Status
Please reply by conversation.

nathan56989

Original poster
Jan 17, 2008
I'm completely oblivious to FTA.

I have heard few conversation about it, and seems pretty interesting to me.
I have a couple questions:
When I do a search on the internet for FTA systems. Is that all I need to buy to install this system, and make it work?
Can I install all of this equipment , and aim the satelite myself? I'm very handy. I just need to know if it's possible.
I have also heard that on some occasions the channels get scrambled, and you have to use your computer, and do something to the system to unscramble the channels again.
As stated above. I am COMPLETELY oblivious to any of this. Not very familiar with the abreviations used either.
Hopefully someone can help me.

I appreciate your time.

I'm completely oblivious to FTA.

I have heard few conversation about it, and seems pretty interesting to me.
I have a couple questions:
When I do a search on the internet for FTA systems. Is that all I need to buy to install this system, and make it work?
Can I install all of this equipment , and aim the satelite myself? I'm very handy. I just need to know if it's possible.
I have also heard that on some occasions the channels get scrambled, and you have to use your computer, and do something to the system to unscramble the channels again.
As stated above. I am COMPLETELY oblivious to any of this. Not very familiar with the abreviations used either.
Hopefully someone can help me.

I appreciate your time.

:welcome to SatelliteGuys,

You should be able to install the system by yourself.

If a channel is encrypted there is nothing you can do to receive the channel unless it is available for subscription and you subscribe to it.

The scrambled stuff you heard about is probably people that are hacking them. That is a big no no and we don't go along with it on this site. But as far as real FTA it is a lot of fun. I think you will like it, we have sponcers on this site that sell legal FTA stuff.

Ok I didn't know that was what they are talking about. So Free To Air does mean "free" right? I think thats the whole idea isn't it. If it is free then why would you hack it?
I'm gonna be asking a lot of questions. Just so you know.
But for the next 30 minutes I'm gonna be eating a spicy italian pizza. So I will be back to interogate later.

Well I won't get much into hack talk so it stops here but lets just say some people like to steal and get channels that they should be paying for. Yes it does mean free and there is a lot of stuff up there. So fire away with any question you except for hacking.

Ok, I just wasn't understanding why someone would want to steal something that was free to begin with. Now I understand that there are channles you have to pay for to get. Thanks for that.
So say I buy a complete system. (which is probably gonna happen sometime soon.)
How do I know where to position the dish. (I.E. coordinance?)
When I buy one of the complete "start up" systems. Is that EVERYTHING that I need?
Then when it is installed how do I get the signal to the Television?(I know there is a receiver) I just need to know about the wiring I guess. Do I just tie into where the Cable comes in the house and just use the same cable outlets that are in my walls already? Or does new coax cable have to be ran in order to make everything work?

I'm hoping these questions make since becasue they don't to me..... J/K.

You will need a dedicated coaxial cable (RG-6) from the location you plan on installing the dish to the receiver inside your house.

Take a look at TheList to see some channels that are available 24/7. With FTA there are many feeds that show up during events and leave once the event is over, for this you need to make sure you get a receiver that can blind scan or smart search (The same thing but different manufacturers call it by different names).

Also take a look at SatelliteGuys_TheList_Angle_Calculator to see what satellites you can receive from your location as long as there are not any obstacles blocking the sky.

Last edited:
Ok.
So If I wanted a receiver in the family room, living room, and my bedroom. Do I have to run 3 separate RG-6 cables from the dish?

Ok.
So If I wanted a receiver in the family room, living room, and my bedroom. Do I have to run 3 separate RG-6 cables from the dish?

First you have to determine if you will want FTA in three rooms, you have to remember that is may not substitute all cable or subscription television.
After you decide if you want it in multiple rooms then you have to decide which satellites you want to receive, you also have to decide if you are doing to use fixed dishes or a motor system.
Fixed dishes are better if you are going to use multiple receiver, but a motorized system will allow you to see all available satellites at your location.

If you use a fixed dish then you can run three coaxial cables to a switch (close to all three rooms) and then a single longer run to the dish. (It all depends on what you decide to use for your setup)

You are correct. I'm not sure if I want to completely substitute it for regualr cable.
All I want it for is the discovery channel, history channel, and ESPN. Let me know if that is possible. If thats the only three channels I get I don't care. LOL.
This si where it get complicated to me. Say I do use 3 receivers. How can you watch something completely different on one tv, than what's on the others. I means say one television is on one channel, and the other tv you want to watch from another satellite? Doesn't the dish have to move (if I'm using a motorized unit). If it does have to move how does that work.

Hopefully that makes some since.

It appears you are on line right now, so Though I know little, I will try to answer. I believe the first two are not FTA at all, I have caught some ESPN on my fta system, but have not been able to repeat, so if that is all you want, you will need a subscription system (pizza dish) not FTA. But if you get a FTA system, you probably would get hooked on what is not on Subs. and well, HobbyTime it will be!

Those are all pay-tv channels, avail from cable or DBS satellite providers.
FTA isn't an alternative means to get subscription channels, but the programming you find with fta may eventually make you forget all that other stuff!

I remember when I was younger my uncle had free to air. This was about 15 years ago. He had this ginormous dish in his yard. Is that the samething, but now more refined? Cause he had some kick ass channels. (as far as I can remember.)

I remember when I was younger my uncle had free to air. This was about 15 years ago. He had this ginormous dish in his yard. Is that the samething, but now more refined? Cause he had some kick ass channels. (as far as I can remember.)

Back in the old days, alot of the channels were not encrypted and you could pick up some of the channels you referred to. As time went on and BUD (Big Ugly Dish) became popular, the channels became encrypted, then you had to purchase a package to view them (much like you need to for D*, E*, etc today).

The FTA channels that are talked about in these forums refer to unencrypted signals only. There are times when a news program or sports game will pop up on one of the sats (you don't know where or when), these are called wildfeeds.

For Ku band, the size of the dish should be 31" or larger. For C band digital, you will need at least a 6ft dish.

FTA in the United States basically refers to using a satellite dish to intercept transmissions that are not intended for direct-to-home viewing. There are exceptions to this, such as the many religious channels up there, but most of what we are watching is programming being sent to broadcasters and cable headends for them to redistribute or edit. We eavesdrop on these satellite transmissions, and many of them are very cool indeed. As long as the signal is not scrambled (i.e., it is "In The Clear" or ITC), it is legal to receive it.

That being said, you will usually not find premium channels or movie channels up there in the clear. You will find a good bit of news, some locals from other cities, and foreign channels. You never know what will turn up! :D

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)