Newbie Advice

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

stuvwxyz99

Original poster
Feb 18, 2009
NY
I am looking to update our existing receiver, hopefully with a PVR. We have a very basic need: the receiver is set up in our sports bar and is used only to watch European Pay Per View sports on Setanta Sports (we have a legitimate subscription). The receiver will need a slot to accept the smart card.

We would like the ability to record games so PVR functionaility looks interesting, but since a reasonable number of people will be using the receiver, ease of use is a big plus. The usual modern PVR features of watching from the begining while recording, pausing live tv, recording one channel while watching another, etc would be great. We would also like to be able to watch the recordings on a PC and perhaps record to DVD. Maybe we would be better off with a DVD Recorder instead?

Setanta seem to move their channels around so a system that makes scanning for new channels easy would be a help.

We also need to send the feed to 3 or 4 TVs via component or HDMI. I guess we need a separate Distribution Amp for that (we currently just send the signal over coax). The Setanta signals are SD so HD capability is not a requirement.

I'd be happy to hear any recommendations you might have.

That's a good idea.

I looked up who they provide service through in the USA, and found this list.
I'm pretty sure you cannot use the provided smart card in any FTA receiver, if your subscription comes through:
- Dish Network / Dish Latino
- DirecTV / WorldDirect
- WorldTV
Because they all use subscription cards that require use in the provider's receiver.

The DFH web site was not in English, so good luck. :)

Home2USA seemed inexpensive for a subscription, but it was unclear if you must use one of their receivers or not.

Thanks guys.

It's not the Setanta USA channel that is available through retail channels. They have two Pay Per View (Closed Circuit) channels that are branded as Setanta Premium. These are only available to bars and pubs and are subscribed to directly with Setanta.

Here are the technical pages from the Setanta website that give more details: (actually, due to low post count, I can't post the link. If you google for [setanta technical help] you will get the page I am talking about that shows you how to add the channels from the G25 satellite.)

Thanks guys.

It's not the Setanta USA channel that is available through retail channels. They have two Pay Per View (Closed Circuit) channels that are branded as Setanta Premium. These are only available to bars and pubs and are subscribed to directly with Setanta.

Here are the technical pages from the Setanta website that give more details: (actually, due to low post count, I can't post the link. If you google for [setanta technical help] you will get the page I am talking about that shows you how to add the channels from the G25 satellite.)
You mean this link:
Technical Help | Setanta
Looks like they use these receivers:
satellite receivers, UAE, Satellite Accessories, Dubai, Analog Receivers,Middle East, Digital Interface, UAE, Free To Air, Digital, Analog, Positioner, Common Interface, VIACCESS Common Interface,UAE, IRDETO Embedded satellite receivers,Dubai,Satelli

We would like the ability to record games so PVR functionality looks interesting, but since a reasonable number of people will be using the receiver, ease of use is a big plus. The usual modern PVR features of watching from the beginning while recording, pausing live tv, recording one channel while watching another, etc would be great. We would also like to be able to watch the recordings on a PC and perhaps record to DVD. Maybe we would be better off with a DVD Recorder instead?
I would ask SatelliteAV (contact via Contact Information - SatelliteAV, LLC.) and ask them if the Geosatpro DVR-1100c supports the version of IRDETO that Setanta uses.

The DVR-1100c will do the recording to a hard drive and allows for playback on a PC but it's a one tuner box, so you will need multiple receivers and another smartcard in every solution I'm going to suggest.

I have yet to use a set-top DVR/PVR that is as fluid as a Windows Media Center or MythTV box. But getting guide data, let alone accurately, or reliably will definitely be an issue...

I take that back, a Sky+ box was and I believe that was a re-branded, slightly-customized Tivo (ala DirecTV Tivo's) but you won't be getting recording off of them to watch elsewhere.

Setanta seem to move their channels around so a system that makes scanning for new channels easy would be a help.
G25 was replaced by G19 and channels got moved to different transponders for better or equal coverage. I believe everything is settled in now.

I do know Setanta like to move games around and on their 3 different channels.

We also need to send the feed to 3 or 4 TVs via component or HDMI. I guess we need a separate Distribution Amp for that (we currently just send the signal over coax). The Setanta signals are SD so HD capability is not a requirement.
I'd be happy to hear any recommendations you might have.
I've been looking at these requirements and there is no "off-the-self" or "out-of-box" one-size-fits-all solution that's not subsidized by a month to month subscription.

Well the requirement for component or HDMI is overkill in my opinion and quite a money-waste just for a SD channel.

I personally think you just need a coax distribution amp and maybe a UHF modulator, if you're have simple problems like static on TV's with farther cable runs.
(I'm learning on this part, little to no experience on anything more than very basic distribution)

If your looking forward to wire up for HD in the future you'll probably want to take that to AVSForums.com They specialize in HD wiring.

Typed first not quite as relevant but still informational:
I'm assuming you want 1 source fed to 3 or 4 TV's

To start off I'd sink money into RG-6 Quad-shield and a 24+dB distribution amplifier. Add a High quality splitter and off you go to your TV's on Ch. 3 or 4, or add a UHF modulator and put it on a CATV channel to minimize interference.

Code:
Sub-receiver => (modulator) => AMP => 4-way Splitter => TV's
Or run it around the area:
Code:
Sub-receiver => (modulator) => AMP => Splitter => Splitter ==> Splitter
                                        |            |         |   |
                                       TV           TV        TV   TV
Oh and do tell over the results of if the DVR-1100c will accept the Setanta smartcard. I'd love to know...:D:hungry:

Thanks Meinename for the great advice. SatelliteAV told me "The DVR1100c and the DSR100c both will accept IRDETO CAS."

However, I was in touch with Setanta and they said they will send us a new receiver. They said it would be a Homecast. Doubt it has PVR so I guess I will hook-up a DVD Recorder instead.

I suppose I could ignore the receiver they send us and buy our own reciever anyway. Seems like as long as it accepts their type of smartcard, it should work?

Thanks again for all the advice.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)