Newbie - Fta

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mack2bm

Original poster
Mar 28, 2006
:hungry: Hi all, I am Mack, a newbie to this site and the world of FTA which I discovered about a month ago. I just bought a FTA package but is going through some posts to find some answers. I am in NYC - BRONX and is presently trying to install by system (with the help of a freind).

welcome :wave

I moved this to the FTA area. Please post your questions here :)

What kind of system did you get?

I got me two Coolsat 5000 platinum
IVACOM LNB - QPH-031 (with PANSAT 4x1 DisEqC swithch - SUPERMINI)
STAB HH90

According to stabusals.us, my Latitude is 40.8 N and Longitude 73.9 W. The elevation should be 38.6. I am in New York (The Bronx). Was trying to set up with the help of a friend who has some knowledge but still no channels. I got strong signal & strength from maybe two satellites but after scanning nothing appears on screen. This picture of a remote pointed at a television is all I can see with the bold writing "NO CHANNEL". I guess both of us need to be placed in a barrel:confused: We are considering starting from scratch. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

ICE - Viewing your expertise on these subject matters (from you responses) - you should consider teaching classes on the specifics.:up . I am still lost where some of these terminologies are concerned. Hope to get somewhere close one day.

I would hook it up without the motor first to get an idea of where you need to be.
Your lat/longitude is right and SBS6 is your true south.

elevation of a fixed dish is 43
azimuth is about 195

So put your dish at 43 elevation and straight south
make sure you are using one of the ports on the LNB that says "L" and remove ALL switches

Go into the setup menu and select SBS6. It should be in there. Set up the LNB as follows
LNB Single
LNB Frequency 10750
22k and Diseqc needs to be set to off

Save it (exit out) and go into Manual Scan. There should be a transpnoder that has the following
-frequency 11742
-polarity H
-symbol rate 6616
That is Ohio News network and is very strong.

Now you should have red bars at the bottom that fluxuate. The bottom one is the one to worry about. When you have signal, they turn green. Slowly turn the dish west a little bit and WAIT 5 seconds before moving again. Ku takes a while to acknowledge the signal. When the quality bar turns green, then you are on the signal and you can fine tune.

ICE - Viewing your expertise on these subject matters (from you responses) - you should consider teaching classes on the specifics.:up . I am still lost where some of these terminologies are concerned. Hope to get somewhere close one day.

no thanks....I'm not real good in front of crowds :)

Sorry Ice, my system is a motorized system. This may sound real dumb but please bear with me. On the LNB there are 4 ports/lines, whatever: - C L C L and on the motor a hook for RECEIVER and Line. How should I connect these using my two receivers? Sorry to be such a pain and a thickheaded one.:D

I know its a motorized but for the time being try to pick up the satellite without the motor installed so you can get the jist of where in the sky the satellites are :)

The C L C L are for the 2 different types of signals
C-Circular (Dish Network & Bell ExpressVu)
L-Linear (everything else)

For the time being, hook the line from the "L" port to the reciever.

How should I connect these using my two receivers?

Do you have just one switch or two?

If you want just the linear stuff, hook the lines fron the 2 "L" ports to the 2 receivers

Once you get signal, then hook it up as such (same for each reciever)

cable from "C" to port 2 of switch
cable from "L" to port 1 of switch

repeat for toher switch...make sure box is off (switch on back is off) when adding/removing switches

I Tried the set-up ICE explained but still nothing ha changed. I am now more familiar with the LNB and swith. However, my question is, do I connect the receiver to the end of the switch marked "RECEIVER" (sounds silly), and where do I connect the line (REC) from the motor? Can I connect the line (LNB) on the motor to any port on the LNB (L or C)? Any advise would be greatly appreciated. I do feel really silly jut getting into this FTA thing. I have been trying for about 2 weeks now and can't get the thing up and running.:confused:

:confused: I'm not sure if my recent reply went through as it is not showing on this thread. I had asked a few dum questions. After more than 2 weeks I am still having problems setting up. ICE gave me some good pointers in setting up but I think I might be missing some pieces as I am so new to this world of FTA. Here goes: -

how should I connect to the ports on the motor (LNB REC)? Should the receiver be connected to one of the ports on the 4-way switch mark LNB1, LNB2, LNB3, LNB4; or should it be connected to the line on the switch that says receiver? If the line on the motor (LNB) connects to the LNB, can I connect it to port C/L? Is it because of my connection or me not being able to lock in on a satellite why I am still seeing the same thing on my TV screen " NO CHANNEL" (A picture with a remote pointed at a TV)? HELP! I AM DESPERATE!

When it's all done it'll go:

Receiver --> (rec port) Motor (lnb port) --> DiSEqC Switch --> LNB outputs

What many will reccomend is eliminating the motor and switch so that you can get some channels scanned in. You want to do this so that you have something valid to point at when setting up the motor. This eliminates places for a setting to be wrong.

When doing this simply connect the reciever right to the L or C on the LNB, as is appropriate for what you are trying to hit. You would use one of the 'L' ports for SBS6.

Last edited:
Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts