New TV Needed

Have you gone into the menus, and tried doing a new Firmware Download, to check for new firmware? If not, get used to it, because ATSC 3.0 is still basically experimental, and they keep changing stuff.
Yes, have done the firmware update. Probably pointless to use 3.0 until they refine the technical side a bit more. I know a defective tuner when I see one and this Sony unit has a bad tuner.

Noted that a Ch. 45 around 50 miles from here comes in fine on my LG while the Sony can't really pick it up. As a result I purchased an Insignia 43 inch for my second room and as luck would have it, I accidentally broke the screen on a piece of wood. Still somewhat usable but for about 4 inches of the entire left part of the screen, it is useless and also a couple of lines run east west. My previous two attempts to use Insignia TV's didn't end well either. The last one I had a few years ago, I dropped and broke. Can't return something I broke myself. LOL. Have to eat the cost.

Will return the Sony and probably get another LG. Noted something called Nano Cell Technology for the picture of some of the mid grade models. Might be a pretty good picture and comparable to the Sony but minus ATSC 3.0. Clearly I should not own a Sony or Insignia TV since my track record with both companies TV's has been terrible. Similar issues with Samsung. For some reason the two LG's I've owned have not been defective nor have I destroyed them by being a klutz. I am willing to trade a bit of the picture quality for something that is more logical to operate and is not buggy. Most of the viewing I do (which isn't that much really) is comprised of older TV shows from the 50's through 80's and then some sports like Football, Hockey, Ice Skating, Tennis and Golf. Finding a TV with some motion enhancement will help on that. The Insignia has a good picture but is a bit rough with fast moving frames since it does not have motion enhancement technology. But bear in mind I am only shopping for a second TV to back up the other LG which is fine and I don't need to spend a lot of money on some features or technology I will never use. Just basic OTA viewing here.

Are those channels owned/run by Sinclair? Because they still haven't recovered from the ransomware attack, and this is happening to ALL their stations at times. We have THREE local stations run by them, and it's a MESS.
Yes Sinclair stations are here. But the only problem there is that a couple of them don't provide their Program Guide via the internet guide with this TV. Ch. 9 and 19 are two of the stations that will go blank when I tune to them and will not tune unless I move back or forward a channel before going back to either channel. It happens sporadically but not constantly. Still, this is more evidence that something is wrong with this tuner.

A thought crossed my mind. While the tuner in this TV is not up to par with the LG or even the Insignia with a broken screen, is there a chance that future firmware updates could solve the problem with the aforementioned problems with the tuner?

I could keep the Insignia to use solely as a Program Guide TV for the Sony. A PIT to be sure but at least then I can have an OTA guide that does not require the use of the internet. Easy enough to have it in the same room next to or near the Sony. And since I still have the LG, I can watch channels that don't come in well with the Sony on the LG. This may be a work around to the existing issues.

While the tuner in this TV is not up to par with the LG or even the Insignia with a broken screen, is there a chance that future firmware updates could solve the problem with the aforementioned problems with the tuner?
I've owned an LG tv set, bought in 2013, and finally bit the dust in 2020. They have exceptional OTA tuners, the best I've ever seen. I've never owned a Sony tv set, so I can't advise you there. However, it's possible a firmware fix can fix the issues you are seeing.

However, you likely have to contact Sony tech support, and tell them your issues, maybe they already have a fix. They can likely check some things remotely, and go from there. The only thing is, you have to decide whether you want to possibly spend a month or two getting this fixed, (or maybe you'll get lucky and they can fix it immediately) OR if you want to just return it to the store, which is much easier.

Squeaky wheel gets the grease...

Do you know about this? You can make an account, and create your own personal lineup. That's what we do for FTA satelllite, and I have another one for local OTA: Like TitanTV

Reactions: navychop
I contacted Tech Support on Friday to address the issue a couple of issues. They did a diagnostic and didn't find anything wrong at least with obtaining ATSC 3.0 signals after the firmware update. So at least that is resolved and I am able to see them.

I purchased a Sony Bravia 32 inch in 2010 and also a Samsung 32 inch at the same time. Sony had a better tuner and would lock onto OTA signals better than the Samsung. Had the Samsung for the extended Program Guide for OTA signals since Sony even then, didn't offer that and only had a guide for the current show playing on each channel. Gave that Sony to my brother and kept the Samsung for about nine years until it started to get a little screwy and the remote gave out. Got the current LG after the Insignia I broke at that time was not usable. LOL. Had a LG prior to that in 2016 that also had a great OTA tuner but gave that to my brother as well. He now has that and the 2010 Sony.

At this point, given the terrible luck I've had with electronics at my current location over the five years I've lived here, I am not going to think about buying any more until I relocate to a new community and home 100 miles from here. Will likely have better luck. Perhaps future refinements through firmware updates will help improve the user experience of the current Sony. Picture is excellent most of the time and no real complaints aside from the stuttering I see from time to time on some channels. Very minor but it is discernible to a trained eye. BTW. Just pulled out a three year old 24 inch Philips TV which I have plans to use for a small radio station I am developing. Even that tuner was able to lock onto Ch. 45 with a watchable signal while the Sony can't. Might be able to get around this with a better pre amp at my new location.

Reactions: John2021
Will return the Sony and probably get another LG. Noted something called Nano Cell Technology for the picture of some of the mid grade models. Might be a pretty good picture

We have an LG tv with the NanoCell technology. This is the model:

I will say the picture is great with one exception. On really dark scenes when a lighter object, such as headlights or a person, moves across the screen there is a distinct band of light visible on the screen with it/them as the picture changes. Also, we use the tv as a computer monitor and you can see the band of light shift as the mouse moves over a dark screen. It is more of an annoyance than anything as the scene on the screen must be almost black before anything is really noticeable, but it is definitely there and I wanted to mention it since you are considering one. Other than that it is a great tv. I have attached a gif of a short video clip I shot showing what I mean as I move the mouse pointer (a light object) across a black screen. :)

TV_Light_Bands.gif

We have an LG tv with the NanoCell technology. This is the model:

I will say the picture is great with one exception. On really dark scenes when a lighter object, such as headlights or a person, moves across the screen there is a distinct band of light visible on the screen with it/them as the picture changes. Also, we use the tv as a computer monitor and you can see the band of light shift as the mouse moves over a dark screen. It is more of an annoyance than anything as the scene on the screen must be almost black before anything is really noticeable, but it is definitely there and I wanted to mention it since you are considering one. Other than that it is a great tv. I have attached a gif of a short video clip I shot showing what I mean as I move the mouse pointer (a light object) across a black screen. :)

View attachment 154398
Thanks for the info. Will revisit this matter next year. In the meantime I am going to hang onto the Sony for now. It appears only the ATSC 3.0 channels at times have the very faint stuttering effect on some shows. Mostly noting it during some football games.

Reactions: FTA4PA
Thanks for the info. Will revisit this matter next year. In the meantime I am going to hang onto the Sony for now. It appears only the ATSC 3.0 channels at times have the very faint stuttering effect on some shows. Mostly noting it during some football games.
Have noted some more info to pass on. I have spent some time watching channels I don't normally watch simply because they. broadcast in ATSC 3.0 and can compare one to the other. It appears a couple of the stations here in Cincinnati (WLWT 5 and WCPO 9) have the issues. Saw it while watching college football and again last night when I tuned into the Vikings and Cowboys game for a while to double check. Still see some faint stuttering of the picture on both stations right now though it is not terrible. But it is there and is a distraction with some viewing. Have not seen it on Ch. 19 or Ch. 12 or Ch. 64 which also broadcast in ATSC 3.0. Not the subchannels though just the main channels are 3.0,

Tuner still can't lock onto 45 for the most part and when it does it goes away quickly. I suspect Sony cut some corners with the OTA tuner at the expense of the other features with the TV. But 45 is my weakest channel and I am thinking a new and better pre amp will solve the problem. When I relocate I will have a couple of equally weak signals and will need to address that issue since both are channels that I want to watch once in a while. 45 I don't watch.

Have noted some more info to pass on. I have spent some time watching channels I don't normally watch simply because they. broadcast in ATSC 3.0 and can compare one to the other. It appears a couple of the stations here in Cincinnati (WLWT 5 and WCPO 9) have the issues. Saw it while watching college football and again last night when I tuned into the Vikings and Cowboys game for a while to double check. Still see some faint stuttering of the picture on both stations right now though it is not terrible. But it is there and is a distraction with some viewing. Have not seen it on Ch. 19 or Ch. 12 or Ch. 64 which also broadcast in ATSC 3.0. Not the subchannels though just the main channels are 3.0,

Tuner still can't lock onto 45 for the most part and when it does it goes away quickly. I suspect Sony cut some corners with the OTA tuner at the expense of the other features with the TV. But 45 is my weakest channel and I am thinking a new and better pre amp will solve the problem. When I relocate I will have a couple of equally weak signals and will need to address that issue since both are channels that I want to watch once in a while. 45 I don't watch.
Try emailing the station engineers, and pass on your information about the issues you are seeing. They may not know it, and it may be THEIR problem to fix. I've always been able to Google their email addy's, and mine have always fixed whatever issues I've sent to them over the years.

Try emailing the station engineers, and pass on your information about the issues you are seeing. They may not know it, and it may be THEIR problem to fix. I've always been able to Google their email addy's, and mine have always fixed whatever issues I've sent to them over the years.
Good idea. Will see if this trend continues into this weekend. If so, I will probably do that. I have a friend that is a radio BE's and yes, they do appreciate help from the public in cases such as this.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)