New Software Updates Discussion Thread

"I don't require people to read the thread before posting, but I do require them to read the thread before complaining"

I don't see difference if the posters asking same questions what been answered in the same thread before ... Same bad habits :(.

The current software for 622 is L614 .

L615 was only spooled for a limited period of time to California, Missouri and Washington.

I don't require people to read the thread before posting, but I do require them to read the thread before complaining.

PS L615 will play back everything recorded with previous software versions without audio dropouts, so there is no need to hold off recording anything (such as on ABC and FOX).
I did read the thread and I understood fully that the L615 upgrade is in some sort of phased geographical release. My point was that the tech support person told me that I would get it since I was activating a new receiver, regardless of the phased geographical roll-out. Obviously I didn't explain this very well, but my complaint stands!

Obviously I'm not in "Region 1" since my 622 didn't pick up the L615 that went out to "all" 622s Thursday night. I've been waiting for the Folders on the EHD, so I guess I'll be waiting a little longer...

Has anyone here picked up L615?

I got it on both the 622 and the 722. Do I want it? No, because it broke OTA reception on two channels. Pixelation and heavy sound drop outs. Do you want it? :)
The folders on the EHD are there, not much you can do since there isn't an option to turn them off/on.

I got it on both the 622 and the 722. Do I want it? No, because it broke OTA reception on two channels. Pixelation and heavy sound drop outs. Do you want it? :)
The folders on the EHD are there, not much you can do since there isn't an option to turn them off/on.
man...who do they have coding their firmware; the programmers that worked on Windows ME? this is insane. i just want my f'ing audio drop-outs fixed. i've been waiting since august and even upgraded from the 622 to the 722 in hopes that would help. some shows are absolutely unbearable to watch. why not just go back to an earlier working firmware while perfecting this one? who actually cares about watching VoD movies in 1080P anyway? like PakBackr, i'm in NC (CLT) and i can speak for a few of my neighbors as well who have this issue and we're pissed.

I always said that Dish Network needs to concentrate on fixing their current receivers to work properly and then release new receiver. I know I'm saying this in the wrong place because most people here want the latest and greatest but I just want a receiver that works. :rolleyes:

On behalf of those of us who have not received L615, thank you for volunteering to be beta testers. :D

Perhaps this is why Dish did a staged roll-out? ...it is unfortunate that they appear to skip over any thorough testing their firmware. Sorry to hear that it has messed up your locals.

Spence

Perhaps this is why Dish did a staged roll-out? ...it is unfortunate that they appear to skip over any thorough testing their firmware. Sorry to hear that it has messed up your locals.

Spence

Sorry you feel that way, however I can vouch that this is not the case. Things don't always work in the field like they do in the lab. There are a lot of variables.

S~

Sorry you feel that way, however I can vouch that this is not the case. Things don't always work in the field like they do in the lab. There are a lot of variables.

S~

I have no feeling one way or the other (unless I had received the update and had problems with my local channels). However many variables there may be within the 622/722 platform, to have issues being reported from such relatively small sampling group (active members posting in this forum) indicates that the problem is quite large and could have been discovered prior to public release of the update.

...just say'n :rolleyes:

Breaking of the locals as RandallA is experiencing more than likely was not experienced by the beta testing group through five different beta software versions. I certainly didn't experience it with my locals. The problems that remain with me are minor compared to what I was experiencing before.

S~

Breaking of the locals as RandallA is experiencing more than likely was not experienced by the beta testing group through five different beta software versions. I certainly didn't experience it with my locals. The problems that remain with me are minor compared to what I was experiencing before.

S~

teachsac,

I haven't read all the problems you had before but did you ever replace the receiver at all? I wonder if it only affects certain receivers because the problem I'm having with OTA doesn't happen on the 622 but it does on the 722. Just curious.

teachsac,

I haven't read all the problems you had before but did you ever replace the receiver at all? I wonder if it only affects certain receivers because the problem I'm having with OTA doesn't happen on the 622 but it does on the 722. Just curious.

It's not the receiver as it was happening on both my 622's. THe only problems prior to 6.15 were the audio drops on Fox and ABC. With 6.15, most of the drops are gone, but the video will pixelate/block and lock for 5-10 seconds on some DVR'd LiL events yet the audio remains. I also have some minor drops now on NBC sat DVR'd events that were not there before. I'll be looking at some CBS events later in the week. I have yet to have any OTA problems like you described. I consider these minor, for me, and will be fixable. For you, who is having lockups now, I would consider that major.

S~

IEEE-488!!! :p

Anyway, back to L615, I wasn't aware that the OTA reception problems were that bad out in the SF Bay area. I have been fortunate that Dish's DVRs have been able to handle everything that our South Bend/Elkhart locals have thrown at my DVR 942 and now my ViP 622. I wonder if it a PSIP thing, or maybe a marginal signal causing excessive errors issue?

So far, all the problems I've seen OTA have been at the stations, not the receivers. At least, the breakups I see on my Toshiba HDTV are identical to what the 622 records, so I suppose it is possible it could be in the roof-top antenna, but I don't know that two ATSC receivers in two different rooms would experience the exact same errors unless the errors came from the broadcaster in the first place.

Last edited:
It's not the receiver as it was happening on both my 622's. THe only problems prior to 6.15 were the audio drops on Fox and ABC. With 6.15, most of the drops are gone, but the video will pixelate/block and lock for 5-10 seconds on some DVR'd LiL events yet the audio remains. I also have some minor drops now on NBC sat DVR'd events that were not there before.

I'll reiterate that there are no problems with L615 on satellite-delivered locals in San Francisco. No pixelation or anything else.

Evidently there may be new problems with Sacramento and/or Saint Louis satellite-delivered locals with L615 and there may be OTA problems (but almost every version has someone complainng about OTA problems on 622/722).

I'll reiterate that there are no problems with L615 on satellite-delivered locals in San Francisco. No pixelation or anything else.

Evidently there may be new problems with Sacramento and/or Saint Louis satellite-delivered locals with L615 and there may be OTA problems (but almost every version has someone complainng about OTA problems on 622/722).

Of the few users that received this update and are actually reporting from the Bay area, there is one user on the other site that is reporting pixelation just as I am experiencing. RandallA is experiencing OTA locks from the bay area that he is not experiencing on his other receiver.

S~

Of the few users that received this update and are actually reporting from the Bay area, there is one user on the other site that is reporting pixelation just as I am experiencing. RandallA is experiencing OTA locks from the bay area that he is not experiencing on his other receiver.

S~

teachsac, just to be clear, are you referring to me (same posting name)?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts