New OTA adapter

Yes ...

But the problem for some markets like in LA here is that a number of the new channel entries into the database, while they were fine initially, have inexplicably lost all guide info. for the program descriptions. And have been simply showing nondescript continuous time blocks of "Regular Schedule" as though they were LP stations detected off-air outside the database. Except they're in the database of course, but no longer have guide info. for the programam descriptions as I said.

Was hoping DIRECTV engineering would realize this problem and correct it without me having to call in and deal with the undoubtedly clueless CSRs regarding anything OTA related. But apparently not, as it's been this way for almost a month now.

So I guess it's take a couple of Excedrin and pick up the phone.

Oh, how I dread it ...

Sent from my LG-H932 using Tapatalk

How long do they usually test stuff like this? Seems like its been in test for a while now. It either works or it doesn’t, no?

The hardware either works or not, sure. The software is another story. Any issues would require pushing firmware updates to the testers, then waiting for their feedback to determine what needs to fixed, etc. so it could easily take months. Maybe they learned a lesson from pushing that crappy GUI out too soon and want to make sure the LCC is pretty solid before release.

They said should be available in my area within next month I was thinking more like 6 months knowing them :biggrin:coco

Friend got this hand out at the store. They are in a Pilot market.
I also see in the uplink they added more cities where they have ALL Guide data for OTA and I do mean all, every channel. I really need Guide data for COMET TV KPTM 42.3 so I can record all my old Sci Fi space shows.

Please big blue round globe, if your listening add guide data for the Omaha and Lincoln NE DMAs
Here is the Flyer (attached)

Attachments

• Local OTA Option.png
    Local OTA Option.png
    153.7 KB · Views: 448
Reactions: whitewolf8214
What market is your friend in? I believe I read this was being tested in Vegas, and some were being shipped in the Salt Lake City area but I think that was due to a carriage dispute. It's definitely been a slow rollout but if they market this right and give people the choice it could be meaningful.

Dish gives people the option to save $12 without locals, but they don't advertise it. I could see this turning up price competition a bit, which is way past due in TV. Streaming finally making a dent and these companies are evaluating their options to reduce costs / prices.

You hear about Cord Cutting all the time, no SAT or Cable, but what about Hybrid Cutters.

One could not use SAT or Cable for the 30 or 60 locals you get with a OTA USB tuner, save $10 or $12 and call them a Hybrid Cutter?
Just trying to coin a new phrase for 2019 with these new OTA uplinks and this new tuner.
Wish it would come out to the public now and also for the HS17

So after reading this thread, I reconnected my AM21 over the holidays, went through the initial set up just fine, added the OTA channels to the guide, but when I try to tune in to those channels I get a black screen and the message "Tuner Removed." Anybody else had this happen?

I flipped the tuners (double play) as well on two OTA channels just to make sure I just didn't have one bad tuner. Both give me the same message. It doesn't render the other DirecTV channels moot because I can tune those in just fine, but when I go back to an OTA channel the "Tuner Removed" message pops back up.

I called customer retention a few times, purporting that this must be a similar tactic that they used to kill my GenieGo a few years ago and that they could fix my concerns by mailing me an LCC. Got a wide variety of responses with the same result: "I can see that accessory in the system, but can't order it for you for some reason." :(

The last person I spoke with confirmed that it's only available in the two test markets mentioned in this thread. Hopefully, the new year will bring a wider availability.

Friend got this hand out at the store. They are in a Pilot market.
I also see in the uplink they added more cities where they have ALL Guide data for OTA and I do mean all, every channel. I really need Guide data for COMET TV KPTM 42.3 so I can record all my old Sci Fi space shows.

Please big blue round globe, if your listening add guide data for the Omaha and Lincoln NE DMAs
Here is the Flyer (attached)

What is the link for the uplink info you’re referring to?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Uplink is on an other site, just google search for cutting edge and directv. Not sure if I can post the link here.

You have to sign up for the site and "let them" let you into the site. Once you do, go to the AT&T/Directv Resources Forum, under there you'll see the latest Transponder Map - Domestic, Mexico, Latin. It is an Excel file. All the latest OTA info is in the OTA tab at the bottom.

You have to sign up for the site and "let them" let you into the site. Once you do, go to the AT&T/Directv Resources Forum, under there you'll see the latest Transponder Map - Domestic, Mexico, Latin. It is an Excel file. All the latest OTA info is in the OTA tab at the bottom.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Things to read till it is released
No one knows for sure, but looks like they are getting all the Official Support pages ready, could be weeks, Months or Summer, who knows.
They still need to upload all the OTA guide data, looks like they do a few every week or so.

What is it page
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/directv/KM1268158/faq/what-is-local-channel-connector

Official Support
DTV local channel connector

Official Support Page
Local Channel Connector

Setup Page on ATT
https://www.att.com/esupport/articl...8/faq/how-do-i-set-up-local-channel-connector

Things to read till it is released
No one knows for sure, but looks like they are getting all the Official Support pages ready, could be weeks, Months or Summer, who knows.
They still need to upload all the OTA guide data, looks like they do a few every week or so.

What is it page
https://www.att.com/esupport/article.html#!/directv/KM1268158/faq/what-is-local-channel-connector

Official Support
DTV local channel connector

Official Support Page
Local Channel Connector

Setup Page on ATT
https://www.att.com/esupport/articl...8/faq/how-do-i-set-up-local-channel-connector
I believe these are the same ones that have been up for several months now.

Took another shot over the weekend to call into the retention department about getting a LCC. This was my third attempt, but just recently one of my locals (CW) got dropped and the screen display on that D* provided local is now the "DirecTVpromise.com" message. Also, reminded them that my AM21 died over a year ago.

Bottom line, the answer was still no because it's not available to me yet. They didn't know when it was going to be released and couldn't explain why the local got dropped.

I'll be glad when this thing becomes nationally available.

Took another shot over the weekend to call into the retention department about getting a LCC. This was my third attempt, but just recently one of my locals (CW) got dropped and the screen display on that D* provided local is now the "DirecTVpromise.com" message. Also, reminded them that my AM21 died over a year ago.

Bottom line, the answer was still no because it's not available to me yet. They didn't know when it was going to be released and couldn't explain why the local got dropped.

I'll be glad when this thing becomes nationally available.
Well that's not right ...

If your local CW or any other network is out due to a local channel dispute, you should be eligible for the new LCC.

Call the "Loyalty Dept" (formally "Retention") again and insist on speaking to a Supervisor if the CSR there continues to deny it to you.

A third-party reseller on the dbstalk forum in a thread on this issue ("finally") got the Loyalty Dept. to send him some 5 LCCs for his customers since the local FOX affiliate is out due to a dispute in his local market.

Sent from my LM-V405 using Tapatalk

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 5)