New to FTA

Status
Please reply by conversation.

loveless

Original poster
Sep 24, 2009
PA
Hi,

My husband thinking of getting a FTA unit. I just wanna to know if it worth, we live in PA. Does anyone know what channels you get? Any do you need more than one unit to watch on more than one tv?

Thanks and sorry to be a pain!!

Hi,

My husband thinking of getting a FTA unit. I just wanna to know if it worth, we live in PA. Does anyone know what channels you get? Any do you need more than one unit to watch on more than one tv?

What kind of dish is he getting? Does he plan on getting a motor with it?

Hi,

Loveless,

For the channels you can get, refer to "The List" in this (FTA) section. That will allow you to check all the satellites individually for FTA channels and you can see if you might appreciate them.

Currently, there isn't any one satellite that has a whole mess of channels all in one location (except 97.0W, which has a great deal of foreign language programming). The channels are spread out over a number of satellites. At least the good channels are, in my opinion.

Therefore, I recommend a motorized system so that you can cover every sat at will, rather than having a mess of fixed point dishes for multiple satellites or just one fixed point dish for just a few channels.

This endeavor of FTA is sincerely a hobby and should be treated as such. It has great rewards and is an avenue I would recommend to anyone who has some background and exposure to satellite technology and electronics.

FTA is not something that will replace a DN or DirecTV system. They just have far too many channels available, albeit at a substantial price.

I would recommend FTA highly over any of the cable TV options that I have witnessed. Cable TV is pretty lame around my area and they charge just as much as DN or DirecTV for less channels than I can find on FTA satellite options.

For me, personally, I didn't and still don't care to watch TV very much, but I absolutely LOVE to play around with my FTA system! I get to watch some really great stuff from time to time, but the greatest thing about it for me is simply hobbying around with it. It is a great deal of fun in that rite alone.

This hobby can be either expensive or very cheaply accomplished. It depends upon how you treat it. If I am very liberal, I would judge that a extremely good, high end motorized system and HD receiver would run you $750 +/- as a one time purchase. If you or you husband are good scroungers (like garage sales and salvage yards) then you can set up a system for less than a quarter of that, if you are wise with your pennies.

It might be worth your while to buy a very inexpensive SD receiver, pick up a single dish for fixed point (non-motorized) use and an inexpensive but decent LNBF and some cable and just try experimenting with it. Then you don't have too much invested into it right off. You might get by with less than $150 and you can decide if it is worthwhile for you to pursue.

i.e.

Used Coolsat 5000 receiver $50 on Ebay
Used Channel Master dish at a junk shop or salvage $5-$10
New LNBF for Linear satellite signals - $15
Cable and connectors - $40
Mounting Hardware/mast - $25

TOTAL - - - $140

These prices are just figures I pulled out of a hat for reasonable expectations.

I am certain that there will be many other responses. Put all the information together and "squeeze" the tube and see what comes out. (Hee he, I mean sort through all the info and see what you like).

RADAR

- good advice:

It might be worth your while to buy a very inexpensive SD receiver, pick up a single dish for fixed point (non-motorized) use and an inexpensive but decent LNBF and some cable and just try experimenting with it.
That's about the best path you could follow.
Lots of people want to get a hi def receiver and do everything right off the bat.
Starting simple and getting your feet wet a little at a time, is much wiser.

There are some surplus dishes from gas stations or empty buildings, if you want to scrounge around.
There are -some- old DirecTV or DishNetwork dishes that can be recycled, but this needs more discussion so you don't go off on a wild goose chase.
(maybe 5% are useful, but we can tell you which 5% ) - :cool:

Of course, our Gold Sponsors (top of the page) have nice beginner packages, too.
If you would like to go that way, discuss the package with us, and we'll make sure you don't overlook any small detail, and customize the package to your needs.
(there was one fellow we gave this advice to, but then he went off and bought totally mis-matched hardware and tried to mount it in an impossible location)

edit:
Also, here's a very simplified beginner's list to look over for Ku satellite reception.
It doesn't say much, but you won't get lost, either.
Later, you may want to graduate to more technical: TheList and Global-CM.

Hi,

Thanks all for the infor. My hubby wants to get a viewsat one, cuz that what a friend of his had and told my hubby that he get tons of channels??

Hi,

Thanks all for the infor. My hubby wants to get a viewsat one, cuz that what a friend of his had and told my hubby that he get tons of channels??

Negative, tons of channels means your hubby's buddy is ( or was) stealing satellite service from probably, Dish Network. Now that N3 security is in effect, it's not as easy as it was, nothing you should have anything to do with.
:(

Hi,

Negative, tons of channels means your hubby's buddy is ( or was) stealing satellite service from probably, Dish Network. Now that N3 security is in effect, it's not as easy as it was, nothing you should have anything to do with.
:(

"Tons of Channels" is definitely a possibility - but quite an exaggeration. Don't allow this to mislead you. What everyone who is blinded by the notion does not realize is that most of these channels are either:

1] Foreign language channels
2] Shopping channels
3] Religious channels
4] Feed channels (which are not always broadcasting)
5] Good channels ( those that you would want to watch)

And one other note is that the good channels (category #5) do not always remain. Personally, I find about 12 channels that I would watch consistently, but can pull in approximately 1000 if I include feed channels as well. This is just a rough estimate.

RADAR

pulling no punches:

My hubby wants to get a viewsat one, cuz that what a friend of his had and told my hubby that he get tons of channels??
As already posted, your friend was hacking Dish Network.
The Viewsat models were heavily supported by that market segment; they were not highly regarded by the FTA members here.
So, when some newbie comes to the forum with a Viewsat, wanting to know how to do FTA, it's a 98% guarantee he is an ex-hacker.

I strongly suggest you re-evaluate your receiver choice, with an eye to the things needed for FTA.
eg: proper switch 'n motor support, etc.

Hi,

Thanks again for the great advice, I still not sure what and when my hubby planning on try this out, but will update when we do..

Thanks again :)

I'm in PA and I just started using my FTA dish after about a year of not using it. I scanned in about 50% of the satellites I can pick up with a 90cm dish and I think the count was around 400. What you have to understand about FTA is that most of the channels are feeds, religious, or non-english language. I'm interested in the feeds. If you're looking for an alternative to cable you'll probably be disappointed. If you're doing it for the feeds or just for the hobby aspects, then it's definately worth it.

I would highly recommend a GloryStar AV Satellie package for a beginner.:)
Their setup and operating manual is written for a greeny to understand.
Their support is out standing. Their one room systems start at 199. complete.
As you gain knowledge, you can go outside their 30+ friendly family and Christian channels to several other hundred channels and then you can learn a foreign. There are a lot of programs in English.
At that point, AV Satellites support heads South.

I would do the same thing over again, because you can not teach a old dog new tricks.

For starters, I would recommend the M-1 system here: Motorized Free To Air Satellite system will allow you to move the dish to several satellites to watch more channels.  A powerful solution if your favorite channels are available over several satellites. The receiver's remote control will actually con

You don't have to install the motor you get with this system right away. Once you get comfortable with the equipment and ow things work, you can always add the motor later to your setup. At least it will be available and handy. You won't need to order it separately and pay the full motor price plus S/H.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)