Newbie(sort of) wanting advice

Status
Please reply by conversation.

jdc2006

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Dec 30, 2006
I've been installing DirecTv Sats for four months now. Before I didn't have a clue about how sat systems work. I'm still learning. I've recently stumbled across the FTA transmissions and thought about trying it out. I have a few questions though. Dish and Directv use stationary dishes no motors. Some of dishes can look at other sats but their still stationary. I was wondering how the motorized dishes work. Say you install the dish to look at one particular bird, when you want to change birds will the receiver automatically know where to look if you have it locked in on a particular satellite? The older large dishes were a little bit before my time and I never had a chance to experience them. I'm really only experienced with the 18" and triple sat dishes from directv. I've just recently started installing the slimline version which looks at five directv sat. locations. I have access to all the directv Lnbs I want but I know these will not work for FTA. I also have access to multiswitches used for Directv will these work for FTA? They are mainly the zinwell 4x4 and 6x8 multiswitches. I was wondering if they had a package for sale which sold the reciever, dish and Lnb and if so what would be a good package to buy. I had read that a 30" dish is the minimum size to purchase. I live in the coastal region of NC so maybe given that info someone can point me in the right direction as to what to buy. I have a Birdog satellite meter and as far as I can tell the meter will pick up and lock onto the FTA sats. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and give me a link as to a starter package I can buy that has everything i'll need to start. Here is what I'm looking for in the package.

-Motorized Dish- the bigger the better I read but I don't want to go over 40"

-Lnb

-Switch which will allow me to connect multiple receivers

-receiver which has a reputation of being a good FTA receiver.

Also please explain to me the difference in a Universal and Standard LNB.

Dish and Directv use stationary dishes no motors. Some of dishes can look at other sats but their still stationary. I was wondering how the motorized dishes work. Say you install the dish to look at one particular bird, when you want to change birds will the receiver automatically know where to look if you have it locked in on a particular satellite?
for a motorized setup, you aim the dish at your treu south satellite. This is the satellite at the same longitude as you and would be the highest in the sky. As an example, I am at 45N 93W so my true south is IA6 at 93W. You have to set up each satellite but once its set up, when you want o change satellite, the motor does the rest :)

I have access to all the directv Lnbs I want but I know these will not work for FTA.
The KA ones wil not work and the DBS there isnt much on there that is FTA. You would need a KU Band LNB (the Superdish uses a KU Band for 121 or 105)

I also have access to multiswitches used for Directv will these work for FTA? They are mainly the zinwell 4x4 and 6x8 multiswitches.
The 4x4 allows you to hook 2 dual LNB's to 4 recievers. The 6x8 would work as a 4x8 (the FTA boxes don't work with the flex port). I have a few 4x4 and 3x4 multiswitches in my setup

I was wondering if they had a package for sale which sold the reciever, dish and Lnb and if so what would be a good package to buy.
check out the gold sponsers above like Sadoun, SAtAV, and gosatellite. All sell packages

I had read that a 30" dish is the minimum size to purchase. I live in the coastal region of NC so maybe given that info someone can point me in the right direction as to what to buy.
a 30" is the minimum and will get you 99% of the KU channels 99% of the time. When it rains, the signal can go down. A bigger dish helps with the weaker signals

I have a Birdog satellite meter and as far as I can tell the meter will pick up and lock onto the FTA sats.
yes it will

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction and give me a link as to a starter package I can buy that has everything i'll need to start. Here is what I'm looking for in the package.

-Motorized Dish- the bigger the better I read but I don't want to go over 40"

-Lnb

-Switch which will allow me to connect multiple receivers

-receiver which has a reputation of being a good FTA receiver.
see above. Gold sponsers are really good.

Also please explain to me the difference in a Universal and Standard LNB.

KU has 2 bands. Low & High
Low is from 10.7-11.7
High is form 11.7-12.2
DBS is from 12.2-12.75

A Standard LNB just gets the high band whereas a Universal gets both high & low. They are a necessity in Europe but here in North America there is one satellite that needs it and that is PAS9 at 58W for Cubavision. A standard LNB is what most of us use :)

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)