Newb questions on Dish Network service.

You probably want to avoid the 222 as it has no software for a recording external hard drive (EHD), as of now. Two 211s can each add EHDs for one-time fee of $40 and give you rewind and fast forward although not as convenient for recording as a 722 and with no immediate sharing between them and no PIP. The 722 has a different $40 fee for archiving EHDs.
-Ken

I want to hook up a HTPC, and even a TiVo, there is no way for Dish Network to tell if its any different than another TV set (correct?).
HTPCs and TiVos make for disappointing satellite DVRs as they can't readily record in HD.
You just have to deal with the hassle of connecting a reciever to the device and setting up the control with IR blaster to replace the remote.
The "hassle" in this case is substantial. HTPCs typically need a tuner and there aren't DBS tuners for HTPCs. If all you need is SD, you can hook up via composite, S-video or RF out and get a fair to good SD recording but none of these connections will get you HD.
Some stated earlier in the thread that the dual tuner, Duo Vip 222k, is capable of controlling both tuners from the IR remote. Can anyone confirm that? As well, has anyone setup WMC (Win7) IR blaster to control a Duo Vip 222k to control both tuners and have dual tuning for WMC?
A special kit is required to convert TV2 to IR. http://www.satelliteguys.us/dish-network-forum/178038-first-look-tv2-ir-converter-kit.html
I'm sure those with dual tuner DVR's will attest, once you've had it, you never want to go back. Same goes for having a dual tuner in a HTPC.
HTPCs for HD use are arguably overrated and are generally disappointing when used with subscription DBS satellite given the complications of recording HD. It is possible, but it is by no means "comfortable".

Harshness, yes, I must admit your right. Unfortunately, what COMCAST has created is NO better now, I'm stuck with very unreliable and troublesome SD recording using their inferior STB's and DTA's.

The fear is so great people would use a HTPC to illegally distribute digital recorded premium content, many are working to scuttle the HTPC in the industry, at least for HD capability.

The best I can tell, the Cable Co's are NOT cooperating with CableCard, they don't want to open the access to their system to the open market. The few tuner cards/devices that will work CableCard are still NOT available and the cost, like anything with CableCard is outrageous. I wonder if that is because of outrageous licensing fees? TiVo, is NOT much more expensive, true, but I wonder if they sell the TiVo at a loss and make it up with the monthly fees you have to pay to TiVo for the box to work.

There is a new device on the market, Hauppauge HD-PVR. Supposedly this works very well. It receives HD through the analog loophole, the component Y, Pb, Pr connectors, it does hardware H.264 encoding and streams the video over USB 2.0

Yea, I would be suspicious of reliable HD stream of USB, but there are many Youtube videos showing this in action and it looks good with no pause or stutter. It is supported by several HTPC programs and there is a 3rd party tool to make it work just like a tuner card with WMC.

Of course price is a drawback, $200, and I'd need two to do dual tuner in HD. As well, I'd suspect dual HD-PVR HD streams over HD might run into a problem.

Of course price is a drawback, $200, and I'd need two to do dual tuner in HD. As well, I'd suspect dual HD-PVR HD streams over HD might run into a problem.

Also you would need two HD solo Dish receivers. Non of the Duos have the ability to output the second tuner in HD.

I would truly recommend a 722/k DVR. They are worlds above any cable company's
DVR. Then use your Hauppauge to archive the programs you want to keep indefinably to your HTPC.

The Hauppauge HD PVR has been around for a couple of years now. There is a capture card from Avermedia that sells for under $90, but capture card support in WMC isn't particularly comfortable.

I expect that the film industry will make the analog loophole too difficult to support long before a practical HTPC solution comes to a "reasonable" price range.

Also you would need two HD solo Dish receivers. Non of the Duos have the ability to output the second tuner in HD.

I would truly recommend a 722/k DVR. They are worlds above any cable company's
DVR. Then use your Hauppauge to archive the programs you want to keep indefinably to your HTPC.

Or if your second TV is under 40" you may not need an HD signal.There are those that say any TV under 40" you can't see any difference in picture quality between HD and SD.But if it's bigger than 40" you would need a HD signal.The actual only way to tell is hook each input up and view on your TV for yourself.:)

I want to switch from Cable to Satellite, and I'm considering Dish Network, but have a few questions abot their service I do NOT see on their website.

Receivers need to phone home?? Is this for Updating guides and use 2 way like "On-Demand"?

I have VOIP (Ooma) and Cable Modem with Ethernet ports just about every point I'd place a Receiver. If the phone home function is required, can I use ethernet to do it over the internet? OR at the very least, will it function reliably over VOIP? Yes, I know about the *99 for less compression and better data transfer, fax has been awful with my VOIP, even using *99.

I have 2 analog TV sets, seen a few things that indicate new subscribers get all HD receivers? If that is true, the HD receivers have the option of using analog outputs to run an analog TV, the "F" coax out is plain old NTSC, right?

Saw that Dish Network does NOT charge a fee for extra TV sets, very appealing to me. If that is true, then what is the pay scheme for additional receivers? Buy them outright, lease them, but the lease is part of the standard service fee, i.e. additional recievers are free? I want 5 receivers, 3 HD, 2 Analog.

Finally, I know they offer free install, which I've been told means the dish and equipment is free. BUT, I've seen the job free installers have done pulling cables into people's homes, I'd rather do it myself and make sure its done right, if its necessary.

The Dish Network equipment, works off a single coax per receiver correct? I do NOT need two coax per reciever, correct? What is the standard for the cable? Just any old RG6 under 100' is fine, OR do I need RG6U OR RG6UQ, any other specs, quad shield (pretty sure that is Q) 3GHz bandwitdth, solid copper conductor, etc.?

Yes, RF outs are NTSC and in Standard Definition. All Dish boxes come with an RF out Ch 3/4 (and dual tuners--but not 922, 521, nor 612--have an additional Home Distribution output for UHF 21-60 or CATV 73-125 selectable for both tuners) except for the following: 222K; 722K; and 922. However, for those models you may purchase an OTA dual tuner module (About $30) that includes an RF output for older TV's, etc. It is very easy to install. The module allows for the reception of 2 OTA channels in addition to the two sat tuners. The DVR Model ViP 722K can record both OTA channels and both sat tuners in HD at the same time. This effectively means 4 HD tuners recording at the same time while playing back a recorded event or download.

The 772K and 222K do not have S-Video output, but do have composite and component and HDMI. Almost all previous models do have an S-Video output in addition to composite and, in the HD models, component and HDMI.

Last edited:
I highly agree with Scoobyxj: Much easier to get a dual tuner DVR like the 722 or 722K (you have no idea how superior they are to cable DVR's, and they are superior to my TiVo Series 3) and then you can easily archive out of TV2 while you watch TV1 or vice-versa, as I do when I archive to VHS or DVD.

Also, there are no additional monthly charges for any Dish equipment other than the set-top-box. A free install provides all necessary equipment to provide TV to all rooms and TV's according to how you ordered it at the time of arranging install (on the work order) for ONE PRICE and NO EXTRA CHARGES at time of installation for reflectors, LNBF's external Multi-switches, diplexers, etc no matter how fancy or expensive the equipment. Dish will install you as per work order with NO additional charges. However, anything outside of that will have to be paid for at the time of arranging install (dealing with Dish directly) or if at arrival of installer, you want to change things from what is on the work order and it results in additional costs beyond the work order, you will have to pay.

Buying or owning an STB makes sense only if you really need the additional STB's beyond what Dish will provide, as in my situation. There really is no advantage to buying instead of leasing.

Last edited:
The Hauppauge HD PVR has been around for a couple of years now. There is a capture card from Avermedia that sells for under $90, but capture card support in WMC isn't particularly comfortable.

I expect that the film industry will make the analog loophole too difficult to support long before a practical HTPC solution comes to a "reasonable" price range.

You got it. The recent FCC approval of allowing the studios to shut down the component output on STB's for some content is disturbing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts