Newbie - intro/LNB questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

fataf

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 7, 2005
I am new to this forum and have done some reading recently on FTA,
This sounds like a hobby I will be very interested in.

Owned the DirectTV system from SONY when it was new in 90s.
Self install of this system was very easy.
discarded (gave to someone) when moved to location with trees and no way to avoid them.

During testing found a signal from some other satellite which I assume was the Dish system

Switched to cable -then digital cable - now rabbit ears

Anyway there is possibility I am moving again due to my work
and this time I will choose my housing location to be more satellite friendly.

I had some questions about LNBS
There are 3 kinds for FTA correct?

1 DBS
which has a circular polarization (left/right)

2-3 KU linear polarization (Horizontal/Vertical)
this type is split into standard and universal
the difference is the LO for the universal has a wider freq range
and will pick up more stations

Is there a big price difference between these two KU LNBs?
what is a good quality universal unit?
(also how do you measure the quality of a LNB)

Also would a Sony LNB that has the LED which flashes faster when you find a signal help avoid the need of a signal meter.

If so I am looking for another one of these used.

Thanks
fataf

Hello Fataf and welcome to the SatelliteGuys.US forum!

You have done your home work! The quality of an LNBF is measured in the noise level, I use a 0.5, but there are some out there at 0.3, and the price range from around $25-$125.

Don't think the flashing DBS LNB will help much finding satellites, but the receiver can be used if you can see the TV from your dish, watch the signal quality meter and use that as a guide.

I have a Fortec Star Universal LNBF and it works great but really only brings in one extra channel, Cubavision, so unless you are interested in this channel a standard KU will work.

Call your local satellite dealer and they may well have a used system for sale I know I usually do. Good Luck I am sure you will enjoy the hobby and you are at the best place to get help with your install if needed, there is always someone around here who will help : )

thanks for help

>Don't think the flashing DBS LNB will help much finding satellites, but the >receiver can be used if you can see the TV from your dish, watch the signal >quality meter and use that as a guide.

Thanks for your info about the Sony LNBs.
I knew about the receiver trick but working from outside did not seem as practical.

2 small pieces of my system a 4x1 Disecq switch and a Sony Single DBS LNB are purchased.
Found on ebay a Fortec .5db KU Universal LNB at the $25 delivered price level you mentioned. should be okay for my starter low budget system I guess.

>Call your local satellite dealer and they may well have a used system for sale >I know I usually do.

I will check into this next week. Not familiar with any local dealers but
found a dealer in my state at http://www.dmsiusa.com/

DMSI don't sell to the public, but if you go to their web site it may help you find a dealer, if not, any dealer can drop ship anything from the DMSI stock anywhere in the country, DMSI are a great company run with near military precision : )

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts