New Software upgrade for 811

erasmu said:
The 811 can now record using a vcr and actually get video instead of a black screen. This is a big plus for me. Guide seems to be working well.

Im curious if this is related to VCR's in general. I was always able to record from DISH to a DVD with no problem.

Bill

This is definitely an improvement. The Guide works great. Mapping the Sat locals to their normal channel is at least a temporary fix to the OTA guide problem. The OTA mapping looked like it was fixed at first, but once I tried to view my problem channels (CBS and PBS in Miami), the channels mapped to the wrong place.

I am still happy with the progress.

jds44 said:
This is definitely an improvement. The Guide works great. Mapping the Sat locals to their normal channel is at least a temporary fix to the OTA guide problem. The OTA mapping looked like it was fixed at first, but once I tried to view my problem channels (CBS and PBS in Miami), the channels mapped to the wrong place.

Yeah, CBS is the problematic one for me as well. The rest work fine. A guide for the OTA channels would be nice.

Miami Locals

jds44 said:

I am having the same problems with my Miami loclas (cbs and pbs) anyone know why this is so??

Also, anyone in miami having reception problems with any of the OTA stations??

Thanks

Here is what I still am seeing...

+ S-Video seems to be much more truer to color

+ Program guide has picture without waiting for guide data

+ Program guide seems to go out at least a couple days

+ DISH Locals remapped to their OTA channels

- Still having a lot of problems with the DTV OTA signal fluctuations of 10 to 15%. This does not happen on my old 6000 or 921. Signals are solid on these two receivers. I am starting to wonder if this more of a hardware issue rather than software. Anybody else having this problem?

- Sort of the same problem, but DTV station 32 (23.1) bounced from 38 to 49 and never locks.

- System seems more responsive in general.

Add this to the list-
-Video imput 1 remapped from 001-01 to 0-01
-Video imput 2 remapped from 001-02 to 0-02

S-video is definitely brighter, but still seems to have poor dynamic range and the blacks are crushed. I will try to tweak the TV tomorrow. The RCA video output is unchanged, very dark and useless. Didn't try DVI yet, presumably that is still good.

Add the EPG and OTA changes, and this is a big improvement. You can now have the receiver echo the remote RF commands into IR to train a learning remote, cool.

The 811 remote appears to have both IR transmitter and receiver? Take a look at the top side of the remote, two different types of LED's there.

Keith.

oops -- did I kill the download?

Hello,

Dish came out today and gave me a new 811 box. There was a problems with the power and we had to plug/unplug a few times. Well, I just turned on the box tonight and had no power. So, I unplugged an plugged in a new outlet and it powered on. I just checked and I have the new update. Did I get the entire update?

Reason I ask, I am still loosing my local FOX. It scans it in, but I go to that channel and it blacks out and goes to a different tv mapping.

Thanks!

OK well, I have the new update. It seems to work the guide much better. Still no opentv. I noticed the OTA is more responsive. However, it hasnt fixed the chanel lock problem. maybe 2.65?

Anyone else get it to lock on a 49% channel?

There will soon be a list of updates posted I am sure.

Thanks Dish. NOW HURRY UP AND GET 2.65 OUT!!! LOL

My DVI seems a little brighter than before.

So far I have noticed most of the same things you folks have (except for the S-Vid issue since I dont use SVideo at all).

What the heck is OpenTV?

ebraunusa said:
Hello,

Dish came out today and gave me a new 811 box. There was a problems with the power and we had to plug/unplug a few times. Well, I just turned on the box tonight and had no power. So, I unplugged an plugged in a new outlet and it powered on. I just checked and I have the new update. Did I get the entire update?

Reason I ask, I am still loosing my local FOX. It scans it in, but I go to that channel and it blacks out and goes to a different tv mapping.

Thanks!

Well same problem here. After update I had to unplugged and plugged.

The problem with the local OTA channel is common not only for this receiver but for other standalone OTA receivers from other brands. It has something to do with virtual channel (which replicates OTA analog channel number) that broadcasters supposed to transmit sometime looses it signal and disappeared from your receiver when that happened. I worked in a place that sells HD receivers and I've seen at least a few of them does this. When that happen the channel remapped to the real frequency number. Go to http://www.antennaweb.org to find out what is the real frequency assignment of the channel.

johnny_b said:

+ DISH Locals remapped to their OTA channels

- Still having a lot of problems with the DTV OTA signal fluctuations of 10 to 15%. This does not happen on my old 6000 or 921. Signals are solid on these two receivers. I am starting to wonder if this more of a hardware issue rather than software. Anybody else having this problem?

- Sort of the same problem, but DTV station 32 (23.1) bounced from 38 to 49 and never locks.

Add this to the list-

The problem with the local OTA channel is common not only for this receiver but for other standalone OTA receivers from other brands. It has something to do with virtual channel (which replicates OTA analog channel number) that broadcasters supposed to transmit sometime looses it signal and disappeared from your receiver when that happened. I worked in a place that sells HD receivers and I've seen at least a few of them does this. When that happen the channel remapped to the real frequency number. Go to http://www.antennaweb.org to find out what is the real frequency assignment of the channel.

I got the upgrade too...The receiver didnt want to turn on afterwards, so I had to unplug it and wait.

The guide is working now, but Im having the same old OTA problems. Two channels here WJCT (PBS) and WTLV (NBC) do not want to come in. Some days PBS will be fine, but for the most part I get 49 percent and it wont even attempt to lock.

Im not sure if this is an issue DISH is responsible for.

I installed the update last night, and I still have a couple of mapping issues.

KMOV (local CBS-DT) starts off mapped to 04-01, but that mapping gets lost after you select it out of the PG and go back in to the PG. Fortunately, with 2.64, the channel still appears in my listing as 56-01 which is a definite (and workable) improvement :)

The ABC affiliate (KDNL) also has mapping issues, it will not map to 30-01, but is always available as 31-01 (unchanged).

Also, the raster scan sound I was getting when selecting the EPG is now gone. My ears are grateful for this one :D

So my two major problems (always having to add back in the CBS-DT station, and the loud audible noise @15.75kHz when viewing the EPG) are now resolved.

The performance improvement is icing on the cake.

Let's see how things are sitting in a few days, when we've all "worked over" the new software.

Cheers,

Very glad to see this update. Very nice. Agree with most of what has already been posted.

The RECALL bug between OTA HD channel and regular dish channel is still there for me. And the VCR TIMER bug was still there for me. Setup a test to tape TWILIGHT ZONE. Left the box off. Once again, it taped the BANNER just fine, but the recording was completely black. Maybe the work around is to leave the box on, as someone else mentioned that they were able to setup a VCR TIMER.

Just a side comment - I'm so jealous of the 721 style onscreen display! I saw a picture of the 721's guide in Scott's review of it's OPEN TV changes. Even with the VIDEO option it shows 7 lines of program data! Very nice. The 811 only has 4! Even with the VIDEO OFF the 811 has only 6 lines!

More OTA channels

After the download, I went into my locals and blew them all away and then did a scan for digitals. This time the 811 found 2 more digital channels (from a little further out). I had never gotten these before. It will not lock to these channels yet, but I have not adjusted my antenna in the attic either. I will try that tonight. Anyone else notice they are pulling in more OTA digitals, weather they lock or not.

Does anyone still have issues with 148? Did this software fix it? (or am I asking too early and the west coasters haven't woken up yet?)

bcshields said:
Does anyone still have issues with 148? Did this software fix it? (or am I asking too early and the west coasters haven't woken up yet?)
Yes, we're awake on the left coast...
Version 1.48 fixes a couple of the annoying bugs, but there is still work to be done:

* Fix dark output on S-Video output
* Fix stretch modes so they don't cut off any of the picture
* Increase size of favorites list
* Change EPG to 16:9 (currently 4:3)
* Add OpenTV (DishHome)
* Add EPG search

johnny_b said:

Add this to the list-

I'm happy with the update everywhere except for the OTA channel situation.

Everytime I switch to my only OTA channel, the signal stays at 49%.

If I hit the "info" button and let it sit there a bit and then hit cancel or select, the signal will be up to 63 or 64%. Sometimes the screen stays black, sometimes the station comes in fine and continues to work fine.
I can't set it up so it "timers" to an OTA channel or it will error out and remaps the station.

Still needs a lot of work there.

Im happy also to see the two major issues- guide retrieval and pic-in-guide, fixed. Those were the only two that I'd really notice day to day.

One thing though- I have the option set to include DISH locals on channels below 100... but I still only see my OTA channels here. Is there something Im missing? I only see 19-01, 05-01, etc... no DISH locals at all from channels 1-99.

-bill

bsic said:
Im happy also to see the two major issues- guide retrieval and pic-in-guide, fixed. Those were the only two that I'd really notice day to day.

One thing though- I have the option set to include DISH locals on channels below 100... but I still only see my OTA channels here. Is there something Im missing? I only see 19-01, 05-01, etc... no DISH locals at all from channels 1-99.

-bill
Mine is working. My SD locals show up as ??-00.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)