New Manhattan RS-1933 info

Status
Please reply by conversation.
What about the Azbox? Can't it do everything this receiver claims to do, PLUS 4:2:2?

a decent (and faster) blind scan would be nice. I dont have blind scan on my azbox (elite) but the newer ones do and from what I've read its not the fastest out there

Looks interesting except for the lack of 4:2:2. Has a price point been set yet and what would be the advantage over something like an openbox?

its $200 which unless there is something that REALLY makes it stand out...its too much IMO
They claim it can do manual PID entry which is nice but not that nice to be at least 70-80 bucks more than what S9/S10 are going for

Does the Openbox or AzBox do AAC audio decoding? That is one of the biggest features I want. I'm a radio nut.. I spend more time listening to radio than I do watching TV. There's lots of AAC on C-Band I want to tune in to.

its $200 which unless there is something that REALLY makes it stand out...its too much IMO
They claim it can do manual PID entry which is nice but not that nice to be at least 70-80 bucks more than what S9/S10 are going for

Like Brian at SatAV, I expect the price to come down within a month or so. My big hope is that it actually DOES what is advertised ( and that the remote control doesn't conflict with my Solomend 800) . I paid $200 for the Solomend, essentially, and a lot more in the last 5 years for receivers that aren't as useful . It's too bad that we let the Openbox price point be the determining factor in our decisions. I doubt anyone will come out with a "killer" North American stb , if basically they're measured by the $100 price range. I'm willing to pay for better stuff, if someone will build it ! :)

I too would be willing to pay more than an openbox for a well featured and stable HD box for NA. Looking forward to hearing the reviews. As much as I like my Azbox, its not without issues so I'd always consider switching if there was something better.

This receiver has the same features and is cheaper:

X403P HD BETTER THAN OPENBOX S10 MORE FEATURES | eBay
The real issue is not the "features" but the implementation. There are several "features" of the Azbox and Openbox that don't work , or don't work well enough to brag about them. Just about anything looks good in print, but does the product you buy actually deliver on the promise ? That's been the big disappointment we face, and that's what I'd like to see changed.
:)

All four of these receivers in the discussion need support.
None of 'em were 100% when they first hit the market.
None of them are 100% a year later. :)

What's the point?
Give the Manhattan a few months (maybe six) to get the bugs out.
See what the support is like.
If support is good, it'll be a winner at a price point between SSO and AZbox.
But if it doesn't outperform a (limping) SSO, then price will make it or break it.

I look forward to proper reviews by our early adopters.
Maybe ya should consider working together on a review, if you don't want to do one on your own.
The more evaluation data and points of view we have, the better for everyone. - :up

Oh Green One ! :)
I know you remember the way that Brian of SatAV worked with us to get the obvious flaws out of the Visionsat IV-200. The problems were addressed, one by one, until at the end, it was a quite competent receiver and PVR. Hopefully, we'll see a similar mechanism on the Manhattan box. Then , it will be the best it can be , which will serve my purpose just fine. :)

This receiver has the same features and is cheaper:

OSSCAM-NASSAM
Specification:
- One slot for Smart Card in Conax system
- One Slot for Common Interface Module
- Support of SD/HD(MPEG2/MPEG4 H.264),DVB-S,DVB-S2 system
- High resolution video output-HDMI
- Standard resolution video output-SCART,RCA
- Supported video resolutions-576p,720p,1080i
Need 480i for older tv's. OpenBox YES, Manhattan YES
- Front panel display-LED 4 digit
- Digital audio output S/PDIF-coaxial
- Analog audio output-RCA stereo
- Software update by USB,RS-232C
- 12V out for connecting external devices
Could be useful. OpenBox NO, Manhattan NO
- Lan connector (Ethernet)
- USB connector compliant with USB 2.0 standard
- Low power consumption in Stand-by mode,below 1W
- Automatic Stand-By mode after 3 hours from last using receiver for power saving
Could be a nuisance if you can't disable it. OpenBox NO, Manhattan NO
- Compatible with Diseqc 1.0,1.1,1.2 and USALS
- Electronic Program Guide-EPG
- Multilngual Menu, including English
- Time Shift (video pausing,rewinding)
- PVR Ready-possibility to record on external USB drive
- Recording one channel and watch another FTA channel within a single transponder
- Blind Scan supported
- Parental Lock for channels and Menu
- Possiility to save up to 5000 channels(TV and Radio)
OpenBox 5000, Manhattan 7000
- Fast channels switching
- Possibility of creating own channels lists
- Possibility of creating Favourite Lists
- Sort/Group/Channels search options
- Channel Editing features-Remove,Lock,Skip,Move,Rename
- Subtitle support-Teletext and DVB
- Teletext support
- Tool to convert files for playback on your computer
New software for OpenBox and Manhattan no need for conversion tool.
- Build-in Dolby Digital decoder(downmix to stereo)
- Colour-black
- OPTICUM USB HDD supported
- Channels Editor
- Support connection to an external FTP server (FTP client)

Main processor
- Type: ALI 3602
- Speed: 396 MHz
OpenBox 300, Manhattan ?
Memory
- FLASH size: 4 MBytes
OpenBox 2Meg, Manhattan 4 Meg.
- SDRAM size: 128 MBytes
OpenBox 64Meg, Manhattan ?

Tuner & Channel Decoder (Satellite)
- Input connector
- Type: F-Type
- Standard: IEC 169-24

Loop through out
- Type: F-Type
- Standard: IEC 169-24
- Frequency Range from 950MHz to 2150MHz
- Input impedance Value: 75 ?,Type: unbalanced
- Signal level from -65 dBm to -25 dBm
- LNB Power 13-18VDC Max. current: 500 mA
- Overload Protection
22kHz Tone
- Frequency: 22 kHz±1 kHz
- Amplitude: 0,6±0.2 V
DiSEqC Control: Version 1.0;Version 1.1;Version 1.2;USALS
Demodulation: 8PSK,QPSK
- Input Symbol Rate DVB-S from 2 Ms/s to 45 Ms/s
- Input Symbol Rate DVB-S2 QPSK from 10 Ms/s to 30 Ms/s
- Input Symbol Rate DVB-S2 8PSK from 10 Ms/s to 30 Ms/s
- FEC Decoder DVB-S: 1/2; 2/3;3/4;5/6;7/8;AUTO
- FEC Decoder DVB-S2 (QPSK): 1/2;2/3;3/4;3/5;4/5;5/6;8/9;9/10;AUTO
- FEC Decoder DVB-S2 (8PSK): 2/3;3/4;3/5;5/6;8/9;9/10;AUTO

MPEG Transport Stream A/V Decoding
- Transport Stream
- MPEG-2 ISO/IEC 13818-1&MPEG-4 ISO/IEC 14496-1
- MPEG Profile level:MPEG-2 MP@ML&MPEG-2 MP@HL;MPEG-4 AVC/H.264 HP@L4
- Aspect Ratio: 4:3 Letter Box,4:3 Pan Scan,16:9
- Video Resolution: 720*576[PAL],720*480[NTSC],1920*1080i
- Audio Decoding: MPEG/MusiCam Layer 1;MPEG/MusiCam Layer 2;Dolby AC-3
- Audio ModeStereo: Join Stereo,Mono
- Sampling Rate: 32 kHz;44,1 kHz;48 kHz

Other than the 12v. output, I don't see more and better features.

Pixl

I'm seriously considering this Manhattan. The Openbox/Sathawk thing scares me just with all the wierd stuff I've read about it here. Between oddball screen tints and firmware updates, that all seem worse than the last version, they can keep that POS! :eek: I'd rather pay more for a better product.

I am still planning on getting a Manhattan receiver, and I'll do my best to do an "Iceberg" style review of it.

I have a 7.5ft C-Band dish. I'm curious to see how well the Manhattan works on the DVB-S2 signals. The Coolsat 8100 I've got is just borderline on those signals on such a 'small' dish :)

according to a beta tester there is a possibility of 4.2.2

That my friend is how rumors get started.... Unless a manufacturer advertises it, a receiver don't do it. People talking about what someone else said, or what a friend of a friend of my third removed cousin said, only leads people to expect things that are not actually gonna happen and furthermore dissapoints people in this hobby. Have a great day!

My number one rule to buying any STB is this...

Buy it for what it'll do today, because that's probably all it will ever do.

I've been down the road of promised "future features" before. While a few of them have come true in the past... the vast majority of them didn't. If your expectations are covered by what it already does, you'll never be disappointed.

I don't know why it's that way. And it doesn't seem to matter what brand, make or model. That just seems to be how it is with fta receivers (and pci-dvb cards).

Cheers

a decent (and faster) blind scan would be nice.
I have anticipation for the Manhattan for what I hope is a complete blind scan for DVB-S2 signals. I'm tired of doing the old fashioned way to get SR for new DVB-S2 signals I find. ;) Then again, I am expecting the worst more than the best based on reports of past receivers. For example, I think it was when the Traxis-3500 came out that everyone was ga-ga'ing over its blind scan capability for DVB-S signals. I found it missed quite a few DVB-S signals - especially less than 2000 SR - so it's just an (ehhh..) from me.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)