new installation

Status
Please reply by conversation.

briansanders007

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Nov 24, 2003
Just wanted to make sure I'm on the right track.

Tonight I plan to mount my pole in the ground so by this weekend I can assmble my 36" dish and motor.

I got my true South satellite IA-5. So once I assemble the dish and motor than I aim the dish twords this satellite. Since I have a motorized dish I won't have to tilt the lnb? only for peaking later on?

than once I lock on to the true south, I should be able to run a blind scan? that's about it? assuming I lock on to IA5.

How far is the clark belt in the sky? Is it all the way form east to west? just wondered as I might have a tree in the way if it's all the way twords the western sky.

I got my true South satellite IA-5. So once I assemble the dish and motor than I aim the dish twords this satellite.
If IA5 is your true south, then yes you aim for this.

Since I have a motorized dish I won't have to tilt the lnb? only for peaking later on?
Mototorized dishes do not need to be skewed (tilt). The motor does that

than once I lock on to the true south, I should be able to run a blind scan? that's about it? assuming I lock on to IA5.
Pretty much

How far is the clark belt in the sky? Is it all the way form east to west? just wondered as I might have a tree in the way if it's all the way twords the western sky.
Yes. The Clarke Belt goes all the way around the world and it is only limited by your line of sight (and the beam in which the satellite sends the signal). As an example, I can get from Hispasat 1 at 30 degrees west to Echo 1 & 2 at 148 west. I can’t really go any farther because of motor limitations. But someone in, say Florida may be able to get down to 15W but can only get over to 129W due to line of sight.

Thanks ICE, that makes sense. I guess I get what I get. ;)

Iceberg said:
If IA5 is your true south, then yes you aim for this.

Mototorized dishes do not need to be skewed (tilt). The motor does that

Pretty much

Yes. The Clarke Belt goes all the way around the world and it is only limited by your line of sight (and the beam in which the satellite sends the signal). As an example, I can get from Hispasat 1 at 30 degrees west to Echo 1 & 2 at 148 west. I can’t really go any farther because of motor limitations. But someone in, say Florida may be able to get down to 15W but can only get over to 129W due to line of sight.

I just got all my stuff. dug and laid the pole yesterday and let it cure over night. today I got my dish and took most of the night to set up the motor on the pole and assemble the dish. I think I got everything setup. I haven't tried aiming yet but a couple things I noticied which could really impact getting a signal. I have the fortec 90U dish and instead of a normal pole mount it has u bold brackets that mount on to the motorized pole that slips into the motor. Is there a trick at getting anything level at this point? my pole is level and I made sure the motor was level. I than mounted the dish to the motor arm and than bolted it to the motor. looks good but just thought I would check if there are any tips. Also when adjusting the tilt on the dish, is the angle indicator at the top of the metal bar by the top screw? I couldn't tell exactly were it's at.

help!

ok I got my dish up and have it wired to a sat finder. I position the dish and I can get a signal on the meter but there's nothing on my fortec lifetime na reciever. it doesn't show any signal. what settings should I use in the lnb setting? I have a fortec FSKU-V. Should I use single S setting or UNI for lnb type? I put my long and lat in.

fortec lifetime na reciever
90U 36" Fortec Dish
Zip 68504
70ft cable run, RG6

briansanders007 said:
ok I got my dish up and have it wired to a sat finder. I position the dish and I can get a signal on the meter but there's nothing on my fortec lifetime na reciever. it doesn't show any signal. what settings should I use in the lnb setting? I have a fortec FSKU-V. Should I use single S setting or UNI for lnb type? I put my long and lat in.

fortec lifetime na reciever
90U 36" Fortec Dish
Zip 68504
70ft cable run, RG6

This LNB?

http://sadoun.com/Sat/Products/Fortec-Star/LNBF/FSKU-v04-Fortec-Star-Universal-LNBF.htm

That's a universal LNB not a standard LNB. You can make it run as a standard by setting the LNB as Standard with 22khz ON and the L.O. of 10600. When you think you are close to a sat hit the blind scan option. This will search for signals.

yep thats my lnb. my sat meter is screaming like I hit a bird but the signal meter on the reciever shows 0. I have my motor bypassed so I hooked up the lnb to the sat finder than the sat finder to the reciever.

briansanders007 said:
yep thats my lnb. my sat meter is screaming like I hit a bird but the signal meter on the reciever shows 0. I have my motor bypassed so I hooked up the lnb to the sat finder than the sat finder to the reciever.

Are you blind scanning? Don't worry about the signal meter, it's the quality you are looking for. You'll have to pointing at the correct sat, have the correct FREQ and SR to see quality, so just use blindscan when you think you are close.

BTW... the signal meter doesn't help much. It kept getting me on the E* and D* birds.

maybe that's my problem. should I ditch the signal meter and bring the tv out and watch the signal on the fortec reciever screen? you think if I have all my settings it wouldn't be hard to just swing the dish around until I get a signal (slowly of course so it picks up). I can't really do a blind scan until the reciever shows a lock on IA5 though..right? which it hasn't

I used the meter to setup my system and it helped. You just want to make sure you adjust the meter, make sure the knob isn't all the way to the right or it will scream like hell :D .

just dont understand it... meter screams and nothing on IA5. is the dish elevation setting on a fortec 36 inch in front or in back of the screw on the bottom with the indicators?

Forget the meter and use the signal quality meter on the receiver only!

First enter a LIVE TP. from the satellite you are looking for, BLIND SCAN can also be used as a tool to find the satellite.

maybe I'm not using a live transponder. do you know a transponder for IA 5? a friend has a birddog meter you think that would work?

Freq. 12177
S/R 23000
Pol. V

A Birdog will also work if it has IA-5 loaded, remember a Birdog or any positive ID satellite meter is just a small receiver with a LIVE TP. entered!

A receiver and TV will do the EXACT same job :)

It's not really going to lock on IA5. It will show quality on a live TP if you have the settings right. If you think you are on a sat, just blind scan it, you'll find out where you are at in the sky. Delete the channels, move the dish, and blind scan again. Repeat until you get where you want.

GOT IT!!! It's 11:45 in complete darkness and I got it. actually what's really wierd...if someone can explain this... I messed with it all day long and nothing. gave up for dinner and than I was sitting here reading the forums and getting sad again that it wasnt working so I go outside, hook up my gear again (no adjustments) go in and turn the rx back on and before I go outside to check it has a lock of 60!!! talk about luck. now I'm scanning and hooked the motor up.

Glad you got it! I am going to attempt agai this am. When I think I am on one (will be a guess) I will blind scan and see what happens. I bet that is a good feeling you have :)

It's a great feeling!! but it seems like I hit it with more luck than skill. ;) since it just started working. I highly think you should blindscan once your sat meter peeks out when your in the area of the sat. I was on a sat and it didn't even show a signal because the transponder wasn't active that I was on and than the blindscan worked. You should get a motorized dish because once you get one you can get pretty much all of them. it was nice to be able to scan a couple sats.

hang in there! it's more luck than skill. I tried at night and had better luck because it was a clear sky.

iafirebuff said:
Glad you got it! I am going to attempt agai this am. When I think I am on one (will be a guess) I will blind scan and see what happens. I bet that is a good feeling you have :)

briansanders007 said:
GOT IT!!! It's 11:45 in complete darkness and I got it. actually what's really wierd...if someone can explain this... I messed with it all day long and nothing. gave up for dinner and than I was sitting here reading the forums and getting sad again that it wasnt working so I go outside, hook up my gear again (no adjustments) go in and turn the rx back on and before I go outside to check it has a lock of 60!!! talk about luck. now I'm scanning and hooked the motor up.
Could be, in all your adjustments up until 11:45, in your impatience, you never allowed the receiver time to lock. The signal is in no way immediate. You probably had it several times and move the dish before it locked signal. In your frustration, you grabbed a bite to eat, sat there in morning, dreading to get started again on an impossible task, and yet knowing it's there, got to try one more time. And by sheer luck, you had the dish where it needed to be. It sat there long enough to get that much needed lock. It's a miracle! Congratulations...

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)