New Wireless Router Advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

isaacmorseMI

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
May 5, 2009
Southwest Michigan
So I need a new wireless router. I am trying to decide between an Apple Airport Extreme and a Netgear WNDR4000. Which one do you like better and why. If there is any other models that you like tell me why you like them.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad 2 using the SatelliteGuys App

Now that I figured out the problem I had with daisy-chaining two Airport Extreme routers (see the thread in this forum), I'd have to say that the AE is an extremely robust and good router; the new 5th gen Airport extreme has very strong dual-band wireless N throughput. I have been very pleased with it. Very reliable, and much better throughput than the Belkin I had. I also had the Cisco 4200, and that was not reliable at all.

Its downside: only 3 ethernet ports, but I just connect one of those to an 8 port switch and that works. That and there is no web admin interface, you do everything through the Airport Utility. If you are not a mac user, you'll need to install the software for it.

Don't know anything about Netgear (other than having one of their wireless to ethernet bridges for my Dish Vip 722).

You can easily extend the Airport Extreme with a $99 Airport Express; just plug it into a power outlet and you can add to your network -- plus it can feed speakers through Airplay. But the Express is a 2.4Ghz only router.

How about neither? Cripes, $180 (at least on Amazon) is WAY overboard for a SOHO router and while it's decent it's not $180 decent. Netgear isn't bad but personally I've had better luck with D-Link as of late and I'd recommend going with a DIR-655. The D-Link routers that I've used as of late have solid hardware, really excellent range and really good firmware loaded on them. If you want to tweak the router even more it's not too terribly hard to load DD-WRT onto their routers.

Well, it can happen to any router but I can understand not wanting to get the same router again. So I would recommend a Buffalo WZR-HP-G450H instead for pretty much the same reasons although i don't have as much first hand experience with their products as I do some others.

BTW, I get much better throughput with the Airport Extreme than either the Cisco or the Belkin I had before. I have 50/5 service, and get about 45-55/5-10 when wired, and as much as 36-40 over wireless N.

Which company do you think is the best? Netgear, Buffalo, or D-Link?

Of that bunch D-Link followed pretty closely by Buffalo. And if money is no object and your wife won't throw you out of your house for spending more money on network gear than your car might be worth Juniper Networks equipment ;) (and yes I'm not really recommending that you go out and purchase their equipment, just in a cheeky mood ;))

I'm sorry I didn't see this earlier. Often you can got to Apple's online store and check the refurbs for AEs and practically anything else Apple sells for quite a discount and a full new gear warranty. I seldom buy Apple gear any other way. If they have them, they usually sell @$129, yep just checked, they've got them.

Look down at the bottom left of the store's webpage for 'special deals'

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)