New Product: Titanium Satellite ASC1 - Actuator Motor and Polarization Skew Controller

Status
Please reply by conversation.
updatelee said:
Just looking at appearances this is one very professional looking unit that would look outstanding in any hobbiests setup.

Hope that rs232 port is for controlling the device, could we get a datasheet for commands ? Id be happy to write a simple linux gui app for controlling it. Ive already done so for my arduino mover (which still doesnt have diseqc or 22khz or voltage switching)

UDL

Hi, rs232 is just for upload and download no control:)

The ASC1 controller is a dramatic departure from the currently available consumer controllers and offers so many more options and features. It has the potential for much more.

We will offer frequent firmware updates with new features and regional satellite lists. Owners will be able to use the loader/editor software to personalize, edit, add, delete, name, save then even share satellite files. No more having a paper list taped to the TV to translate a dinosaur satellite name or positioner count!

Updatelee,

What function(s) are you looking to add to the controller using an external control app that isn't already supported by the internal programming?

Are you just wanting to write function specific commands for a PCI card to directly control positioning and polorotor control without using the ASC1 programming and memory? If this is the case, what is the advantage over less expensive interface components or commercial rack mount units?

I am curious as I am developing and considering the release another more advanced (and expensive) commercial rack mount model. This model would add PC interface and optional dual axis motor control that is often found in engineering control rooms and head-ends.

Maybe Im the only one lol but Ive got 8 dvb satellite tuners. I currently control my actuator with an Arduino via serial. I have thought many times of making a diseqc interface for it as well but then only one card can control the dish, and no matter what tuner Im using I would have to switch to the diseqc tuner and move the dish then switch back to the tuner Im using. Right now I can use whatever tuner I want and just move the dish with a serial app. No switching back and forth.

First world problems eh? lol

If you could control your actuator the same way, via diseqc or serial, it gives users options. Maybe no one else needs that option though lol. I tend to be an anomaly most of the time :)

UDL

I have read and retread your post and don't completely understand what you wish to add with an external computer controlling the ASC1.

Commercial facilities use a centralized controller to trigger multiple events to establish paths or timed dish positioning. This is what the more advanced model would provide.

Since the ASC1 has 99 memory positions and controls both a motor positioner and polarity/Skew offset control with either with front panel or remote control direct access (in addition to the mode where the STB issues DiSEqC 1.2 commands), what additional function would the serial external controller app provide? Trigger? Timer? Or ???

Last edited:
lets say for example

tuner 1 = TBS 6925 using diseqc to control the ASC1
tuner 2 = Skywalker-1

now Im scanning 107w looking for DGII with my skywalker, and want to try 111w, I have to go back to the TBS, tell it to move the motor, then once its done (diseqc doesnt tell you when its done) so Im guessing, then go back to the skywalker and tune DGII.

I have 8 DVB tuners so it gets even more complicated in real life lol.

with serial control

Im looking on 107w with the skywalker, I want to move to 111w so I tell the motor to move to 111w and it notifies me when its arrived, then scan again. because its a separate app I can move the dish independently of what tuner Im using.

UDL

Understood. Sorry...

So you are wanting a remote application to control motor and polarity setting by the ASC1 via serial command. This control method is supported by several existing commercial single axis motor controller products that range from $1,500.00 - $2,500.00 US. :eek:

Depending on the success of the ASC1, Titanium may introduce a commercial version that would include external serial control interface and optional module for dual axis motor control (adjusts elevation on inclined satellites) and an option for a receiver module to provide automatic dish positioning peaking and automatic polarity/skew setting/peaking. With that tease, I am sure that this question would be asked: Yes, the receiver option could also be used for viewing, but the primarily function would be a controller. :D

whoa there's way easier ways of controlling an actuator as it doesnt need diseqc. even decoding diseqc is pretty simple stuff, just as the reasons I mentioned I havent needed to because it would actually make things more complicated to use then simpler. serial is so simple and easy.

UDL

The ASC1's MSRP of $195 is about 1/3rd of the cost of a dish mover in the 1980's. The ASC1 will interface with almost any digital satellite receiver to automatically control the dish movement and polarity setting.
Thanks blew right by that. duh

paid about $1000 for my Drake made in USA 1824 and $800 for the 1624. could have saved <$500 by buying jap receivers but thought American jobs were important. :)

Thanks blew right by that. duh

paid about $1000 for my Drake made in USA 1824 and $800 for the 1624. could have saved <$500 by buying jap receivers but thought American jobs were important. :)

The Japanese are our allies, though. And their economy is in worse shape than ours.

That's no way to treat a friend.

Back onto subject.... :D

To create an even stronger hobbyist device and to develop the full potential of the ASC1 product, I will provide the RS-232 command datasheet to select parties upon request. Additional commands are possible and we will support requests for additional functions, commands and feature development.

My only requirements for app development are:
1. All development and revisions will be submitted to Titanium Satellite for testing and approval prior to public release.
2. Applications should be submitted in QT Library format to allow compiling for Windows release without revision.
3. Applications will be freely distributed and copies of available for distribution and download via a library hosted by Titanium Satellite.

Let the fun begin!

Interested parties should directly contact me at support (at) titaniumsatellite.com

Does it switch between C/Ku LNBs

Will this unit switch between 2 LNBs (C/Ku)? -----> Answered (sort of) in later post below ~= NO
OR
Do you have to use a DiseqC switch? ------> Answered (sort of) in later post below ~= YES (if you want complete automation)

I long ago gave up on using DiseqC switches due to their signal loss, poor longevity and delicate construction. I use a simple A/B/C direct contact switch and switch manually to change LNBs. I was loosing ~ 3-5 % SQ on marginal signals and was always taking out and putting in the DiseqC switches in order to get many backhauls.

DRCars

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)