New portable Sirius?

Beagle

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 5, 2005
Heard mention about a new 'portable' Sirius unit that will be launched in June.

I assume when they say 'portable' they're meaning that you can get satellite reception wile moving around:confused:

anyway .... anyone have an idea what this new model will be? perhaps a new version of the S50?

I'd like to take a sneak peek at what it will look like:D

They already have portable units they are made by Ford and Chrysler :D

Seriously though I have not heard anything concrete about it. Everyone has different info and claims to be in the know. The little bits I have heard have been vague and conflicting of one another the info I have heard is you could see either a unit like the s50 but with an additional addon to make it a live portable, Addons to make the new sportster and future Sirius receivers live portables kind of like XM had with the Roady a while back, or you could see an actually live portable like the Myfi or new Inno however I have heard a new portable wouldn't come out till Sirius improved their repeater network. Which once again I have also heard conflicting info that either it will be done being built out in the summer or they are just beginning to plan for new repeaters.

So who the hell knows, I doubt Sirius even knows.

And I'm sure my post help clear it up :)

Thanks for the info.

I had heard on Howard 100 news that this portable radio was coming soon, hopefully as more 'scoop' on the unit becomes available someone will post it here.

If we only knew who the manufacturer will be (Directed?) then i would definately call them to see if I got a 'talkative' csr to spill the beans :D

Lookie what I found:)
zinger-778063.jpg

That is a very odd device. From the articles I read the only way to get "on the go live service" when not docked is from a wifi hotspot. What the heck is that crap.

If thats true why bother.

edit:

ok I found another article from forbes that clears it up a little

"From what is known about the new platform, Jacoby said the device's storage capacity will likely be comparable to Sirius competitor XM Satellite Radio (nasdaq: XMSR - news - people )'s "Inno" and "Helix" portable units, but the battery life and true satellite coverage will probably be worse.

Where satellite coverage is weak, however, Sirius (nasdaq: SIRI - news - people ) programming can be streamed over Wi-Fi on the device, which Jacoby said was an interesting "fix.""

Now while the wifi thing is interesting I dont see how it really suplements the weak sat coverage. If you have wifi in your house it would be great but other then that I cant think of anything else.

of course then this article says it cant get live programming unless docked :confused: http://www.dlmag.com/1782/new-sirius-pmp-will-be-wi-fi.html

Last edited:
If you're listening to a music channel and near a wi-fi spot, you're fine, but if you're listening to a channel that isn't online, you're SOL...

Play that price is right clip again...

Purogamer said:
If you're listening to a music channel and near a wi-fi spot, you're fine, but if you're listening to a channel that isn't online, you're SOL...

Play that price is right clip again...

I think this will be independent of their online offering so all channels will be offered. However the issue is if it doesn't receive live signal like an inno then as soon as you walk away from the hotspot your SOL

So does that mean I could use it at any hotspot in the world? I can pick up WiFi on the beach in Aruba.

The Zing ISN'T their only portable. The Zing doesn't come out until this fall/winter.

They still have the Stiletto which is their portable that will pick up real time signals from the satellites. It should be out in July.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts