New to fta need help!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Sep 1, 2015
Illinois
Hi im new to fta and am wondering what fta receiver do you guys recommend? Currently i only have a Dish dish setup i aslo have a spare dish 1000. Also which direction should i point to get movie channels (i mean free ones not like hbo) cuz im not really interested in religion tv.

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!
First off you will need a larger dish than the DISH 1000. I suggest for Ku the GEOSATpro 90cm.
You will also need a linear LNBF, the ones on your DISH dish will not work.
The Amiko Mini HD SE is a great basic receiver. The microHD is also a good choice.

Having said all that. Most of the channels that show movies will be on C-Band(larger 10 foot dish).

Welcome to SatelliteGuys!
First off you will need a larger dish than the DISH 1000. I suggest for Ku the GEOSATpro 90cm.
You will also need a linear LNBF, the ones on your DISH dish will not work.
The Amiko Mini HD SE is a great basic receiver. The microHD is also a good choice.

Having said all that. Most of the channels that show movies will be on C-Band(larger 10 foot dish).
How much will this run me?

You can find the Dish and LNBF combo on eBay for $99 shipped.
The receiver is about $90 - $110 depending on dealer.

A C-Band dish can be free if you find an abandoned one around your area and you knock and ask for it for removing it from their yard.
You may need to upgrade the LNB/F on it, if you grab one that way.
There is a place that sells new ones that have mixed feeling here at tek2000.com

Reactions: FTA4PA
Also can you get msnbc or cnbc with this setup? Thanks
You may find it at times but not consistent. Remember this is FTA and not pay TV, however there are a lot of 24 hour new channels, on FTA....just may not be the main stream you are used to.

Welcome to the forum!

Here's a channel guide that will give you some idea of what is available on C and Ku. This program guide is NOT a complete list of FTA programming!
http://ftalistings.com/

As for dedicated FTA movie channels (like HBO) there aren't any that I'm aware of. There is iFilm on Ku that broadcasts Iranian movies dubbed into English. (Some of the iFilm movies are quite good.)

That is kind of a loaded question.
Think of it like AM and FM.
They are way far apart in freq. that is C, Ku, Ka; however you could have the same channels if you wanted.
Some channels you do find repeats of the same thing on two different bands.
For the the most part however there are different channels on each band.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)