New to FTA

NorthernOhioGuy

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 19, 2017
Ohio
Hello all! I am new to the FTA hobby. I actually became interested in it a few years ago. My wife, however, wanted nothing to do with it. I finally convinced her to let me put up a 90cm dish a couple months ago and tinker with it. She was surprised by the variety of channels that I could pick up off of one bird so she allowed me to get a motor.

That is my current project; setting the dish up to track the arc. I will say I lurked this forum and other sites quite a bit while I was "dreaming" about my new hobby. There is a wealth of information here, and I am sure I will have to tap into it as I go along. I hope that some day I may be able to pass it on and help another newbie out.

Thanks for all you've all taught me so far.

Welcome and glad to hear that you got your dish up and running. It's like a magic carpet to tons of entertainment. Lots of bang for the buck. Enjoy.

I understand your situation, I have an XYL (wife) too and after 40+ years of being married to a radio nut she's used to all types of antennas coming and going. Doesn't even notice anymore :).

Put a dual lnb on that dish, and run two coax's. Get your wife her own receiver, and let her play.

Who knows, you might get "allowed" to get a C-band dish then, LOL. FAR more stuff on C-band, than KU.

I actually did put a dual lnb on it. As far as the coax goes I ran three so there would be an extra in case of a problem with one. I did pick up a c band dish about a year ago when I was still trying to convince the wife. She is still pretty set on not "having that ugly thing up in her yard." I guess it'll stay in storage out in the barn until it can hopefully be put back to work someday!

I think a properly cleanly installed and maintained C-band dish is beautiful! If it's done right, and placed properly in the yard, it doesn't have to be "ugly" or obtrusive in any way!

At my previous house, I had a 10ft C-band dish, a 6ft KU dish, a 4ft KU dish, and two Dish Network dishes all placed in an arc behind a large rhododendron bush, and 50ft away from those, you couldn't even see them from off the property if you didn't know exactly where to look!

This is my present dish, which is a 7.5ft SAMI. It's installed in my front yard, 17 FEET in from the front road! Nobody in the neighborhood minds, because it's taken care of, and looks GREAT!

These photos are from right after installation. Grass is back, and it's all cleaned up now.
0827181457-00.jpg

0826181426-01.jpg

Have you pointed out the PBS stations on 87 W and 125 W?
Maybe able to talk here into letting you have a dedicated one on one of these two?

Hello all! I am new to the FTA hobby. I actually became interested in it a few years ago. My wife, however, wanted nothing to do with it. I finally convinced her to let me put up a 90cm dish a couple months ago and tinker with it. She was surprised by the variety of channels that I could pick up off of one bird so she allowed me to get a motor.

That is my current project; setting the dish up to track the arc. I will say I lurked this forum and other sites quite a bit while I was "dreaming" about my new hobby. There is a wealth of information here, and I am sure I will have to tap into it as I go along. I hope that some day I may be able to pass it on and help another newbie out.

Thanks for all you've all taught me so far.

Reactions: spongella
Why can't you talk to the wife have a flower garden around the dish to spruce things up. No plants on the back of the dish. Put little water on that dish and the whole garden will grow. Every time you put up a dish put flowers around it.

Why can't you talk to the wife have a flower garden around the dish to spruce things up. No plants on the back of the dish. Put little water on that dish and the whole garden will grow. Every time you put up a dish put flowers around it.

I like this idea. She's not big on the flowers outside. I do most of the work with taking care of flowers, garden, yard, bushes. But maybe if it makes it look really nice I can get somewhere! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)

Latest posts