New Server - Issues and Reports

We were actually down more than that... My logs show over 17 minutes of down time.

I do see the 12:20 AM ET happening on the server. It appears a cron job was going and it restarted services.

However the rest of the time was NOT the server and was our host.

Because of this I just ordered a NEW server. Unlike our current host the new one has a SLA and 99.996 uptime.

The server will be ready in a few hours, and I will take te next few days to get it ready then move us when its time to go. :D
I wonder if it's the connection that was down or if it was actually the server. 99.996% uptime is basically 20minutes 52seconds of downtime per year.

Congraulations with the most recent new server and Happy Anniversary and many more to you and Eva, Scott!

Looks awesome and being in Chicago, latency looks good from San Francisco:
1688410953132.png

This was what the former new server in Phoenix, AZ looked like:
1688410855146.png

No issues seen here, I even tested using a VPN from a few places around the country and all appears normal.

I can only guess that there is currently an issue with your local CDN server, which is where some of those files are served from (cdn.satelliteguys.us) which is totally different set of servers.

I have not touched anything on the new server other than trying to get the backup software to work with the new offsite backup server. But that has nothing to do with the operation of the server. Hopefully whatever the issue with the CDN that you may be seeing is fixed shortly.

Time for some serveroptimization.

Some behind the scenes baseball talk...

We do not use the default Xenforo search engine, we use a Search Engine called "ElasticSearch" which is more robust, has a lot more features and is faster than the build in Xenforo search.

I made this server I followed directions on a website of how to install ElasticSearch and the necessary Java components to get them installed here on the new SatelliteGuys server. Unfortunately in my rush to get things moved over I didn't notice it installed really old versions of ElasticSearch and the Java needed.

Screenshot 2023-07-04 at 11.22.39 AM.png

While this is not slowing down the server in any way it is bugging me as I know later versions use a lot less resources. On this new server we doubled our memory to 64 gig, which is up from 32 from the server we were on last week and was up from the 16 gig we have been using for the last 2 years on the old server.

So as I write this I have turned off the enhanced ElasticSearch and am temporarily moving us back to the default Xenforo search engine. Also as I type this I am now building the search index for the Xenforo search engine. And it moment is appears this reindexing is not slowing the site down at all which is great.

I will then be uninstalling the old Java and ElasticSearch and will be installing the latest versions. While I am doing this work the search engine may be funky and or may not work. Just be aware I am actively working on it.

I will feel much better when I know we are on the latest and greatest.

Also looking at the graphic above our PHP is using a lot of CPU, so the PHP needs optimization which I will be doing as well. The usage is a lot higher then it was on our other servers, so I feel it can be tweaked... And sometimes when you tweak the PHP the site runs faster too. Another bonus.

So this is how I am spending my July 4th. I need to mow the lawn but too hot and humid out there not to mention that we keep getting spot rain showers for a few minutes at a time. I will sit here in the AC and play here on the computer and watch the fireworks here on SatelliteGuys. :D. How are you spending your 4th of July?

Time for some serveroptimization.

Some behind the scenes baseball talk...

We do not use the default Xenforo search engine, we use a Search Engine called "ElasticSearch" which is more robust, has a lot more features and is faster than the build in Xenforo search.

I made this server I followed directions on a website of how to install ElasticSearch and the necessary Java components to get them installed here on the new SatelliteGuys server. Unfortunately in my rush to get things moved over I didn't notice it installed really old versions of ElasticSearch and the Java needed.

View attachment 163343

While this is not slowing down the server in any way it is bugging me as I know later versions use a lot less resources. On this new server we doubled our memory to 64 gig, which is up from 32 from the server we were on last week and was up from the 16 gig we have been using for the last 2 years on the old server.

So as I write this I have turned off the enhanced ElasticSearch and am temporarily moving us back to the default Xenforo search engine. Also as I type this I am now building the search index for the Xenforo search engine. And it moment is appears this reindexing is not slowing the site down at all which is great.

I will then be uninstalling the old Java and ElasticSearch and will be installing the latest versions. While I am doing this work the search engine may be funky and or may not work. Just be aware I am actively working on it.

I will feel much better when I know we are on the latest and greatest.

Also looking at the graphic above our PHP is using a lot of CPU, so the PHP needs optimization which I will be doing as well. The usage is a lot higher then it was on our other servers, so I feel it can be tweaked... And sometimes when you tweak the PHP the site runs faster too. Another bonus.

So this is how I am spending my July 4th. I need to mow the lawn but too hot and humid out there not to mention that we keep getting spot rain showers for a few minutes at a time. I will sit here in the AC and play here on the computer and watch the fireworks here on SatelliteGuys. :D. How are you spending your 4th of July?
Smoking a brisket

Reactions: Foxbat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Latest posts