are the channels E* does NOT carry?

If I upgraded to the AT 200 package that has those channels, does E* give me one of those antennas, or do I have to buy it myself???

I'm so confused?

-Scott

So E* only caryes SOME of the SIRIUS music channels and to get ALL of them you need that extra antenna?

If I upgraded to the AT 200 package that has those channels, does E* give me one of those antennas, or do I have to buy it myself???

I'm so confused?

-Scott

That antenna has nothing to do with DishNetwork service. It's a for a Sirius satellite receiver and subscription. DirecTV doesn't have all of XM channels either.

It's all down to a $$$$ thing, DishNetwork doesn't want to pay the money to carry all the extra channels.

very nice, only thing I would change is the little belkin surge protectors and go with a nice isobar or some type of a nice little apc battery backup for when the power would happen to go out.

I'm so confused?

-Scott

Sorry to confuse you Scott. No Dish doesn't provide the antenna. I got it from the SIRIUS folks. The antenna feed goes to the headend in my basement and then it is diplexed with the TV coax to my wifes scrapbook room. She has a Stiletto SL100 SIRIUS radio and a home dock for it. I can change the wires around and have the SIRIUS signal sent to any room that has TV coax. SIRIUS 14250 CATV Distribution Kit - Shop Sirius

very nice, only thing I would change is the little belkin surge protectors and go with a nice isobar or some type of a nice little apc battery backup for when the power would happen to go out.

Good idea, thanks. I have to work on the grounding too. Not sure how I am going to do that.

Sorry to confuse you Scott. No Dish doesn't provide the antenna. I got it from the SIRIUS folks. The antenna feed goes to the headend in my basement and then it is diplexed with the TV coax to my wifes scrapbook room. She has a Stiletto SL100 SIRIUS radio and a home dock for it. I can change the wires around and have the SIRIUS signal sent to any room that has TV coax. SIRIUS 14250 CATV Distribution Kit - Shop Sirius

Thanks, Now I understand!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)