New To DirectTV Should I use there OTA antenna?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

joseph.solari

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Hey everyone, I am new to Direct TV, recently switch from dish network after about 15 issues over a month.

I was wondering what everyone thought of Direct TVs OTA Antenna. The one that they attatch to the dish. I do not know which model number and I am having it installed on Fri Afternoon. I called they did not have anymore information other than it is an OTA Antenna. I did not order one but they promised me the installer would bring one so that I could decide then.

So what does everyone think of Direct TVs OTA antenna's??

Hey everyone, I am new to Direct TV, recently switch from dish network after about 15 issues over a month.

I was wondering what everyone thought of Direct TVs OTA Antenna. The one that they attatch to the dish. I do not know which model number and I am having it installed on Fri Afternoon. I called they did not have anymore information other than it is an OTA Antenna. I did not order one but they promised me the installer would bring one so that I could decide then.

Pretty much useless, unless your OTA channel towers happy to be exactly in the same direction. (provided your trying to get HD signals)

I would recommend an OTA outside antenna with a rotor.
If you have one already on the house (like the old uhf/vhf antenna's) they will still work great.

IF you are looking to get an antenna, check to see what direction your towers are in so you know what direction the antenna needs to point.

Check this site : AntennaWeb

Jimbo

:welcome

OTA questions are hard to answer because it depends on your location and clear site to the towers. The low end antennas that Directv install might just be fine if you are 5-10 miles from the towers. At least have them install it for free so you can get the line and dish. Make sure you get the Slimline 5 LNB dish installed.

As Jimbo mentioned, you can find out what you are dealing with by using antennaweb.org. It will tell you that answer of how far away you are and what you are dealing with. Direction is important too if the antenna is on the correct side of the house. Clearance and height are the most important factors.

Most satellite installers trained by DISH or Directv have very little experience only a few months. They usually have even less experience with TV antennas, GOOD LUCK. I saw one here where the installer put the TV antenna behind the metal satellite dish, most of the Sensars receiving area was blocked by the dish.

Good point boba. My brother had the same problem. So best advice is research and help him/her. They have ability to climb ladders and screw things in. You can help them to find a place and point it. So do your research!!

Nothing is better then a traditional off air antenna, I really have no respect those electronics antenna as this is my last choice if no other work on the condition. Beside, for long term, a one time charge of antenna installation is far better then paying few bucks a month that end up paying much more to watch something suppose to be free.

First check antennaweb.org. The site will tell you where the antennae are with respect to your house, and will recommend an appriate OTA antenna. You might need a big antenna with rotor, or a pair of rabbit ears.

I was fortunate that most of the towers are in the same general direction and distance. I have a square-shooter outside only because my wife didn't like rabbit-ears in the family room. I still use rabbit ears in the bedroom b/c I'm not ambitious enough to snake a wire through second-floor exterior walls and don't want to puncture my vinyl siding. Both provide excellent HD signal and all the digital subchannels which are broadcast (D* does not carry multicast). Multicasts are sometimes useful for getting local weather 24x7, and some in my area provide alternate programming from the primary channel.

My suggestion is check antennaweb.org; if it says small directional antenna, try rabbit ears first b/c they are the least expensive. If you need something more substantial it's got to fit your budget.

Hi Joe, broke free from the rochesterhdtv board 'eh? :D
:welcome

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Any good 5LNB Installs in SW suburbs of Chicago

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)