New OTA adapter

More SCOOP! Been reading over on the other site. One who reportedly purchased one checked his order and has an AM21 coming. ????? So beng curious, I dug out my long worthless AM21n and lo and behold, it has my Big 4 plus, PBS, and several *-* ones. And, the Guide works too. I also read the new gizmo is an AM-22P. Maybe the "P" stands for petite. Other than my 21n being big and clunky, I don't need no stink'n paste on antenna and dongle. But, if is free, I'll take one.

The other site discussion is interesting:

AT&T To Launch Full DTV Using The Internet This Fall

The AM22 was sold in Mexico I believe (or maybe Puerto Rico?) Directv started sending people AM22s once their stock of AM21s ran out. They are identical internally. The new thing is NOT an AM22 - that's still the big ugly pizza box just like the AM21. The P/N thing (there are AM21N/AM21P and for AM22 also) has to do with the power cord.

Directv started updating certain markets with all their subchannels - they started in LA, Dallas, Vegas and Salt Lake City (LA being Directv HQ and Dallas being AT&T HQ, these markets were likely where testing was done by employees) They did a handful of markets beyond those but haven't done any more in a month or so. Presumably the plan is to update them all, so this new 'LCC' will be better supported (and generate fewer complaints/questions to CSRs about missing channels) But that's just a guess based on what Directv started to do, who knows how quickly they'll finish or whether they'll lose interest halfway through.

Glad I sold my AM21s while they were still worth a lot! :)

The AM22 was sold in Mexico I believe (or maybe Puerto Rico?) Directv started sending people AM22s once their stock of AM21s ran out. They are identical internally. The new thing is NOT an AM22 - that's still the big ugly pizza box just like the AM21. The P/N thing (there are AM21N/AM21P and for AM22 also) has to do with the power cord.

Directv started updating certain markets with all their subchannels - they started in LA, Dallas, Vegas and Salt Lake City (LA being Directv HQ and Dallas being AT&T HQ, these markets were likely where testing was done by employees) They did a handful of markets beyond those but haven't done any more in a month or so. Presumably the plan is to update them all, so this new 'LCC' will be better supported (and generate fewer complaints/questions to CSRs about missing channels) But that's just a guess based on what Directv started to do, who knows how quickly they'll finish or whether they'll lose interest halfway through.

Glad I sold my AM21s while they were still worth a lot! :)
I'm still using my AM 21, working well, i have 4.
How do you go about getting the new device ?

As I posted earlier, a helpful CSR in tech support made some calls and said it is being rolled out to a pilot market in Las Vegas.
Same as I found out ....

Tried Loyalty Dept. first, which couldn't help even if the new LCC was available.

Transferred me to Tech. Support where the rep. there wasn't even aware of it's existence and even after asking other reps. on her end, kept insisting I must mean the AM21 which she said was discontinued of course.

Then after repeatedly telling her I understand this and very politely continued to press her to simply go to "directv.com/lcc" or otherwise do a search on the "Local Channel Connector" or "LCC."

Much to her shock she finally found it, only to tell me it was still in pilot for the Las Vegas market. And only available to subscribers there.

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

Reactions: whitewolf8214
These hardware dongles have been out for a long time, so most of this pilot is likely around DirecTV tweaking software and making sure it works. They've started improving the sub channel database after several years of letting it go by the wayside. HS17 is not supported, but that likely could change with software development. It's good to see a return to supporting OTA, as there will be markets that are unserved or underserved, disputes will happen, desire for sub channels, all sorts of reasons.

I doubt they will go the route of Dish and make locals optional, that doesn't seem like a DirecTV kind of strategy, but who knows long term.

Reactions: Claude Greiner
If the channel database is being updated, will that allow me to tune in several sub-channels in my area that aren't currently available?
And if so, will my AM21 get them?

As for making sure the software works, good luck with that!!

does the lcc require the database? or will it scan?

with the repack they will need alot of updates, scanning would be simpler

If the channel database is being updated, will that allow me to tune in several sub-channels in my area that aren't currently available?
And if so, will my AM21 get them?

As for making sure the software works, good luck with that!!
I've done extensive work with my AM21's. One on an HR24 and one on an HR44. Since the channel update (additions to the D* OTA database in May-July) my AM21's on both DVR's have obtained the added channels. So it seems to me the AM21 will do everything the new LCC will do. I just hope they update the database for ALL DMA's. In fact after the update to the database, a few channels were dropped and both my AM21's dropped the channels. So the AM21 will be as functional as the LCC from what I've experienced so far. So YES you will be able to tune channels if they are added to the database and you have an antenna that receives them.

does the lcc require the database? or will it scan?

with the repack they will need alot of updates, scanning would be simpler
While no can say for sure until they get their hands on one of course.

My guess would be the LCC's functionality is identical to the AM21, even down to its inability to work on the HS17.

The only difference is physical with the LCC a small compact USB dongle connected to the rear of the receiver. With the AM21 a small circuit board mounted in the middle of a large thin boxy cabinet of mostly empty space.

To match the dimensions of the old HR21HD-DVR at the time so it may be conveniently and aesthetically placed on top or below it.

Anybody gutted the AM21 and refitted it to a smaller box?

Sent from my XT1575 using the SatelliteGuys app!
While I can't speak for what someone may have done in the past when the AM21s were plentiful and even given away by DIRECTV to subs. many times for free, especially during local channel blackouts due to contract disputes.

For me personally, I certainly wouldn't try to mess with a working AM21 today, what with their high price-gouging price. They're worth their weight in gold.

(Have four working AM21s here).

Now once the new LCC goes into mass distribution and the bottom falls out of the market for the AM21s, perhaps I'd be willing to experiment with them then. But not right now. :)

Reactions: whitewolf8214
And what good does that do? It's a box that sits on a shelf.
I would say it's a lot about aesthetics too ...

Such as the absurd look of connecting an H25 receiver or H44 Genie Lite to the AM21.

And of course you can't reasonably mount an H25 out of sight behind a wall mounted TV with an AM21 attached to it.

But with the new LCC dongle coming soon the whole point of doing this is really moot now.

Not to mention you'd be crazy to mess experimenting with an AM21 right now unless you don't care about risking a $100.00 or so in value device.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)

Latest posts