new to fta - need suggestions and comments !!! please !!!help !!!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
Now it's time to post pictures.
Let's see that little dish, front 'n rear.
Off hand, I'm optimistic.
Might warrant a bigger motor - we'll see.

A 10' BUD is probably ideal.
We need to see brand & condition.
The entire feedhorn will probably get replaced.
Let's hope the motor is usable.

But let's start out with and focus on one thing: small dish.
We can educate you along the way on that BUD, but not as a priority.

As for receiver, I think the GeoSatPro microHD from SatelliteAV has been recommended due to a number of reasons.
Get up those Ku dish pictures, and we'll tell you what else's you might want to order along with the receiver. :)
(USB port is for firmware upgrade & external hard drive to record shows - doesn't hook to your network)

I know it seems bad to say this, but at this moment, I don't know of any other inexpensive receiver capable of receiving a variety of signals (except 4:2:2, which would make the device cost closer to $350 instead of $125!) with as much support and less bugs in it than the microHD. I first ordered an Openbox s10. I had to send the first two back to California because they were clones and ended up malfunctioning. No explanation, just shipping costs and replacements. There was one time when I had a problem with the microHD, and there was so much support for the device on the forum (from others and directly from SatelliteAV), I got it up and running again in less than a week (I had to order a special cable, but the directions for reinstalling the firmware were simple to follow). The money you save in shipping for sending off a dead receiver somewhere, or buying a replacement is easily saved by picking the right receiver at the start :)

This will give you an idea of how unobtrusive the microHD is: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f71qf8QjMSk (My apologies because I figure someone on this website probably posted this video, but I don't know who!)

In my experience, after starting with a 90cm geosat pro dish and sitting on a 8' channel master for a couple months, I'd forego the small dish and use the big one for both c and ku. The big dish (mine anyway) is much better for the weaker ku signals and really outperforms the smaller dish. Plus, small adjustments with a big dish are easier than small adjustments with a small dish :) You just need a positioner like a vbox or gbox to make it move. Ether way, both offer great tinkering opportunities and they have the same requirements for aiming and fine tuning.

I see 4 dishes in your yard -- in the near future. With a few switches you can save a lot of trouble setting up and getting alignments done. I would every one you get easily get, and if you decide later that you can not use them all... There are some people around who will be glad to take them home to use or store for the next guy (or Gal). I wish I could have found a KU dish while I was in TX (Newark) last week. Motor home problems cut our time shorter than we liked, but FTA is now back up and running in the other MH.
IN SHORT -- get what dishes you can get, free is best. Then you have barter, gifts or dishes to use -- CHOICES!

I see 4 dishes in your yard -- in the near future. With a few switches you can save a lot of trouble setting up and getting alignments done. I would every one you get easily get, and if you decide later that you can not use them all... There are some people around who will be glad to take them home to use or store for the next guy (or Gal). I wish I could have found a KU dish while I was in TX (Newark) last week. Motor home problems cut our time shorter than we liked, but FTA is now back up and running in the other MH.
IN SHORT -- get what dishes you can get, free is best. Then you have barter, gifts or dishes to use -- CHOICES!

why 4 dishes? can i not put 2+ boxes on 1 dish - and can i get c /ku on 1 dish or is it optimal to separate c from ku -- whats ka band?

due to hoa restrictions i might be using a 1.2m dish -- not sure how it will work , hoa dont like b.u.d.'s mesh.jpg180cm.jpg
this is a 180cm i found with 2 boxes and all acces. for a bill. i found a site(vendor) with one of these that had 5/6 lnbs on it ??????
i also noticed that most " ch list " state dvb - mpeg2 -mpeg 4 and di-cipher and 1 other ?? does microhd support them??

why 4 dishes? can i not put 2+ boxes on 1 dish - and can i get c /ku on 1 dish or is it optimal to separate c from ku -- whats ka band?

due to hoa restrictions i might be using a 1.2m dish -- not sure how it will work , hoa dont like b.u.d.'s View attachment 85131View attachment 85132
this is a 180cm i found with 2 boxes and all acces. for a bill. i found a site(vendor) with one of these that had 5/6 lnbs on it ??????
i also noticed that most " ch list " state dvb - mpeg2 -mpeg 4 and di-cipher and 1 other ?? does microhd support them??

found this for 50.00 old 6'.jpgold 6' 2.jpg

There are many reasons why one might want multiple dish setups. A dedicated Ku-Band dish will receive Ku better than a BUD with a dual band LNBF. C-Band on a 1.2 meter dish is very hit and miss. You will get only the strongest transponders, but if you're in a HOA, you probably don't have a choice. A dual band LNBF will not work well if at all on a 1.2 meter dish.

The microHD will tune all DVB signals including S2. It will not tune Digicipher 2, as those are proprietary to Motorola.

I've gotten away with the HOA and my 6 foot mesh. It has been up for 7+ years but never used. I finally decided to get it up and running. My back yard is fenced and you can't see it from the front. I was very quite when I put it up and did it during the day when everybody was at work. They didn't like it but I have gotten away with it. I'm going to do the same with my 1m KU dish this week. Hopefully it doesn't raise any eyebrows. Crosses fingers......

would a 6' work ok if mounted low (ground level ) to keep it at or below fence line? i plan on motorizing a 6' (if i can mount low) and a 180 cm (ku). food for thought.

would a 6' work ok if mounted low (ground level ) to keep it at or below fence line? i plan on motorizing a 6' (if i can mount low) and a 180 cm (ku). food for thought.
Sure. Raising it 40 ft does little in getting it closer to a satellite. (LOL) Mounted low may cause line of sight issues with satellites close to the horizon. Pick your location with this, and it's visual 'footprint' in mind.
>>180 cm (ku)<< A 6ft Ku offset dish is a bit of overkill. A 1 meter tracking accurately usually suffices and is protected from HOA's by OTARD. If this is a consumer grade prime focus dish, a 1 meter offset will probably perform just as well, if not better-IMHO. It's all about 'surface accuracy'. 1/8 inch 'out' has little effect on C band whereas @ ku it's a 'bunch'. Commercial dishes are built more accurately.
Keep the 6ft BUD low, and out of site from the street, maybe a camouflage paint scheme and hopefully(fingers crossed) no-one complains.
Thankfully, I don't have to hide my dishes. Right out front on the corner just off the sidewalk.

Attachments

• BG_09-12.jpg
    BG_09-12.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:
That link is to SatelliteAV, one of our gold sponsors.
He's over here in central California.

Texas is a big place so I'm not sure this'll help, but you can look up Sadoun . Com
He's at least in the same state, and sells many of SatAV's products. ;)

ok another question ? if i go motorized ( 36" dish )----- what lnb(s) would i need -- do i need a quad? or will a single work being motorized ?

ok another question ? if i go motorized ( 36" dish )----- what lnb(s) would i need -- do i need a quad? or will a single work being motorized ?

Being motorized has no bearing on how many connectors your LNBF needs.
Two different things.

For a single receiver, the new PLL Standard Ku LNBF From SatelliteAV would be a good choice.

I know it seems bad to say this, but at this moment, I don't know of any other inexpensive receiver capable of receiving a variety of signals (except 4:2:2, which would make the device cost closer to $350 instead of $125!) with as much support and less bugs in it than the microHD.

You can purchase a brand new AzBox miniMe American Edition which is the lowest cost 4.2.2 capable receiver for only $229. This is the only current AzBox model still in production receiving extensive North American support and firmware updates.

Best regards,

PwrSurge
AzBox Canada

Status
Please reply by conversation.