SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
I was able to get my dish today from Fedex a day late by
driving to pick it up myself. oddly the map system drivers use
did not have my address.

Spent a few minutes to figure out how to bolt everything together
(directions were not very clear).
it is either 85 or 90cm in size and came with roof mount.
directions said it was model 85R5 while invoice says 90cm.

has a standard KU .5db LNB inserted on arm.

carried it outside on my patio and set an approx elevation .
connected it as follows using 75 feet of RG6 cable (plus jumper).

twinhan 1020 -> sf 95 -> LNB

after some rotation I heard a loud beep - meter registered 9
I locked the dish in place temporarily.
noticed it was very sensitive to elevation changes - changes made signal disappear.

my signal strength on software was 80 but quality level= 0?

I am not sure if I needed to switch to a circular LNB or
if my program settings were incorrect.

also tried changing the skew (rotation) of LNB and using direct connection to LNB as options.

Software Settings:

Using newest Twinhan DTV program for the software v 2.432

Configuration

Dish: Dish 1
Type: Fixed
LNB Setup: Setup 1

LNB Setup 1 is
Power: On
LNB Type:Custom : 10750, 0
(choices: Normal - Freq 1: 5150 Freq 2: 5750
Universal - Freq 1: 10600 Freq 2: 9750
Custom - your input values)
22Khz Tone: Disable
Tone Burst: Disable
Data Burst: Disable
Diseqc - disable

packed it back inside but
will try again tomorrow when it is daylight and less cold/not raining.

any suggestions welcomed.

thank you

no luck

tried again today and it appears the no quality situation was caused by line of sight issue with trees and/or a building.
only solution in my particular situation seems to be moving.
until then I will not be able to use the dish unfortunately,

It sounds like you have the correct LNB LO Frequency set. Before giving up on it mess with the transponder frequency and symbol rate.

What satellite/program are you shooting for? I would pick G10R or IA5 to start as these satellite have transponders that are always on.

Give us somemore info and maybe we can help before you give up totally, you already bought the stuff you might as well give it another shot.

Wholeshoe

Thanks

Thanks I am not giving up - knew there were issues with line of sight already from trying to install a d* system when I first moved here.
This was just a test to see what if anything I could get while still living here.

I have limited options of satelite to aim for several are for sure blocked.

My apt lease rules are that I cant go off my patio with the dish.
I cant go higher because it is two stories with another patio above mine.

at my last apt I put the 18" dish on a pole high enough to see above the roof of my dwelling (while still on my patio).

Otherwise I would have been trying to "see" the satellite through a wall.
I have that same issue here for most satellites as true south is behind the wall and a one story building is in the way

One thing I remember seeing here was someone who put their dish inside looking out a window which happened to face a like direction in their apt.
(unsure if that worked for them)

what threw me was the level of signal to have absolutely no quality.

does anyone know how quality is measured is it related to number of error corrections? also if signal was encrypted would it not be able to get a quality level reading without being able to decrypt?

I got a signal of 5 if dish is inside and 80 outside when pointed correctly for that sat. SF95 was at 9 for signal level.

I think around 250-260 Az with 40-50 elevation range.

enclosed is small map of area I drew (not to scale)

Attachments

• map.JPG
    map.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 201
I have a TV Based Receiver and not a computer card. On both of my boxes I get signal and quality on any DVB transpoder and have no reason to believe you won't either.

Pick a transponder and sat from www.lyngsat.com and try to tune it in. If you can't get dish network try something further east like IA5. Enter that TP and Symbol rate for a DVB transponder and try it, if that doesn't work try another satellite a ways either east or west from that one.

Wholeshoe

fataf said:

does anyone know how quality is measured is it related to number of error corrections? also if signal was encrypted would it not be able to get a quality level reading without being able to decrypt?
I see signal strength high/signal quality zero all the time when repointing. I can get good signal strength by pointing at a wall. Signal strength, in this context, is pretty worthless.

Yes, encrypted signals typically come through as good quality; you just don't get to actually watch them. :)

Just out of curiosity, are you sure that you are not pointing at a D*tv DBS sat? That would explain why you have a signal on the sf95, but no signal quality at all on your DVB box.

I found the same thing when i hooked my satworks 3618 up to D*tv 18" dish that was pointed to 110w. I was able to get signal strength (by a sf95 signal meter, not the worthless "signal strength" meter that the satworks 3618 displays) but was unable to get any signal quality on the satworks. Once i got that dish repointed to 119 (for audio and nasa channels) then i not only recieved signal strength via the sf95, but also signal quality from the satworks.

The way I use the sf95 is to turn the gain up fairly high ( so that the needle is around 5 without pointing the LNB at anything), but not so high that the meter peaks to 10 without pointing it at anything. Then attempt to point at a sat, when the needle goes above 5 you are gettin close to sat signal. Lots of time the meter will go all the way to 10 when you are close to the sat, when you get a strong signal like that turn down the gain again till the needle on the meter is at 5, and adjust the dish some more. Keep doing this until the slightest touch on the dish from any direction causes the needle to drop. You should be on the sat, fine tune from there. I have aimed 18" and 30 " dishes this way, and also used it to help aim my BUD, but of course your mileage may vary ;)

Good Luck.

again

Okay
tried again today with same results as before.

carload - I can get good signal strength by pointing at a wall. Signal strength, in this context, is pretty worthless.

Was able to see that indeed you do get a high signal strength on DVB card when outside no matter the dish setting. However the sf95 meter did not register anything at these positions.

drhydro - Just out of curiosity, are you sure that you are not pointing at a D*tv DBS sat?
It is possible but unsure what exact satellite I was pointing at
I just used a cheap compass for general positioning. unsure the exact Az angle when signal was found. elevation was 45 deg approx.
a birddog meter would be useful for telling me a satellite ID but expensive.

your signal finder usage instructions are like what came with the meter.
I however just started with the gain already at its lowest setting (jump was from 1 to 9. never changed this gain setting and now I am wondering if it was too low and I missed some signals.

I will try it again.

What is your zip code?
Get a compass.
Point at something east of 101 since you had problems with DTV or point at something east of 110 if it is Dish Network.

Try AMC 3 http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html

Don't bother moving the skew on the LNBF for now.
Signal guilt is what it all about.

If this does not work go get a DTV/Dish Network 18" dish and LNBF and set your LO to 11250. If you can't get 63.5, 81, 92, 110, 119 then move the dish to another location somehow.

>One thing I remember seeing here was someone who put their dish inside >looking out a window which happened to face a like direction in their apt.
>(unsure if that worked for them)
This works for DTV, Dish Network, and Bell BUT only because these birds put out the juice (upto 120 Watt per transponder) that the others do not. This is why they are a good place to start when it comes to FTA.

Good luck!

fataf said:
Thanks I am not giving up - knew there were issues with line of sight already from trying to install a d* system when I first moved here.
This was just a test to see what if anything I could get while still living here.

I have limited options of satelite to aim for several are for sure blocked.

My apt lease rules are that I cant go off my patio with the dish.
I cant go higher because it is two stories with another patio above mine.

at my last apt I put the 18" dish on a pole high enough to see above the roof of my dwelling (while still on my patio).

Otherwise I would have been trying to "see" the satellite through a wall.
I have that same issue here for most satellites as true south is behind the wall and a one story building is in the way

One thing I remember seeing here was someone who put their dish inside looking out a window which happened to face a like direction in their apt.
(unsure if that worked for them)

I got a signal of 5 if dish is inside and 80 outside when pointed correctly for that sat. SF95 was at 9 for signal level.

I think around 250-260 Az with 40-50 elevation range.

enclosed is small map of area I drew (not to scale)

tested again

Get a compass.
Point at something east of 101 since you had problems with DTV or point at something east of 110 if it is Dish Network.

Try AMC 3 http://www.lyngsat.com/amc3.html

AMC-3 is blocked for me in my location

First sat I might possibly see is XM Rock 115.0W.

The next satellites are Satmex 5 116.8W and Anik E2 118.7W.
had to be pointed at one of these sats.

There are clear line of sight issues and it gets worse because the elevation drops as I move across. The trees are very tall and surround me.

I would go for Satmex 5 then. XM Rock is not a KU sat it uses another freq. Also find a sat location program or web site and put your zip in to find the sat locations for your area.

http://www.lyngsat.com/sm5.html

Good luck!

fataf said:
AMC-3 is blocked for me in my location

First sat I might possibly see is XM Rock 115.0W.

The next satellites are Satmex 5 116.8W and Anik E2 118.7W.
had to be pointed at one of these sats.

There are clear line of sight issues and it gets worse because the elevation drops as I move across. The trees are very tall and surround me.

finished

I would go for Satmex 5 then. XM Rock is not a KU sat it uses another freq. Also find a sat location program or web site and put your zip in to find the sat locations for your area.

yes I knew this just listed XM rock to point out the first sat in viewable range not behind a wall/building. I already have the sat finder java program which is how I knew it was hopeless in my particular location due to lower elevations.

I was trying for 4 days to get anything valid - only was able to see satmex5 sat with no quality repeatedly.
The good thing is I wanted to move from here anyway.

Twinhan DTV Setup problems HELP

Hi,

Does anyone here know how to setup Twinhan DTV to be able of scanning channels on Echostar 5,8 satellite 110.

Im having problesm here because on the list of satellites from Twinhan DTV Echostar 5,8 is not an option and even if it was and option I don't know what to put on the values.

Any straight foward to get this working?

THanks on advance

:)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)