New Product: Titanium Satellite ASC1 - Actuator Motor and Polarization Skew Controller

Status
Please reply by conversation.
The ASC1 does not have an internal built-in switch as there is only one input/one output F-fitting. The ASC1 does support both 22KHz and DiSEqC switch command pass-through.

You may continue to use your existing multi-LNBF selection method.

Received, replied and we are now development partners! I look forward to your ideas, input on the ASC1 and looking forward to testing your control app! :D

Thats awesome!!! Its so hard to find development people who enjoy this wonderful world of satellite :)

Looking forward to see what the two of you come up with.

ASC1, Titanium may introduce a commercial version that would include external serial control interface and optional module for dual axis motor control (adjusts elevation on inclined satellites)
very interested I have a montery chaparral 140 with dual axis control. when tuning a sat it auto tunes it looks for signal with the vertical actuator first before going to horizontal actuator . now that there is not much analog signal left it tends to search way too much.

Brian:
optional module for dual axis motor control (adjusts elevation on inclined satellites) I know you were talking about commercial model not yet in production. but could this work with the asc1 as an add on?

Dual axis could be added on a stand alone ASC1 as a function, but would need a larger or secondary transformer, additional electronics and connections. This sidecar approach would cost much more than the dual axis version that I have mentioned.

An suggestion for a simple and expensive hardware solution that I have used a few times throughout the years is to add a second motor controller for an elevation actuator. Assign the same DiSEqC 1.2 position for the second controller and both the elevation and the azimuth tracking will be triggered from the same DiSEqC 1.2 command. Not as sexy as both motors programmed and controlled by the same controller, but it works fine for the occasional inclined orbit satellite or to bump and optimize the dish aiming as the satellite drifts within the box or to attenuate interference.

Dual axis could be added on a stand alone ASC1 as a function, but would need a larger or secondary transformer, additional electronics and connections. This sidecar approach would cost much more than the dual axis version that I have mentioned.

An suggestion for a simple and expensive hardware solution that I have used a few times throughout the years is to add a second motor controller for an elevation actuator. Assign the same DiSEqC 1.2 position for the second controller and both the elevation and the azimuth tracking will be triggered from the same DiSEqC 1.2 command. Not as sexy as both motors programmed and controlled by the same controller, but it works fine for the occasional inclined orbit satellite or to bump and optimize the dish aiming as the satellite drifts within the box or to attenuate interference.

I am like DRcars use a/b switching most switches and DiSEqC 1.2 are signal suckers so i almost always pull out switches to get all the signal direct to the stb. Also with the newer orders of modulations 16 and 32 apsk ect... you want big accurate dish with most DB let alone the lnbs that are not stable. looking forward to checking out the pll cband you folks are going to sell.
my only concern is the 60db gain i prefer 65 ...Also was the 15 degree k measured over the whole band or the best figure in the band? Facebook said available Nov was that 2013 or 2014 ? are there pre orders? when are they going to be for public sales?

Last edited:
looking forward to checking out the pll cband you folks are going to sell. my only concern is the 60db gain i prefer 65 ...Also was the 15 degree k measured over the whole band or the best figure in the band? Facebook said available Nov was that 2013 or 2014 ? are there pre orders? when are they going to be for public sales?

See reply in the C1-PLL thread

ASC1 Update:
The ASC1 will be in our warehouse tomorrow and expecting to start shipping to customers on Monday!

Been busy developing new features based on hobbyist's suggestions! A new firmware file will be released shortly after Christmas. This new firmware version provides a few features including an operation screen that will display all control functions on a single screen. The user will also be provided an option to save directly from the operation screen any positioner or the skew adjustments without entering the ASC1 or STB's menus.

Just posted this overview video of the current ASC1 menus and automatic operation.

Last edited by a moderator:
ASC1 Owners Manual v.1 is available for online viewing or PDF download:
http://titaniumsatellite.com/manuals

asc1_book_icon.jpg

Last edited:
Hello Titanium
I received my new ASC1 yesterday, very impressive, I downloaded the user manual, there is few things included with the download, there is a .bin file in it, is this file already in he asc1? or we have to upload it to the unit? what is it do?.
I am comparing this unit to my other actuator mover the GBOX, when selecting a satellite on the GBOX I can give it a name, I was reading the manual on the ASC1 and did not see if we can name the satellite selected. I am going to be using the ASC1 as stand alone for now.
the remote control looks good, I will try to copy this remote to my logitech harmony remote.
power cord is the right length for my setup.
I like the beast, by the way guys, do not drop the ASC1 on your foot.
Regards.
Chewie

Chewie,

Thanks for the delivery report. Yes... The ASC1 is a lovely beast capable of busting more than a few toes! ;) Any photos to share of it posing on your shelf?

Not sure when you downloaded the ASC1 Loader / Editor or the firmware. This was updated last evening with the latest files.

The ASC1 Satellite naming is done with the PC Editor and can be up to 14 alpha or numeric characters. If you launch the Loader / Editor ASC1 Loader Editor v1.4 - Download .zip (Win XP/7) and open the satellite list ASC1 North American Satellite List 1w-139w v.20131124 - Download .zip (.csv) downloadable from http://titaniumsatellite.com/updates page, you will see how the satellite List is arranged, edited and inputted. If users provide feedback that they would rather input satellite names with the Remote Control we could add this function. I personally detest RCU single character entry methods and would do anything to avoid this character selection navigation nightmare! :eek:

The ASC1 preloaded firmware is currently 20131213. This is the same firmware as available for download ASC1 Firmware Upgrade v20131213 - Download .zip

Important Notice: A new Loader / Editor Software version v1.5 will be released on or before December 24 that will correctly read the positioner counts from the ASC1.
Version 1.4 uploads Firmware / Satellite Lists and also edits Satellite Lists, but there is an error when downloading the Satellite List data from the ASC1. The positioner counts are incorrectly downloaded to the editor and positive positioner counts could appear as negative numbers in the position column and also in a saved file. This event was the result of the firmware now supporting 10,000 (-5000 to +5000) position counts instead of the published 4999.

Hello Brian
thanks for your information., I don't have the ASC1 on the shelf yet, is just sitting here on my desk and getting familiar with the menus.
I wanted to connect the RS-232 cable that came with it, but my computers do not have RS-232 connectors.
So I order a USB to RS-232 adapter.
I would like to connect the ASC1 to automatic control but I don't know how and maybe it is not possible, this is what I have:
C-BAND dish has a orthomode feed wit 2 lnb's 1 for Ver. and 1 for Hor, they connect to a 4 x 8 multiswitch, I have 5 receivers connected to the multiswitch and to one T.V.
If anybody in this forum has any Ideas how to set it up, please let me know.
Regards.
Chewie.

Hello Brian
thanks for your information., I don't have the ASC1 on the shelf yet, is just sitting here on my desk and getting familiar with the menus.
I wanted to connect the RS-232 cable that came with it, but my computers do not have RS-232 connectors.
So I order a USB to RS-232 adapter.
I would like to connect the ASC1 to automatic control but I don't know how and maybe it is not possible, this is what I have:
C-BAND dish has a orthomode feed wit 2 lnb's 1 for Ver. and 1 for Hor, they connect to a 4 x 8 multiswitch, I have 5 receivers connected to the multiswitch and to one T.V.
If anybody in this forum has any Ideas how to set it up, please let me know.
Regards.
Chewie.
Chewie there is so many variables to consider.Do you have a favorite receiver? Are you using any Diseqc switch`s,1 per receiver?..All FTA systems have there own characteristics which makes them unique and fun to set up.You have to think what is your ultimate goal.?

Just an idea...Pick out your favorite receiver and use it with the ASC1..Output from multiswitch to a selected input on Diseqc switch then to the ASC1 lnb input.and finally to your receiver input.Then just use your receiver to move,program and save sat positions using Diseqc commands...Other 4 receivers are slaves...Well not really slaves but they are dictated by what sat you have ur favorite receiver parked on.

Again..It really depends on your ultimate goal and how you want your system to work when done.

Hello Hockeynut
Thanks for your response, I do not have any Diseqc switch's at all, my GBOX is stand alone, I had the same Idea as you mentioned making one of the receivers the designated hitter and set it up as the automatic control.
I been reading the Manual and setting the ASC1 as stand alone looks very simple, I may try it both ways and see which one is more comfortable.
Thanks again for your input.
Regards
Chewie.

Hello Gents
I am a happy camper with this unit, is set up as a stand alone for now, the ASC1 is talking to my computer now using a USB to RS-232 ADAPTER, I am using the cable that came with the unit and one of these Mini Null Modem DB9 Male / DB9 Female Adapter(AD912NU).
I programed about 10 satellites positions and play with them changing the sats and it goes to them with no problem, no errors so far.
Regards.
Chewie:)

Do you have to use the RS-232 port to upgrade firmware, or is there a USB port or network jack that can be used for firmware upgrades?

And if the only way to do them is via the RS232 port, can you use a Mac (or a Linux box) to do them, or does it have to be a PC running [strike]virus magnet[/strike] Windows?

A RS-232 serial DB9 type serial connection is used for upgrade and editing. The loader is currently available only for windows, but there has been some talk of members providing a Linux and Mac solution. Suppose you could run virtual PC if you live in a Mac only world... but I am sure you have run into that before. ;)

Maybe Im the only one lol but Ive got 8 dvb satellite tuners. I currently control my actuator with an Arduino via serial. I have thought many times of making a diseqc interface for it as well but then only one card can control the dish, and no matter what tuner Im using I would have to switch to the diseqc tuner and move the dish then switch back to the tuner Im using. Right now I can use whatever tuner I want and just move the dish with a serial app. No switching back and forth.

First world problems eh? lol

If you could control your actuator the same way, via diseqc or serial, it gives users options. Maybe no one else needs that option though lol. I tend to be an anomaly most of the time :)

UDL

Well, yeah. Like how you have said in other forums that you don't use your equipment to actually watch TV because you are more interested in analyzing signals, or words to that effect. ;)

But you and I must be total opposites, because an RS232 port would not be my preferred method for any purpose, especially now that many new computers don't even have RS232 ports anymore. IMHO all new satellite equipment should have an RJ45 network jack (and maybe a USB port), and should just connect to the local network, and should be able to directly download firmware and any needed datasets. Why should anyone ever have to hook such a device up to a computer at all? It should get an address from the router that one can browse to from any computer on a local network, and then show a page that lets the user control all available functions.

Sometimes when I enter FTA forums I feel like I have stepped into a time warp where I am back in 1995, as least insofar as any recognition that people now do things over local networks is concerned.

Consider that if each of your eight tuners had a network connection, and a device like this had a network connection, then each tuner could (with the proper software, and I'll bet you could write it) tell the positioner where it seeds the dish to be when you are using that particular tuner. No tuner would need to be directly connected to this device, but any one of them could control it. And at the rate technology is moving in the FTA world, we MIGHT actually see that in 2030 or thereabouts!

My only issue with RS232 is that usually I don't have a computer anywhere near my satellite equipment, and my only portable computer is a tablet, which definitely does not have an RS232 port. So, to do a firmware update, I would have to disconnect this device and carry it all the way across the house, and then if the software that does the updates only runs on Windows, I would have to fire up my ancient Windows 2000 box and HOPE that it still works and that the software runs on that, and that I don't get a virus in the time it's online. Doable, yes. Convenient? Not even slightly. Now, if the software would run on a Linux box then that would be a lot more convenient, but still not nearly as much as if it could just get updates over the network.

I don't like to be the skunk at the garden party but it just really surprises me that anyone sees a RS232 port as a good way of communicating with a device in a time when so many computers don't even have them anymore. This device must already have some kind of computer inside it to make it capable of doing what it does, so why not add a network interface, or at the very least, a USB slot that it can use to download firmware and updates?

We soon will be offering a tested, compatible and price effective USB to RS-232 serial device for the ASC1. This should help folks who do not have a convenient RS232 solution.

A main purpose of the ASC1 design is to be an invisible interface, returning full function to DVBS/S2 and other satellite system receivers and at the same time offer hobbyist advanced features not found on any other controller to future proof the investment. Your expectations are exceeding the purpose of the design. I realize that the ASC1 isn't for everyone. You might be a great example of an equipment design not meeting your basic needs, having expressed enough other reasons that you should not consider purchasing the ASC1... :D

The controllers that you mention have been in use in cable headend and broadcast centers for years. Most event controllers use RS-232 control for actuator interface. There are some commercial LAN controller interfaces, but they are competing and proprietary. We are considering a higher priced "commercial" version of the ASC1 that will support the protocols found in commercial facilities including dual axis control. Much different price points when developing for these higher functions and interoperability. Current products with these features are in excess of $1500 - $3,000+. LAN implementation was not considered for the consumer version of the ASC1. The development cost would be prohibitive for the niche market and meeting a target cost of under $200.

I do actually use my equipment quite a bit for watching satellite television, but the features I look for in equipment are more in tune to the hobbyist interests rather than a casual viewer. I value reliability and simplicity.

Yes, it would be great to have a USB B beside the RS-232 port, but it doesn't. The RS-232 is not my preferred transfer method due to the inconvenience factor of the aging format, but it is my choice for providing robust communications of firmware and other raw data transfers. USB com ports are easily disabled and consistently have proven not to provide a reliable method of firmware updating. A serial com RS-232 or TTL com port is also typically included on these products for upgrades. In typical use, the ASC1 would only be infrequently updated. The requirement for constant connectivity becomes niche of niche within the hobbyist community.

I believe that the low cost and tested USB to RS232 adapter will provide a solution for the majority of ASC1 owners. If not, there is always the next model or a much lighter wallet for one of the commercial controllers... :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 2)

Latest posts