New Wireless Joey Info!!!

Is there any advantage in upgrading from an older Joey connected by Dish wifi adapter (or ethernet) - other than my setup is not supported & the new one would be if there was a problem?

And maybe I just haven't read enough yet, but on the wap, why would you ever leave that switch set to client?

I found that to be very odd as well. I plan to install mine Friday. Hopefully it will be easy to setup and hopefully it will work from my basement to the second story.

Is there any advantage in upgrading from an older Joey connected by Dish wifi adapter (or ethernet) - other than my setup is not supported & the new one would be if there was a problem?

I don't think so. I think you pointed out the main reason.

I found that to be very odd as well. I plan to install mine Friday. Hopefully it will be easy to setup and hopefully it will work from my basement to the second story.
Well you see that you can use the hopper remote to tell you if you have a strong enough signal where the joeys will be? That's pretty awesome.. And you can move the wap closer to the joeys by using a HIC, but do you know if you can use two HIC's in a system? Like one for the wap and one to connect IP into the system?

but do you know if you can use two HIC's in a system? Like one for the wap and one to connect IP into the system?
Two HICs will work several folks here already have more than one HIC, not sure if officially supported.

One possible advantage is a twice-as-fast processor. You'd be going from the Joey 1.0's 450 MHz 1100 DMIPS Broadcom BCM7340 to the Wireless Joey's 900 MHz 2000 DMIPS Broadcom BCM7418.

Well you see that you can use the hopper remote to tell you if you have a strong enough signal where the joeys will be? That's pretty awesome.. And you can move the wap closer to the joeys by using a HIC, but do you know if you can use two HIC's in a system? Like one for the wap and one to connect IP into the system?

I forgot that I don't have to connect it to the Hopper in the basement. I can connect to my HIC in the kitchen or the Hopper in the living room. I don't see any issues now.

It seems to keep the Hopper-Joey traffic off of your home wi-fi router, which might help keep it from interfering with other network traffic.

For the June 13th launch of Wireless Joey, existing customers will not have a ship and self-install option. Existing Hopper customers that would like to add a Wireless Joey to their system can contact the CSC and have an installation appointment scheduled. Although this was covered in this week's training as an available option there is not currently a release date. When the option becomes available to have the Wireless Joey shipped for customer self-install there will be additional communication.

I definitely don't see a reason for a tech visit after reading the directions here, it's a simple install. I'll contact DIRT later to see what I can do. Thanks for the info!

I definitely don't see a reason for a tech visit after reading the directions here, it's a simple install. I'll contact DIRT later to see what I can do. Thanks for the info!
What's simple for one, may not be for another. I can see how it could go over some (or many) people's heads. Plus, techs aren't going to be well versed without some hands on.

Here's the manual for the Wireless Joey system.

Attachments

• Wireless_Joey_Getting_Started_Guide.pdf
    3.5 MB · Views: 6,038
For the June 13th launch of Wireless Joey, existing customers will not have a ship and self-install option. Existing Hopper customers that would like to add a Wireless Joey to their system can contact the CSC and have an installation appointment scheduled. Although this was covered in this week's training as an available option there is not currently a release date. When the option becomes available to have the Wireless Joey shipped for customer self-install there will be additional communication.

I will be installing mine myself but I was hoping I could do it as a purchased receiver. Even though I'm not going anywhere I would like to avoid another 24 month commitment. I can't remember how many years I've had my own account with Dish but I know that I've never been out of contract the entire time because I keep upgrading.

WOW, my Wireless Joey scheduled delivery date is tomorrow. Do you have WAG when self-install customers be allowed to activate?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)