Newbie question....

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

schnitz411

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
May 22, 2008
Hi all-
Relatively new to all of this stuff and need some guidance.
Have a new Coolsat 7100. To slightly complicate matters its hooked up to and old dish thats being actually aimed by an old Motorola 4DTV. Once we know we have the dish pointed correctly from the channels we can get on C-band, we set the Coolsat to the equivelant Ku sat and run scans. We are getting mixed results though and in some cases can't find something we know is up there. I think part of our problem is the lack of good documentation for the Coolsat and not understanding the various search options that well and the Coolsat interface. For example it often finds most of the channels on frequences that lyngsat doesn't list, but misses things that are almost definetly unscrambled and are confirmed recently on lyngsat.

At the end of the day, the question is basically this.

If for a Ku-band transmission we have the DL freq, polarity and symbol rate (and obviously which sat it is), whats the simple way to do as narrow/fast a search as possible to try to find the feed? Blind/Auto/Manual/Advanced etc...

Thanks for any advice or helpful documentation!

Welcome to the group :)

basically the scans go like this
blind = searches for all transmissions wild feeds ect ( if you have it set that way
auto= searches the transponders listed in the coolsat already
manual = is a search to manually enter the transponder and signal rate
advanced = is a more advanced search than manual where you can enter the pids

for finding new stuff blind scan is the one to use

but there is also something not listed in you post , which is linked to the question above from Lak7. which lnb or lnbf are you using . if its a corotor type feedhorn then the 4dtv receiver is also controling the polarity. so in this case you might only be getting vertical or horizontal channels unless you use the 4dtv to change the polarity (or go up or down one channel on the 4dtv)

if you are using one of the newer lnbf's like the bsc621 then the coolsat can switch the polarity on that.

are you using a splitter to connect the coolsat into the loop?

We're checking on the LNB/LNBF -- its hard to get at and was recently installed by a contractor so finding out what they put on there.
In terms of wiring:
The signal runs down to the Coolsat, and out the Coolsat to the Motorola.
The Motorola is connected to the motor directl.y

Does your C-Band (BUD) dish have a ku-Band lnb on it? I'm sure it has a C-Band lnb on it, so do a Blind Search/Scan for C-Band DVB signals. The L.O. frequency should be set to 5150 (Standard). There are actually better FTA found on C-Band, in my opinion....??

Its a Pat 1208HA.
Marked KU PL LNB.

Hope that sheds some wisdom.

I would have thought the easiest thing to do would be pick up a certain feed wqhen you had the bird, frequency, symbol rate, polarity and FEC already known...but I guess not.

We've tried, for example, a manual search on a narrow band of frequencies with the symbol rate and polarity set and it just finds nothing....

sounds like there must be a corotor involved
there should be three small wires from the servo motor on the corotor that run to the 4dtv to control the polarity & skew. with this connected depending on what satellite your pointed at the changing channels would change the polarity ....

so if your on a satellite and received nothing on the scan with the coolsat... change the channel on the 4dtv ( if the servo wires are connected ) and scan again.

another thing to remember is the LO for the KU (10750) is different than the LO for c-band (5150) these would have to be changed ( in the coolsat menu) each time you swap. i have set up in my coolsat 5000 one satellite for each so i don't have to change it each time .
also you should have two coaxs from the feedhorn one for ku and one for c-band ... this is where the bud switch kit mentioned above comes into play ... makes it easy to switch between freq.

if you don't have the switch kit you would have to manually swap the coax each time you want either c-band or ku. on the coolsat

Its a Pat 1208HA
is a high end older pll ku lnb with a noise level of .08 but like i said a very stable / high end lnb if its working should be very good.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)